Local History

Buninyong is one of Victoria;s oldest communities, pre-dating gold discovery in 1851. Many historic buildings remain in this heritage township, and the historical society maintains three of these - the 1858 former courthouse, the 1884 courthouse (now the History Centre) and the 1860 Old Library. The Society collects photographs, maps and genealogical information.Paper based collection - 3000 index cards, 1000 photographs, 50 folders; also maps, letters on family history and indexes of rate cards.

This was one of several government magazines built for the safe storage of gunpowder towards the end of the 1850s when surface gold mining became exhausted and blasting was required. Miners lodged gunpowder in the magazine, paying a small rent for the service.20 objects.

Housed in one of the few remaining examples of early prefabricated building techniques is a collection of 20 horse-drawn vehicles and harnesses recalling transport of the 19th and early 20th centuries.A hearse, built and used in Beechworth, a 1906 fire-cart and a Cobb and Co. coach are highlights of the collection. Many of the vehicles remail as a direct link with Beechworth's past, having been used in the town and neighbouring areas.
The Local History Resource Centre was established in 1984 as part of the Victoria 150th Celebrations. The collection is housed in the former Ouyen Courthouse building which it shares with the Mallee Genealogical Society. The centre houses material collected from the southern part of the Rural City Council area. The photographic collection is a special feature, comprising approximately 2,500 black and white photographs. The aim of the centre is to make local history information accessible to everyone.Photographs, microfilm of the early Ouyen newspapers from 1911, including some early copies...
The Society's Museum is house in the former railway station which has been listed by Heritage Victoria. The Photographic and artefact collection related mainly to the state coal mine which operated from 1909 to 1968. Other displays relate to Wonthaggi and the various institutions which shared its history. EG co-operative store, Wonthaggi miners dispensary, union theatre, schools, sporting clubs, Wonthaggi and district hospital miners union and miners woman's auxiliary.1000 photo's (Wonthaggi and district 1909 to present), 3000 artefacts (mining tools, household artefacts, etc), 200 audio...
The restored Common School (1874) and the Salvation Army Hall (1926) now form a historical complex which is used by the Society for displays and the storage of local heritage items of historical value.Approximately 600-1000 items
The Homestead has been carefully restored and furnished in keeping with the period 1844-1851. It particularly reflects the enterprise and resourcefulness of Georgiana McCrae, diarist, artist, and musician, who raised eight children in the adverse conditions of pioneering life. A modern museum houses a collection of water colours and oil paintings by Georgiana McCrae and other family members.700 objects
Situated in the Botanical Gardens, this two storey bluestone cottage was the home of the Portland Botanical Gardens' curator. It features a bedroom, nursery, kitchen, parlour and annexe. Furnished as a late nineteenth century workman's cottage, it contains historical and domestic items relating to the Portland area, including early household implements, christening gowns and early clothing. Local history books and postcards are also available.Approximately 1500 items
This purpose-built Heritage Centre opened in 1990 as the headquarters of the Springvale and District Historical Society Inc. Galleries house temporary and travelling exhibitions. The Historical Society's collection of archives and artefacts relate to the history of the area and features maps, photographs and newspapers.Approximately 200 items and 4000 photographs
Our Museum consists of a house and various out buildings located on two town blocks in Port Welshpool. The collection is spread over the whole area. Our strong point is the early fishing industry in Corner Inlet, including a daily diary kept by the Smith family from 1887-1958. Housed in Welshpool's first residence (1881), the Museum contains a local history collection that includes natural history objects, fishing and maritime artefacts. Original display cases house a magnificent shell collection that dates from the 1800s.Our collection is the contents of the house which is now the museum,...
A treasure trove of information on local and district families and social life. mining records and memorabilia of gold rush and deep lead mining. Art works provide a significant insight into the cultural heritage of the area. Newspapers, microfilm and photograph, provide an almost complete record of the first one hundred years of settlement.Approximately 4000 items and 2000 photographs. Housed in the former Town Hall, a building classified by the National Trust - comprising notable artists and art works of historical importance. Featuring local artists Lindsay, Litherland, Moyle, Tibbits and...
The complex consists of a Victorian hand built stone cottage (by Arthur Worsley), furnished in the period and complemented by display areas depicting Maryborough's history from 1854 as well as Alfred and George Joyce's squatters' slab hut, now on the Register of the National Estate, and believed to be the oldest building in the district (circa 1844). The complex also has a new resource centre with family and district history records available for research.Approximately 1200 photographs and 1000 items. Items relating to the social history of the Maryborough District including Vic/Edwardian...
This purpose-built building was opened in 1991 and includes a Viewing Room, Archives Room and a Committee Room. The collection includes documents, photographs, slides and a map cabinet.Approximately 51 coloured photos and 360 black and white photographs plus 10 videos and 10 radio cassettes
Heritage Hill is a unique historic precinct located in the heart of Dandenong featuring three century old buildings and 2 acres of beautifully landscaped gardens. St James Anglican Church (1864); Laurel Lodge (1869); and Benga Oral History Centre and Garden (1936). survive as fine examples of 19th and 20th century architecture and represent the social, cultural and natural history of Dandenong. Through exhibitions and period rooms, visitors can gain an insight into Dandenong's transformation from a rural market town into a bustling, multicultural metropolis.Laurel Lodge and Benga House a...
Housed in the former Moe Court House, this collection consists of items of local interest including books, papers and photographs concerning the history of Moe District. Extensive collections relating to gold mining, coal mining, electricity generation, agriculture and timber milling are held.Estimated 1200 photographs and 600 documents, plus 500 items and specimens
A comprehensive and fascinating collection of early photographs, maps, collectables, historic documents, (including Camperdown Chronicles), artefacts and memorabilia.
The Bendigo Gasworks were constructed during 1859-1860 under the direction of engineer Alexander K Smith, and remained in operation until 1973. The site is an internationally significant example of an entire provincial gasworks.
The Battery was built to defend Victoria against a feared Russian invasion in 1889. A small collection of photographs and memorabilia are on display, while the underground Magazine and Lamp Passage are accessible by ladder. Three cannons were restored as part of Portland's 150th anniversary and these are fired off on official occasions.
This shingle and slab hut, situated on thirty-three acres, was occupied by the Sage family from 1853 to 1962. The farm is a working illustration of pastoral life. The cottage is used as a restaurant. It is furnished in keeping with the period and has some items of interest from the Sage family.
Steiglitz Court House is partially restored with internal furnishings. It features displays on the early gold mining history and pastoral history of the region, including interpretive and historic photos. Information is also provided on Steiglitz Historic Park and the Brisbane Ranges National Park.Approximately 100 items