This ecclesiastical collection is housed in an 1880s building and covers the history of the Catholic Church in Victoria. Photographic displays, rare books, embroidered vestments and illuminated manuscripts are housed here. An Archival and Research Centre holds official diocesan documentation, newspapers and letters.Estimated 10,000 items plus approximately 8-10,000 photographs
Situated near the home of Dame Nellie Melba, the Museum provides the only permanent display of Melba memorabilia in Australia. Housed in the 1889 Shire Offices, the Museum also offers changing thematic exhibitions. The museum has recently undergone extensive renovations and restorations and offers a new program of exhibitions and activities. Exhibitions at the Museum include the life and times of Dame Nellie Melba and the rich and diverse social history of the Yarra Valley of Victoria.Estimated 5000 artefacts plus a collection of photographs
A collector's paradise, the Museum presents over 200 collections in thirty rooms. Set amidst five acres of International Gardens (the Savill Gardens), its special attractions include the fourteenth portable gaol built in Victoria and the state's smallest church.Estimate over 1 million items
Built around 1855, the Victorian style double-storey building farmhouse is set in a spacious garden setting. It is furnished as a farmhouse of the 1875-1880 period, and is fully restored after an arson attack in 1994. Within the grounds are farm machinery, a smithy and buggy display, a Museum housing displays of artefacts, gowns and photographs and a Resource Centre.Approximately 500 items including archives and machinery
Housed in the old woodend Court House, the Resource Centre caters for local and family history inquiries. The collection is accessed by computers and a master file by over 100,000 cards. Microfilm, microfiche records, audio tapes and transcripts, school and cemetery records, photographs, rate books etc, make up the collectionEstimated 100,000 references and catalogued items
This historic hotel/boarding house (built 1876) houses a collection of furniture, crockery, glassware, gowns, and napery, library, war memoranda, saddlery, pictures, photographs, family histories, carriages, farm machinery, tools etc. The first National Bank built in nearby Longwood (1886) has been resited in the grounds of the museum.Approximately 14 rooms of exhibits, annexe, machinery shed and National Bank, Eliza Furlonge Cottage
Housed in the Old School Building (c1870), the El Dorado Museum includes a collection of domestic items, mining relics, memorabilia, farming machinery and tools of trade. Photographs show the development of mining in the area. Members of the Trust are available to meet and provide information to tour buses and school groups at the Gold Dredge.Estimate 3 school rooms and several thousand items, plus large shed of carriages and farming machinery, including a blacksmith shop
Percy Aldridge Grainger was an internationally renowned Australian concert pianist and composer. The evidence of his creative life: his archive, personal library and many of his possessions, are preserved in this unique and autobiographical museum at the University of Melbourne.The Grainger Collection is an internationally significant Australian archive and object based collection. It includes: 50,000 items of correspondence, 15,000 photographs, published and original manuscripts, music and archives relating to other Australian composer, musical instrument collection, Fine art collection and...
The former bakery houses some of the original bakery fittings and a large historical collection which includes costumes, maps, postcards, photographs, relics of the local racing industry and reminders of the municipality's heyday as a holiday, picnic and bathing resort.Approximately 2000 objects, plus 1250 photographs
A library and large collection of material from the Philippines, including books, paintings, sculpture, musical instruments, tapestries, textiles, crafts, costumes, photographs and domestic items are housed in this purpose-built exhibition Gallery. Philippines House is one of many cultural attractions at International Village.Estimated 100 rare volumes of books
The Organ Historical Trust of Australia (OHTA) aims to; preserve historic organs and organ building records, stimulate public interest in pipe organs which are of national or local importance, and the encouragement of scholarly research into the history of the organ.
Main collections include: Goldmining and life on the goldfields, R.E. Johns Aboriginal Collection, Beechworth Chinese Community Collection, Local Families, Identities Collection, Natural History and Development, Archives, Ned Kelly.In 1863 the Burke Museum was added to the Beechworth Public Library and Athenaeum (est 1856) in honour of Robert O'Hara Burke, the explorer of Burke and Wills fame. Today the Burke Museum presents cultural and natural heritage material, which contributes to the understanding and appreciation of the customs, activities, historic episodes, the natural environment and...
Historic Former Methodist buildings (CATD Memorial); with extensive archives (Methodist, Presbyterian, Congressional, Uniting Church); Small historical display and reference library. Archive financed by SYNOD of Victoria and staffed by volunteers. Part of national network of archives in Uniting Church. Undertakes research for a fee. Linked with UCA Historical Society (VIC) in Lectures and displays.A Fairly complete Methodist collection with significant holdings of Congregational and Presbyterian material and a collection of Uniting Church Archives at state and local level.
The Performing Arts Museum of the Victorian Arts Centre exists to preserve, manage and make accessible Australia's performing arts history and traditions. The Museum was founded in 1977 and since that time has worked closely with the performing arts community to build a unique collection of material which tells the story of the performing arts in Australia.The Performing Arts Museum collection contains costumes and accessories, stage designs, props, photographs, posters, programmes and personal memorabilia relating to many of Australia's foremost companies and performers including Dame Nellie...
The Kyneton Museum collection is housed in a group of buildings, the most substantial of which was built in 1856 from local bluestone for the infant Bank of New South Wales. The branch was opened to service miners of the region's goldfields. Original outbuildings include kitchens, celler and stables, and these have been augmented by various outbuildings including an original settlers cottage which was relocated here in 1970. The outbuildings house the extensive agricultural display, whilst the kitchen and laundry show authentic household utensils. An original settler's cottage 'Theaden' is...
The Museum collection is housed in the old Esperance Railway Station building. It was officially opened in October 1976 and is staffed entirely by volunteers. Items from the wreckage of Skylab which crashed to earth near Esperance in 1979, a WAGR steam locomotive, exhibits from Sir Douglas Mawson's Antarctic expedition, a large agricultural machinery display, items from shipwrecks and items from early settlements make up a fascinating collection of exhibits. Restoration, accession, database, archival and display programmes are carried out.Estimated 4,000 items. Physical and documentary...
Displays of artefacts, buildings and machinery depicting the early history of Wagin from 1840. We have 25 original and replica buildings, artefacts plus an extensive machinery display. Winner of the Heartlands Tourism Award for 2003 and 2003 and finalist in Community of the Year 2003. Totally volunteer driven.The museum covers 2 acres and is a detailed picture of everyday life in the area around the time the early settlers first arrived circa 1840 until 1920. The collection consists of 5,000 items and 1,500 photographs.

The Village consists of the Original Bank, Schoolhouse, Quarantine...
Chiverton House is a community museum; its collection reflects changing lifestyles influenced by mining (1848-1950). The building, histories and collections relating to Capt Samuel Mitchell and his family provide a link to the convicts and Lynton Hiring Station (1853-56), the railway (1879-1957), pastoral and farming development (1850 onwards) and the local effects of events such as depressions and wars.4,000 objects include house (as operating home) objects, farm machinery (some restored) 1,000 photos include local families, identities, property homes and events.
Very early suburban development in Perth, Western Australia with interesting variety of architecture in the area, colourful history, strong local community awareness.
Building - 1923 heritage building, originally an electrical sub-station. Became the Subiaco Museum in 1975, with five gallery spaces.The scope is limited to the geographical area of the city of Subiaco, taking in the suburbs of Subiaco, Shenton Park, Jolimont and Daglish. However the scope is wide in terms of time and in its coverage of all aspects of local cultural history. Social change eg The "Gentrification" of former...
Onslow Museum is housed in The Old Goods Shed which was transported over by Camel Train from the Old Town of Onslow in 1925. As it is an Historical Building it has been classified by the National Trust. Many larger items, such as the train and carriage used in transport of goods from the jetty, are on The wool ramps adjacent to the building.Artifacts relating to the pioneering days of the Onslow and surrounding Ashburton/ Pilbara district, plus a collection of photographs.