Local History

The Cohuna & District Historical Society Inc was established in 1970 and meetings were held in the old library at the Memorial Hall until 1984. The Museum, which received accreditation from Museums Australia in May 2001, is now housed in the former Presbyterian Church (built 1922). A Co-operative was formed to purchase the Scots Church Hall to house and display the growing collection of artefacts, photos and records. Our main fundraising activity is conducted in the old Sunday School Hall where we have Quarterly Trash & Treasure sales. The Archive & Photographic Collections are housed in the...
The small, four room miner's cottage is a replica of one destroyed by fire in 1991. It contains basic furnishing from the era of the original cottage. The Research Group also maintains an archive collection relating to the development of Ringwood. Archivist at "archives" address on Mondays only, hours approximately: 9.30am-4.30pm.
The Museum collection includes early photographs of the town, displays of the local history of some early buildings, farm accessories, and other items used mainly in the early days.Approximately 750 items
The Society is based in a room within the classified former Mechanics Institute and its holdings include local records. Three books on the history of Oakleigh are available for purchase - Candlelight on Broadway, Oakleigh's Golden Days (illustration only) and One Hundred Good Years (the story of Oakleigh Council).Papers, Rate Books, 1000 Photographs
Files, books and photographs of historical and current interest are amongst this collection. A vast collection of costume and memorabilia is stored at the public library. This material forms the basis of special displays which are occasionally mounted in the library foyer.
The Nunawading and District Historical Society Inc. maintains a furnished cottage (c1885) built from local stone, a barn, wine cellar, blacksmith's shop, smokehouse, a museum and an orchard and domestic machine area.About 3,000 artifacts including costumes, lace, handicrafts, tiles and clay products, orchard farming implements, toys, blacksmith's forge and tools, antique furniture and domestic equipment. There are also 3,000 photographs and more than 3,500 documents, books and maps.

The museum is accredited under the Victorian Museum Accreditation Program. It operates the original Ballarat Vintage Tramway system within the Botanical Gardens Reserve. Its aims are to conserve, display and maintain the various tramway artifacts in order to create a living reminder of Ballarat's past. The collection consists of 16 trams, some of which operate over 1.31km of track along Wendouree Parade. A display and sales area are located at the depot, which also houses the museum's archives and collection. Access to the collection can be arranged during opening hours. School charters with...

The Society's collection is housed in the Ballan Court House. Built in 1873 and closed in 1983, the Court House was re-opened in 1990 as a local history record and resource centre. The collection consists of books, documents and photographs relevant to the Ballan Shire (1838 to the present day).1000 items
Some rooms in the homestead and the outbuildings contain period furnishings, fittings or equipment. There are also displays of photographs and artefacts (including agricultural equipment) relating to the history of Knox. The research centre next door to the museum collects documents, photographs, newspapers, books, genealogical records and audio-visual material for local history and family history.1,500 artefacts, 8,000 general photographs, 18,000 local school photographs, documents, books and microfiche. The museum also holds the Ferntree Gully Pioneer Index on a genealogical computer...
The Hazelman family were early pioneers in the Kyabram district. Their four-roomed mud brick and slab timber cottage is situated within the Fauna Park and now contains an interesting collection of memorabilia, photographs and period furniture. Items in the cottage include children's toys, a sewing basket on legs, a very old wireless and a medicine chest. Other features include a blacksmith's shed and a machine shed containing buggies and various machines.600 items including 1927 Chevrolet Van which was used by Chinese markey gardener to sell vegtables from and a Scouts cart made by the...
This classified Station was jointly built by Victoria and South Australia from 1887-1889, on the Disputed Territory. The Station presents displays of local and railway memorabilia. Tours of its fourteen main rooms (including a dungeon) are available by arrangement.
Housed in the original free library, built in 1875, the museums strength is its local history collection.The society holds a range of research material including family and local histories, photographs, newspapers, rate books, cemetery records, memorabilia and public and microfiche records.
Main Building - collection of Pyramid Hill and District memorabilia yesteryear.
Annex - Machinery, Tools etc
RSL Hall - Display of service memorabilia, honour boards, photos of soldiers etc.
Large collections of photographs and family history archives available for research.Over 500 objects catalogued. Local community archival records. We produce books for family history research from Pyramid Hill Advertiser.
Housed in the Mechanics' Institute building, Sorrento, a limestone building classified by the National Trust. The Museum contains artefacts, Aboriginal relics, photographs and documents, models, nineteenth century fashions and household equipment, examples of early technology, shipwreck relics and memorabilia from pioneering families and the great George Coppin. The museum has received accreditation from Museums Australia.Approximately 4000 items some 2000 of which are photographs. The collection covers the history of the Parish of Nepean, Shire of Mornington Peninsula, ie. Rye, Sorrento and...
The Museum and Library of the Society is housed in the hundred year old former Heidelberg Court House, complete with many original furnishings. The regularly changing displays of artefacts, photographs, prints and maps provide an informative insight into the development of Heidelberg and district.2000 items, 2000 photograph
Constructed in 1857 when the Bellarine Peninsula was an important grain growing area, this Mill was one of the first to use steam power. When it closed in 1874 the machinery was sent to the Wimmera. The building now houses pioneer and militaria artefacts.5000 objects
The Museum in John St Pakenham shares a common foyer with the Pakenham Library and houses books, paintings, plans, photos, clothes, old household objects, histories and council memorabilia.2000 items, many photographs. Good collection of local area. Local history books produced "In the Wake of the Pack Tracks", "North of the Line" and "Berwick Nostalgia". Collection of canes (approx 200). Railway memorabilia now on loan to Puffing Billy.
This small historic house was the home of the Cuttle family, founders of Robinvale. Memorabilia of the Cuttle family, especially Robin Cuttle for whom the town is named are displayed, together with some documents and photographs of the town twinning with Villers-Bretonneux.50 items
A historic bluestone wool store (1872) houses this Museum, which depicts the story of wool in Australia. Themes explore wool in the contexts of agriculture, textiles, manufacturing, science and technology, arts, craft, literature and history. Of special interest are the Axminister Jacquard carpet loom and a sock knitter.
Gulf Station is a complete farm complex of timber slab and shingle buildings dating from the mid 1850s. The homestead has a small but intricate garden of mid-Victorian design and within the complex are collections of farm tools and domestic artefacts. Traditional breeds of farm animals are still kept at the station.2000 items, 100 photographs