Edithburgh Museum Inc

The Museum presents interpretive displays on the local shipping history, salt industry, and settlement of Troubridge Agricultural Area which includes settlement of Edithburgh and district.

Address: 
Edith Street, Edithburgh, SA
Tel: 
0888526187
Hours: 
2pm-4pm Sun, public holidays and school holidays, also by appointment
Admission: 
Adults $2, children 20c
Facilities: 
Limited disabled access, guided tours, education programs
Collection: 
Approx 15000 items, 1000 photographs
Share

Items

Ship's telegraph

Clan Ronald, wrecked 1909

Creator:
Chadburns, Liverpool, UK
Description:
Bridge to focsle telegraph, metal, 116mm high, from SS Clan Ranald, Troubridge Hill, wrecked 31 Jan 1901 with 40 lives lost.
Date:
circa 1900
Item Id Number:
433

Map

Edithburgh original linen map

Creator:
A. Vaughan, Photo-Lithographer, Adelaide
Description:
Map on linen, 1980mm x 1340mm, showing Edithburgh Corporation boundaries, 1882.
Date:
1910
Item Id Number:
918

Oil painting

Mary

Creator:
J. Day or A. Day
Description:
Oil on canvas, framed; portraying Aboriginal nursemaid to the Day family. J Day, the first mayor of Edithburgh, is reputed to be the artist.
Date:
circa 1880-90
Item Id Number:
287

Jar

Castle Salt Jar

Description:
Glass jar used to contain table salt, no lid, 157mm high, with Castle Salt Co-operative Coy embossed on side. The Castle Salt Co. factory at Edithburgh processed salt from lakes to table.
Date:
1890-1920
Item Id Number:
315

Trophy

The Standard Cup

Description:
Sterling silver cup, 320mm high, engraved: "Edithburgh Aquatic Carnival, The Standard Cup, Presented by Directors of Standard Salt Coy, 100 yards swimming race for salt workers".
Date:
1920
Item Id Number:
1288