House Museum

Rouse Hill estate is one of Australia's most culturally important historic properties, not only for its artefacts, furnishings, buildings
and gardens, but also because it is the most complete document of continuous family occupancy of a country house in New South Wales. Rouse Hill House is set on a 16 hectare rural property with stables, barn, piggery, slaughterhouse, woolshed and other farm buildings. The main house was constructed from 1813-18 and contents from the original family's occupancy to the present day remain intact.Estimated 250,000 objects of domestic and rural life from...
Built in 1851, Alne Bank is a late Georgian house of stuccoed rubble stone with cedar fittings and furniture. It has been the home of the Hindmarsh family for five generations, and it features a stone barn housing museum pieces, a family cemetery and a working dairy. One of its specialities is information on the history of cedar in the area.
Don Bank is an early 19th century cottage and a surviving example of a timber slab house construction. The house was one of the first built on the Wollstonecraft land grant and has connections to the Berry and Wollstonecraft families. Don Bank's static displays feature the house itself, its changing styles and fabrics as well as the social history of the area. A highlight of Don Bank's collection is its kitchen objects and extensive costume and textile collection.500 clothing and textiles items; 300 household items
The building that houses our collection is over 100 years old and is the oldest building in the main street. It is heritage listed with the national trust and is owned by the Manilla shire council. For many a year a baker's shop, Royce Cottage was originally built for Mr G.H. Royce, who arrived in Manilla in 1884. The restored building now houses a museum, with many rooms furnished as they would have been in the past. Other rooms feature historical artefacts, pictures of pioneers, local history information, radios and gramophones, vintage washing and sewing machines, the sporting...
The European settlement of Norfolk Island was founded in 1788 and the history of the island's European development has strong links to the Colonial development of NSW and Van Dieman's Land. Norfolk Island served as a convict settlement from 1788-1814 and again from 1825-1855 and was noted as a place of extreme punishment. In 1856, after the close of the second penal settlement, Norfolk Island became the home of 194 settlers from Pitcairn Island. These people were the direct descendants of the Bounty mutineers and they brought with them traditions, customs and language derived from their...
Cooma Cottage was the home of Australias first native born explorer Hamilton Hume. Architecturally the house is a fine example of several forms of early colonial building.10 pieces of original Hume furniture in the 160yr old restored home of Hamilton Hume.
Mary Boulton's Pioneer Cottage is a replica of an early settlers home with furnishings appropriate to the era. An outside shed displays a buggy, ploughs and farming tools and implements.Approximately 1,000 items
The museum is housed in The Old Narrabri Gaol which is listed on the National Estate Register and classified by the National Trust. Exhibits are mounted in the cells, exercise yards and outbuildings. They consist mainly of historical items associated with life in the town of Narrabri and surrounding district.100,000+ file reference cards to local people, photographs, local newspapers from late 1800s and on microfilm, World War memorabilia, family history records, and burial records.
Sketchley Cottage is a furnished slab cottage which was owned by a convict. A separate museum on the site houses heritage items, machines and a blacksmith shop.500-1,000 items. Emphasis on agricultural items hand made tools, linen and farm machinery
Experiment Farm Cottage stands on the Colony's first land grant, Governor Phillip's reward to convict farmer James Ruse in 1791 for his successful farming experiment on this site. Colonial Surgeon John Harris bought Ruse's land in 1793 and built the existing Cottage in 1834. It is furnished to reflect the times and taste of Dr Harris. The cellar houses a permanent exhibition on the life of James Ruse.Approx 500 items of furniture and artefacts
Neotsfield was established from a land grant to Henry Dangar in 1825. The main house and stables were constructed from sun dried bricks made on site by convict labour. The eastern and western wings were added a little later to provide a U shaped courtyard. The property, buildings and outbuildings are of significant historic and architectural importance. The admission fee includes a guided tour of the house, outbuildings, formal garden and exhibitions.
Built in 1895, this two-storey former hotel opened as a museum in 1971. There are 22 rooms housing turn of the century fashions, furnishing and artefacts. Features include a kitchen; laundry; slab school house and historic machinery displayed in the grounds.600 varied items; 1 ha. machinery items
The Museum is housed in the restored station masters former residence circa 1883. It is furnished in period furniture from the 1880-1890s. The Museum is pursuing railway heritage items as one of it's collection strengths.200 items
House containing personal items belonging to former Prime Minister of Australia Ben Chifley.
Housed in a 1900s weatherboard school house, the Museum numbers over 4,000 items, representing the rural and coal fields heritage of the region. Its two classrooms still contain original fittings, such as desks and forms, blackboards, and wall maps to retain the character and function of the building. Items displayed range from buttons to pianos and organs. Rare and old books dating from the 1830s are a feature. The collection is typical of any country town, depicting the typical lifestyle of the region from the 1920s.4,000 items, 400 photographs, 100 postcards, 400 books
This heritage sandstone building has held a continuous license to operate as a pub since 1845. It's original cellar kitchen has artefacts on display.
This Georgian building was designed by the convict architect Francis Greenway as sleeping quarters of 600 male convicts (1819-1848). Subsequently it housed immigrant girls and asylum women (1848-1886) and legal offices and courts eventually occupied the entire site (1887-1979). It has been refurbished as a museum about itself, and its displays include relics, pictures, plans and models exploring the sites past and present. A special feature is reconstructed convict dormitories, which are periodically available to sleep in overnight, with a convict breakfast served at dawn. The building...
Originally an Inn (1857-1868), then a private school (1868-1886), Garroorigang has been the private home of the Hume family for over a century. Mr Hume was Goulburn's well known historian, and a collateral descendant of explorer Hamilton Hume. The house features an exquisite Victorian drawing room, a collection of Victorian kitchenware, relics of the convict and bushranging eras and Australiana.Original antique furniture of original 1868 owners of the home. Many items of Victorian Australia and relics of bush ranging and convict days plus the Hume family.
Tocal Homestead is a collection of buildings dating from the 1820s including Webber's Cottage (1822), Blacksmith shop (1820s), Stone Barn (1830), Tocal Homestead (1841), Brick Stables (1860s) and Blacket Barn (1868). The Homestead itself, as with the out buildings, has remained virtually unchanged since its construction. The site also has evidence of Aboriginal inhabitants. The property Tocal originally operated as a sheep and horticultural enterprise, later becoming famous for its stud cattle and thoroughbred race horses Other features of the site include a bottle collection, graves,...
Carss Cottage was built in the 1860s by William Carss, a Scottish emigrant and cabinet maker who came to Australia in 1831, brought here by the Reverend John Dunmore Lang. The Museum promotes Australian history, particularly that of the Kogarah municipality. Its displays are continually changing, highlighting local and national events. The collection includes a great variety of photographs, needlework, furniture etc.Approximately 2,000 items; 2,000 photographs

Pages