Agriculture

Geralka is a modern broadacre farming property, producing wool and grain. The land was originally part of the old Bungaree run established in 1841. A section of the farm has been established to receive visitors. Guided tours show how a modern farm works. A major attraction has been established depicting the development of agriculture in South Australia with a collection of over 300 vintage implements and working Clydesdale horses. An underground copper mine complex depicts the copper history of SA. A brochure is available which provides fuller details.Over 300 farm implements and...
The museum is designed to reflect the industries and lifestyle of the district since settlement. The buildings, constructed to house machinery, were architecturally designed to resemble farm buildings and have all been built by voluntary labour from local community groups. The main shed displays pictures and machinery related to specific industries e.g. wool, dairy and mining. Aspects of lifestyle are captured in a two room cottage, nursery, and clothing display. A recent acquisition is a small 100 year old church moved to the grounds from its original site.Approximately 300 farm and...
The Museum is in the former Railway Station, built in 1885, and adjacent goods shed; it was opened in 1971 the centenary year of Jamestown and district. Items in the Museum Collection have been donated by the local people & they all recall a past way of life. The display highlights people and events unique to Jamestown local people expect the museum to be the custodians of archival items donated by them, so the collection has changed as we have noticed an increasing interest in local and family history.The Museum has a diverse collection of household items and other things connected to...
The Museum is housed in Clare's first public building (1851) for Police Barracks and Courthouse. Holds collections of clothing, artefacts, local early records and photographs (copies can be ordered), wagons and farm implements. Clare is one of Australia's important wine producing area with 38 wineries in the area, approx 136km from Adelaide by road.Approx. 2000 photographs pf pioneers - pioneer clothing and domestic farming artefacts.
The Streaky Bay Museum is housed in the old school. It includes the family history of the Campbell family (1864), the Kelsh family (1860) Kelsh pioneer pug and pine cottage, the Freeman family (1856) and Mudge family 1855, as well as machinery dating back to the 1880s.A large collection of great variey. Furniture, household items, farm machinery, historic buildings, horse drawn vehicles, vintage cars and medical artefacts and instruments.. The collection is a source of local history of people and their way of life through the years.
The Museum emphasises the influence of local manufacturers and Roseworthy Campus on the development of dry land farming techniques, but includes allied subjects such as dairying, shearing and blacksmithing. It also has working tractors, stationary engines and participatory displays.700 items
Built in 1863, from local limestone, this 36 stand woolshed has hand adzed, cathedral like blackwood beams and pit sawn supporting posts. Only blade shearing was used in this shed as it was never converted to mechanised shearing.
Our Museum covers an undercover area of 2,500 sq metres. It contains an extensive collection of tractors, stationary engines, steam engines plus collections of bottles, tractor seats, magnetos and other early farm memorabilia. Each year we hold a Rally on the last Sunday in March (or the first Sunday in April - to avoid the Easter weekend) when the machines are started and displayed outside.Our collection contains steam engines, vintage and veteran tractors, stationary engines and historic farming equipment.
Wheel righting, forge welding and blacksmithing were undertaken in this workshop by the Excell family. The workshop is complete in its original state from the 1905 and 1935 era. Objects in the workshop include an original D.C welder, forge, wheelwright section, upsetting machine, and the Brattenizing Plough, patented and built by Excell in Tumby Bay and widely used in South Australia.200 items
Situated in the picturesque Koppio Hills, the Museum consists of a fully restored blacksmith shop built in 1903, an historic cottage, also restored, and displays of farm machinery and other items of interest from around the turn of the century. There is also a district school building housing memorabilia and Aboriginal artefacts, and a restored pine log cottage, c1890, Glenleigh. Heritage Hall contains Jericho family treasures and the Bob Dobbins Barbed Wire collection.Approximately 10,000 items, plus photographs. The museum covers 1 hectare, with fourteen buildings - i.e.. Old homes, small...
This historical building holds a collection of local history items and memorabilia relating to whaling, fishing, agriculture and social history. A blacksmith shop is part of the complex, with the upstairs furnished in 1890s style.
Signal Point River Murray Interpretive Centre is housed in modern, purpose-built quarters in the river front historic precinct of Goolwa. The centre is built in the site of the original Murray Mouth Navigational signal Mast/Station. Displays at the centre celebrate the life and times of the "Murray River Trade", and draws attention to environmental and ecological challenges to the inland river system today.Static displays of local and Riverine History, paddle steamer models, inter-active displays of environmental problems, theatre, geomorphological displays on the origins of the...
The waterwheel, manufactured in Salisbury, was originally used on the Little Para River to pump water to irrigate a citrus orchard. It operated from 1911 to 1914, when it was abandoned. The Salisbury Rotary Club restored it and it is now housed in its own building. Associated with this is an historic display of the citrus industry which flourished in Salisbury from 1870 to 1950.
A magnificent Northern French Romanesque building. Built in 1866 as the Baptist Church with two floors. This is complimented by an extensive undercover display area for the agricultural, industrial and transport history of Kapunda. Bagot's Fortune is managed by the Kapunda Historical Society Inc. See separate Guide listing for their other venue, the Kapunda Museum.Extensive collection of the social, commercial, industrial and agricultural history of Kapunda.
Building former East Torrens Council Chambers built in 1902-3. Collection - artifacts relating to local fruit growing and market gardening industries and families. Occasional special displays are mounted.
The focal point is the original Chaffey homestead built in 1889, using a unique pine log method of construction. The house has been tastefully furnished and decorated with period artefacts. In addition the original fruit packing shed houses a great collection of old style tools and implements as used in the early days of what was the first irrigation settlement in Australia. A comprehensive museum of local memorabilia including aboriginal artefacts is also maintained.Inside the house, fruit packing shed and separate museum, is a large collection of local items with many photographs that give...
The Gumeracha and District History Centre is situated in the Library Complex, Albert Street Gumeracha. Comprising of the whole of the Torrens Valley Ward of the Adelaide Hills Council (formerly Gumeracha Council). Including the townships of Houghton, Inglewood, Hermitage, Cudlee Creek, Chain of Ponds, Millbrook, Kersbrook, Gumeracha, Kenton Valley, Forreston, Birdwood and Mt. Torrens.
Oldest 2 story commercial premises, Built 1875. Underground Bakehouse. Old grocery Shop, Victoriana displays, music room, kitchen, bedroom. Dressmaking establishment, photo gallery, laundry/bathroom. Ironmongery room. Currently establishing large display of items from horse drawn era, in custom built shed, everything is represented of local history, books, histories, photo's and artefacts, outside display of farming equipment, tractors, wagons ect.Local archives and photos, farming machinery from the past, furniture, china, glass, musical instruments, household items each area has a...
The library service seeks to provide a quality service which meets the community's current and ongoing information, education, recreation and cultural needs. The library service is a free community service which is jointly funded by the Clare and Gilbert Valleys Council and the State Government of South Australia.The collection includes approximately 18000 monographs, journals and audio/visual material. Collection strengths include Local History and Viticulture.
Highfield is historically significant for its association with the Van Diemen's Land Company, which was responsible for the settlement of Northwest Tasmania. Highfield was the original headquarters of the Company's operations. The buildings surviving there today were built between 1828 and the early 1840s. At present some of the buildings are being restored. The house is open for inspection and visitors can inspect the restoration works on site during daylight hours.

Pages