House Museum

This small historic house was the home of the Cuttle family, founders of Robinvale. Memorabilia of the Cuttle family, especially Robin Cuttle for whom the town is named are displayed, together with some documents and photographs of the town twinning with Villers-Bretonneux.50 items
The Homestead has been carefully restored and furnished in keeping with the period 1844-1851. It particularly reflects the enterprise and resourcefulness of Georgiana McCrae, diarist, artist, and musician, who raised eight children in the adverse conditions of pioneering life. A modern museum houses a collection of water colours and oil paintings by Georgiana McCrae and other family members.700 objects
Situated in the Botanical Gardens, this two storey bluestone cottage was the home of the Portland Botanical Gardens' curator. It features a bedroom, nursery, kitchen, parlour and annexe. Furnished as a late nineteenth century workman's cottage, it contains historical and domestic items relating to the Portland area, including early household implements, christening gowns and early clothing. Local history books and postcards are also available.Approximately 1500 items
The complex consists of a Victorian hand built stone cottage (by Arthur Worsley), furnished in the period and complemented by display areas depicting Maryborough's history from 1854 as well as Alfred and George Joyce's squatters' slab hut, now on the Register of the National Estate, and believed to be the oldest building in the district (circa 1844). The complex also has a new resource centre with family and district history records available for research.Approximately 1200 photographs and 1000 items. Items relating to the social history of the Maryborough District including Vic/Edwardian...
Heritage Hill is a unique historic precinct located in the heart of Dandenong featuring three century old buildings and 2 acres of beautifully landscaped gardens. St James Anglican Church (1864); Laurel Lodge (1869); and Benga Oral History Centre and Garden (1936). survive as fine examples of 19th and 20th century architecture and represent the social, cultural and natural history of Dandenong. Through exhibitions and period rooms, visitors can gain an insight into Dandenong's transformation from a rural market town into a bustling, multicultural metropolis.Laurel Lodge and Benga House a...
This shingle and slab hut, situated on thirty-three acres, was occupied by the Sage family from 1853 to 1962. The farm is a working illustration of pastoral life. The cottage is used as a restaurant. It is furnished in keeping with the period and has some items of interest from the Sage family.
Steiglitz Court House is partially restored with internal furnishings. It features displays on the early gold mining history and pastoral history of the region, including interpretive and historic photos. Information is also provided on Steiglitz Historic Park and the Brisbane Ranges National Park.Approximately 100 items
Mulberry Hill was the home of the late Sir Daryl Lindsay, artist and art administrator, and his wife Joan Lindsay, author. The serenity once enjoyed by the original residents is still evident today in the ambience of the home, which features the work of more than a dozen well known Australian artists.3000 items. Significant collection of paintings, drawings and prints by 20th century Australian artisits including Arthur Boyd, John Perceval, George Bell, The Lindsay family, Rick Amor and others. Geogian furniture and decorative arts.
Early Stawell newspapers, photographs and records make up this collection which is available for research. (Appointments are advised). Court House Built 1860 (Pheasant Greek Court House).Cemetery Records: Ashens, Burrum Burrum (Banyena), Concongella, Crowlands, Deep Lead, Glenorchy, Gray's Bridge, (Marnoo) Great Western, Navarre, Rupanyup, Stawell (Pleasant Creek). Stawell (One Tree Hill). Church Records: Church of England, St Patrick's Catholic Church, Methodist Church, St Mathew's Presbyterian Church, Stawell Hospital Records, School Records, Stawell & District School Records, Stawell...

Built in 1889, this 3 storey mansion was the home of William Benjamin Chaffey, who was instrumental in the introduction of irrigation in Australia. Many of the original furnishings remain intact. Displays feature Chaffey family memorabilia and other historical artefacts. Rio Vista is part of the Mildura Arts Centre, as is the Mildura Regional Gallery.1000 items of the period 1890s

Two historical buildings - a former Bank of Victoria and Manager's Residence - in the historic gold town of Yackandandah. The buildings are furnished as they were originally. There is also a collection of objects, local buildings, businesses, families and information in photographs.The collection contains local community records, minutes, school records, maps, photographs, family histories and objects from white settlement in the 1840's.
The Briars Park is one of the Mornington Peninsula's oldest properties. The park, a wonderful example of cultural landscape, contains an 1840's Homestead which houses a Napoleonic Collection and various out buildings that were required in early pioneer times. A 96 hectare wildlife reserve allows visitors to experience native flora and fauna via a series of walking tracks and boardwalks and an excellent Visitor Centre display and audio visual is an ideal introduction to the Park's facilities.The Napoleonic Collection - 500 pieces approx. Farm Machinery Collection - 50 pieces approx. Norma Dodd...
Maintenance of complex: Buildings to house furniture/Artefacts in the style of the turn of the century. Cottage is pre-gold rush sandstone and weatherboard. Brick "Forge" Shop & Weatherboard wheelwright and paint shed, also earth closet and pavilion.Inside furnished as a lived in home - (cottage style) domestic items and technology, social history and local history (cards and photos) Outside shows horse-transport, tools, metalwork, trades and cultural heritage.
To preserve in our Museum memorabilia of Pentridge and Coburg. To encourage in our local schools an interest in Coburg History.2000 items, 3 000 photographs. his bluestone building (on the register of Victorian Historic Buildings) houses a range of local history material, including extensive records of early land transactions in Coburg and Pentridge, photographs of the district and of Pentridge Prison. Artefacts relating to early Coburg are displayed and include two sets of Coburg Mayoral Robes and Town Clerk's Robes. Front room dedicated to "Australia Remembers" displays of both...
High on a hill, with the mountain ranges as a backdrop, this 1882 pioneer home sits lovingly restored and furnished by the Wandin Community. The house built of hand made bricks produced on the site, was finished in 1862. It was built by Henry Sebire, a stonemason, who originally came from Guernsey, in the Channel Islands. Journey back to pioneer life in the 1800's as your guide escorts you through the Homestead, St Mary's Chapel, the historic garden and other interesting buildings, or view the Wandin collection of artefacts in our Museum. You may simply want to visit Martha's tearoom and...
This pre-fabricated timber mansion was imported from Germany and erected in 1855 for Charles Ibbotson, a partner of Frederick Dalgety. While the interior of the house was re-furbished by its owners in the 1930s, the grounds and gardens remain much as they were in the nineteenth century, complete with stone water tower, stables and dovecote. A decorative arts collection is displayed within the mansion. A small collection of fine Georgian furniture is also on display, collected by the last owners, Marnie and Louis Whyte - Charles Ibbotson's grandson.2000 objects
Built around 1855, the Victorian style double-storey building farmhouse is set in a spacious garden setting. It is furnished as a farmhouse of the 1875-1880 period, and is fully restored after an arson attack in 1994. Within the grounds are farm machinery, a smithy and buggy display, a Museum housing displays of artefacts, gowns and photographs and a Resource Centre.Approximately 500 items including archives and machinery
Rippon Lea is the last of Australia's great privately owned 19th century suburban estates to survive largely intact. Commissioned by Frederick Sargood in 1868, the house, designed by Joseph Reed is in the Lombardic Romanesque style. The extensive garden retains 14 of the original 45 acres, and features a lake, grotto, gardens, buildings and a magnificent fernery. The garden was preserved by the last owners Ben Nathan and his daughter Louisa Jones. Mrs Jones modified the interior of the house in the 1930s, adding a glamorous Hollywood-style swimming pool. Mrs Jones gave Rippon Lea to the...
Built in 1858 of local honey coloured granite, the Beechworth Courthouse was converted to a museum in 1991. The original furniture and fittings are complemented by information on the history of the courthouse and displays on the police, judiciary and bushrangers.Approximately 200 items
John Alexander, stonemason of Montrose Scotland, arrived in Ballarat, 1853, to build real history just 900 metres from the site of the 1854 Eureka Stockade, where the miners stood their ground against the harsh gold tax imposed by the government. In its middle class simple living style, Montrose captures our Celtic inheritance. Faithfully restored, Montrose is beautifully authentic, presenting an excellent portrayal of the personal trials and tribulations of our forebears. It now remains as possibly the finest restoration example of an authentic goldfields building, extant in Victoria. Today...

Pages