Agriculture

The museum is housed in the upper level of Lismore Municipal Building, a heritage building. Its collection consists of artefacts, maps, photographs and archival material relating to the Richmond River District, and includes Aboriginal artefacts, coastal and river shipping material, local industries, and a unique display of local timber. The museum's meeting room is lined with local red cedar from former Kyogle station.
The Ungarie Museum contains items of historical interest, donated by residents over the years. These include old photographs, bottles, rocks, other small collectibles, farming implements, household equipment and books. Some machinery is displayed in the outside yard.Approximately 600 items listed in catalogue
Rouse Hill estate is one of Australia's most culturally important historic properties, not only for its artefacts, furnishings, buildings
and gardens, but also because it is the most complete document of continuous family occupancy of a country house in New South Wales. Rouse Hill House is set on a 16 hectare rural property with stables, barn, piggery, slaughterhouse, woolshed and other farm buildings. The main house was constructed from 1813-18 and contents from the original family's occupancy to the present day remain intact.Estimated 250,000 objects of domestic and rural life from...
The historical building (1862) which houses the folk museum was used as a gaol until the last few years of the last century. One of the cells has been left in its original state, and another room is furnished as a colonial kitchen. There are nine rooms of well displayed relics and other items of early Australia, including historically interesting documents and artefacts. Special displays cover photography, lamps and lighting, bottles and Aboriginal artefacts. Adjoining the building is a display of early farm machinery and vehicles.Local History, Historical items from local families,...
Built in 1851, Alne Bank is a late Georgian house of stuccoed rubble stone with cedar fittings and furniture. It has been the home of the Hindmarsh family for five generations, and it features a stone barn housing museum pieces, a family cemetery and a working dairy. One of its specialities is information on the history of cedar in the area.
This pioneer museum depicts the domestic and rural life of early Dubbo.Over 10,000 items
A former courthouse building (1869) is the site of a local history museum which focuses on Clarence Town as a terminal of navigation and river port. It's collection encompasses shipbuilding, exploration, maps, documents photographs, memorabilia, household items, timber-getting, agriculture and the history of the settlement of Williams River. In addition to the above, a native cottage garden is in the process of being established, together with a replica pioneer settlers cottage about to be constructed, materials on site, containing names, photographs (where available), and information on...
Mary Boulton's Pioneer Cottage is a replica of an early settlers home with furnishings appropriate to the era. An outside shed displays a buggy, ploughs and farming tools and implements.Approximately 1,000 items
The museum is housed in The Old Narrabri Gaol which is listed on the National Estate Register and classified by the National Trust. Exhibits are mounted in the cells, exercise yards and outbuildings. They consist mainly of historical items associated with life in the town of Narrabri and surrounding district.100,000+ file reference cards to local people, photographs, local newspapers from late 1800s and on microfilm, World War memorabilia, family history records, and burial records.
Sketchley Cottage is a furnished slab cottage which was owned by a convict. A separate museum on the site houses heritage items, machines and a blacksmith shop.500-1,000 items. Emphasis on agricultural items hand made tools, linen and farm machinery
The cells of the former gaol are set up as a folk museum. Exhibits include clothing, telecommunications equipment, kitchen items, hospital equipment, Aboriginal artefacts, bottles and jars, musical instruments, guns and pistols, general artefacts, tools and implements and larger items.Over 3000 items and 7000 photographs
The Wollondilly Heritage Centre is both a Social History Museum of Wollondilly Shire and Burragorang Valley, and Family History Research Centre operated by volunteers from the Oaks Historical Society. The one-acre site includes a furnished timber slab and iron cottage, Bush schoolroom and orcharding exhibit in addition to a diverse program of changing displays and museum shop, and is close to beautiful Burragorang Lookout and scenic drives. Wollondilly Heritage Centre is the winner of The Western Sydney 2003 Tourism Awards for Excellence and Innovation in Heritage and Cultural Tourism.11,800...
Experiment Farm Cottage stands on the Colony's first land grant, Governor Phillip's reward to convict farmer James Ruse in 1791 for his successful farming experiment on this site. Colonial Surgeon John Harris bought Ruse's land in 1793 and built the existing Cottage in 1834. It is furnished to reflect the times and taste of Dr Harris. The cellar houses a permanent exhibition on the life of James Ruse.Approx 500 items of furniture and artefacts
The nostalgia of railways comes alive at this hands on action museum, with over 7000 exhibits. Special features include mini train rides; and a working HO model train layout; a rural museum with working displays of vintage farm machinery, tractors and engines; and a war museum displaying historic militaria, combat vehicles, weapons, medals and working steam engines. The Museum also holds a large Cowra prisoner of war display.10,000 items
A large 24 room folk museum established in the old Glen Innes Hospital. Land of the Beardies houses a very wide and representative collection of objects, artefacts and documents dating back to early settlement in the 1840s. It also provides an outside machinery exhibit and an archive and research centre with over 200,000 references.Over 10,000 items
The collection of this folk museum is 95 percent local and visitors enjoy its hands on approach. Of special interest is a 110 year old church, the old boarding house, a converted movie prop and a range of working machines. Includes military museum, blacksmith shop, tack room, rock and mineral display room, large shed containing machinery and workshop, said by visitors to be one of the best and biggest of its type in the countryApproximately 20,000 items. Anything and everything related to history of Nambucca Valley. Includes the Nambucca District Combined Services Museum Inc. (military...
The Museum focuses on local history and the community culture of Shellharbour City. Collections include; Aboriginal culture, pioneering industries of dairy farming with ancillary industries of coal mining, tanneries and coach building. The centre point of the museum is a bronze bust of Caroline Chisholm, 'The Emigrants Friend', who settled some 23 families to Shellharbour in 1843.
The 2004 exhibition 'The Built Environment of Shellharbour City', will open 24th April, to coincide with The National Trust 'Heritage Festival'. This exhibition will encompass man made structures such as...
The museum's local history collection includes furniture, clothing, books, china, machinery and photos. These items are displayed in a bedroom, parlour and sewing room of a 1920s house and in an extension. Separate rooms have been devoted to materials from the Returned Service League and to the writer Miles Franklin. A large machinery shed holds agricultural equipment and large domestic machinery. School photos and memorabilia are also available.Collection covers items and information believed relevant to the history of Tumut and district. Textiles of the last century including articles worn...
Ned Kelly Post Office is the original telegraph office which Ned Kelly and his gang sabotaged in February 1879. The Willows houses local archives and items of farming and local historical significance.500 items
The Great Lakes Historical Museum has a fine display of historic buildings from the Great Lakes area including the original National Bank at Forster (a 1940's cottage); the Tuncurry Public school, built in 1886; the Cheers family cottage, built in the 1940s; and the original Tuncurry police station lock-up which was used from 1948-59. In the grounds of the museum there is a typical 1960's fishing boat, a working windmill which pumps water for our lawns and various artefacts relating to the local history. The buildings have all been fully refurbished and contain interesting displays. The...

Pages