House Museum

The Blue Mountains Historical Society's premises are on the site of a 50 acre grant of land to John McLaughlin, a Sydney solicitor and member of the Legislative Council in 1879. This historic cottage, "Tarella", which was built by him in 1890, is the oldest cottage on the northern side of Wentworth Falls. The cottage rooms are set up in the period of the early 1900s with many items belonging to the McLaughlin family, who were the sole owners prior to the BMHS ownership in 1988.

The modern premises consist of the Research Centre, which holds over 10,000 local records of...
Pioneer Cottage is a house museum, built in c.1880 of local cedar and beech by the pioneer John Kerle Burnett. Structurally unaltered, the rooms and furnishings are arranged as used by the Burnetts. On display are many household items that were in everyday use. The Burnett family lived in the cottage for more than seventy years. The displays reflect their early lifestyle and the living alterations they made as times changed. The Sibyl Vise Museum Room provides visitors with the opportunity to browse through photographs and read about the history of Buderim. At the rear of the cottage a slab...
This is a rural museum which tries to preserve a way of life from early settlement. A collection of early farm machinery, tractors, wool presses, blacksmithing tools, picture show projectors and dairy equipment is on display. Corn threshing by machine and by hand is demonstrated on open day, as well as rope making and spinning.300 documents, 200 photographs, 100 farm machines, 20 Aboriginal artefacts
The museum is situated in ten hectares of parkland and houses a vast display of mining era memorabilia: housing, dairy display, mining equipment etc. It also features a railway museum and a light horse museum. The winding engine operates under steam a minimum of four times a year.Over 4,000 items
The building was built in 1888. The collection features old vintage vehicles, household furniture, tools and other domestic artefacts illustrating life in the Charleville district.Estimate 600 items
The Museum is a heritage style building with a large veranda, the building is situated within a lovely park setting. The Museum presents a comprehensive series of displays, including an Aboriginal interpretive display, early pioneers and settlers hut, and a valuable collection of historical memorabilia. An early fire cart, a turn of the century telephone exchange and rail ambulance are but a few of the interesting exhibits on display. A new display on Mount Mulligan reflects the history on the 1921 mining disaster. Also a purpose built blacksmith shop at the rear of the Museum now shows cases...
The stone house was constructed in the 1880s. The Museum features local historical items of interest, including photographs, machinery, communications and cultural materials from the local area.The Stone House, The Fossil Museum, The Howard Cottage with photographs, medical and local items, rural items.
The village consists of over 60 buildings of Historical Significance to the Caboolture Shire and Environs. All the buildings are appropriately furnished or used for other useful and interesting purposes. The site also includes restored machinery and vehicles, some in good working condition.Approximately 14,000 items catalogued

1892 Country Post Office and Residence, furnished country Dance Hall, large lace collection, household requirements used from the turn of the 20th Century, early 1900 farm implements, Blacksmith shop and tools, cheese making equipment, World War 2 memorabilia, shepherds hut, country school building and much, much moreLarge lace collection, World War II Memorabilia, photographs, farm machinery, circa 1900 buildings, picnic area, BBQ, Cheese making equipment, Blacksmith shop and tools.

The Beaudesert Historical Society and Information Centre was founded on 11th April, 1961 and has had its headquarters in the Historical Complex situated in Brisbane St. Beaudesert. The building also houses the museum collection. The Pioneer Cottage, originally built in 1875 by a pioneer on his Kerry property, was given to the society by his grandchildren and rebuilt entirely of hand hewn timbers, slats and shingle roof and finished with a four-poster bed, large cedar side-board and numerous articles that portray the life of the early pioneers.

The new museum houses a comprehensive...
The Raspberry Creek Homestead was moved to Byfield from the Shoalwater Bay Military area in 1987. Its buildings and items are appropriate to a remote cattle property pre 1950. The site includes a library, and museum artefacts will be on display for special occasions.
This heritage-listed woolscour, that once operated by steam, has been left intact as a living document. It is this last one of this type in Australia. There is a 20 stand shearing shed attached to the wool washing complex and an open flowing bore nearby. Outbuildings include a cookhouse, shearers quarters and managers residence. It has been left mainly intact and conservation work completed in 2002 reintroduced steam to the site.The collection consists mainly of historic machinery and buildings, large boilers, steam engines, wool wash troughs, large steam driven dryers, historic wool presses...
The museum is in a fully furnished (c 1900) house and preserves a record of the history of the district through the home and furnishings, some farm machinery, sheds, tools, a slab shed and harness. The dairy industry and butter factory artefacts are featured. The museum also includes an extensive collection of photographs and a growing collection of the histories of people in the town and district.890 articles plus 820 photographs

The building is the only one in town crafted from locally made 1860s brick with a timber floor and slat under corrugated iron roof. It is furnished with old hospital equipment similar to that originally used. This includes beds, many pieces of medical equipment and linen, nursery and operating equipment.

This historic building (built in 1890) was the home of Henry Plantagenet and Katherine Rose Somerset. Henry was a member of Parliament from 1904-1920. Caboonbah is now the headquarters of the Brisbane Valley Historical Society Inc, and the complex consists of seven buildings: Caboonbah Homestead, Cement Building, Caretakers Cottage (private), the original Worker's Cottage, McGrath Cottage, Police Station and Cell Block. A telemetric service was provided from Caboonbah after the 1893 floods and is still on site and in use.600 collections
Greycliffe is a wooden slab-construction 6-room homestead, originally constructed in the 1870s. This building is the main focus of the historical society's activities, as it houses a collection of furniture, utensils, photographs, documents and machinery that pertain to the history of the Callide Valley. Tours of Greycliffe are available by appointment. As well as the homestead, there is a blacksmith shop, and a shed housing the bullock dray, tip dray etc.Approximately 150-200 items (including photographs)
Situated on the site of the original camping ground of the teamsters on the old Drayton/Toowoomba Road is the Laidley Pioneer Village. It was the first Village Complex in Queensland and for the last 25 years has entertained thousands of visitors and instructed thousands of school children in the ways of our early pioneers. The result of hard work by the Laidley District Historical Society (Inc) it now proudly boasts an authentic pioneer slab cottage; 100 year old school (complete with all requisites); blacksmith's shop; dairy; country store and post office; police cells; the original Shire...
Texas has a population of some 900 and has all necessities for shopping, health and sport. "Whyalla" feedlot, the largest in the southern hemisphere, is chief employer. Glenlyon and Coolmunda Dam and Dumaresq river provide fishing and boating venues. Numerous native birds for bird watching.All photos in albums cover early Texas, mining village, tobacco industry, social and sporting life of the area.
'Miegunyah' (1886) is a colonial home built when the local tradition was at its most ornate and opulent. It functions as a House Museum and headquarters of the Queensland Women's Historical Association. It is set in a tranquil leafy garden in historic Bowen Hills. The Association's comprehensive collection of personal and household items not only interprets this lifestyle but also enables regular changing exhibitions on wide ranging subjects. The building itself encapsules the late 19th century middle class Brisbane lifestyle. Within its collection it holds major items of memorabilia from Sir...
This original and well preserved jail house echoes with history and gives an indication of the stark harsh reality of gaol life. The building is unfurnished and never closes.

Pages