Rippon Lea Estate

Rippon Lea Estate

Rippon Lea is the last of Australia's great privately owned 19th century suburban estates to survive largely intact. Commissioned by Frederick Sargood in 1868, the house, designed by Joseph Reed is in the Lombardic Romanesque style. The extensive garden retains 14 of the original 45 acres, and features a lake, grotto, gardens, buildings and a magnificent fernery. The garden was preserved by the last owners Ben Nathan and his daughter Louisa Jones. Mrs Jones modified the interior of the house in the 1930s, adding a glamorous Hollywood-style swimming pool. Mrs Jones gave Rippon Lea to the Nation, in care of The National Trust in the 1970s.

Address: 
192 Hotham Street, Elsternwick, VIC
Tel: 
0395236095
Hours: 
10.00am - 5.00pm daily. Closed Christmas and Good Friday.
Admission: 
Free to National Trust Members, charges apply to non-members.
Facilities: 
Café and shop, guided tours of house and garden, wheelchair toilet and limited access to house, education programs, function centre and wedding facilities, brochures, reference library.
Collection: 
Approximately 1200 items, plus mansion and 14 acre garden. Historic house set in 14 acres of 19th Century pleasure grounds, with varied collection of furniture and furnishings.
Share

Items

Oil painting

Glory

Creator:
J.A. Rixens
Description:
1.75m X 1.5m oil painting shown at 1888 Melbourne exhibition
Date:
c.1883
Item Id Number:
197

Furniture

Dining Suite

Creator:
Myers & Rocke, Melbourne
Description:
Heavily carved walnut dining suite for 30 people consisting of 2 tables, 30 chairs, sideboard and cabinet.
Date:
c.1938-39
Item Id Number:
313-316

Furnishings

Drawing Room Carpet

Description:
Late Victorian green carpet with gold border design in drawing room at Rippon Lea house.
Date:
c.1897

Piano

Baby Grand Piano

Description:
Cream painted baby grand owned by Jones family.
Date:
c.1930s
Item Id Number:
653

Statue

Description:
White cararra marble statue of female figure with urn, displayed in conservatory of Rippon Lea house.
Date:
c.1910
Item Id Number:
521