House Museum

This historical building holds a collection of local history items and memorabilia relating to whaling, fishing, agriculture and social history. A blacksmith shop is part of the complex, with the upstairs furnished in 1890s style.
The enginehouse has been fully restored (1986), apart from the original engine. A scale model (1:16) is fully operational and explained by guides. Videos (x3) provide further relevant information as do information boards on all three floors. Walks outside include; via a restored adit into the retimbered shaft, access to Morphett's Windinghouse, pool, mine offices and cottages, Grave's enginehouse and view of open-cut mine.Model and information boards mentioned above. Scale model of jinker. Mining artefacts, including cabinets inside of more sensitive material (e.g. 1820's pocket bible)....
The focal point is the original Chaffey homestead built in 1889, using a unique pine log method of construction. The house has been tastefully furnished and decorated with period artefacts. In addition the original fruit packing shed houses a great collection of old style tools and implements as used in the early days of what was the first irrigation settlement in Australia. A comprehensive museum of local memorabilia including aboriginal artefacts is also maintained.Inside the house, fruit packing shed and separate museum, is a large collection of local items with many photographs that give...
The museum is a National Trust property. It is located on the remains of the Bon Accord Mine site and incorporates the original mine office and workshop (c1859) The Bon Accord Mine commenced operations in 1846 and ceased in 1863. There were many years of inactivity during this period as no payable copper deposits were found. The display in the mine office includes boards with comprehensive information, photographs, mining relics, ore samples and the office pay table from the Monster (Burra Burra) Mine. There are two models featured in the museum - one of a Horsewhim, the other of "...

Built by Thomas White in 1841, White House displays a fine collection of 17th and 18th century oak furniture, china, icons, paintings, prints, pewter and copper. The outbuildings house early bicycles, horse drawn vehicles, vintage cars and a special display of toys and miniature furnishings. Refreshments are available from a restored bakery with a wood fired oven.Approximately 250 items in the house, plus 20 vehicles, 15 bicycles and a large toy collection in outbuildings. The variety of collections on display at White House provide something of interest to most people including children....

Located in the town of Franklin Village, the original house museum was opened by the National Trust in 1961. Built in 1838, Franklin House is a charming Georgian residence and a good example of the period, with authentic furnishings and pictures. It includes a schoolroom which functioned from 1842 to the 1880s. An outstanding feature of the interior is the NSW cedar hardwood. It is now the State Headquarters of the National Trust in Tasmania.
The Grove is a privately owned house museum. It is a Georgian stone residence, set up as a working home with tearooms and reception. It is George Town's most imposing early building which is believed to have been built circa 1830. It contains an interesting collection of furniture and antiques.300 major items plus many minor items
A photographic museum commemorating the life and work of prominent Hobart photographer John Watt Beattie. It contains black and white photographs of Tasmania between 1890 and 1930.3,000 photographs and corresponding negatives
Runnymede an 1840's sandstone Regency villa surrounded by elegant lawns and gardens, focuses on aspects of Southern Tasmania's history. Today, as a house museum, it makes a strong statement about domestic life in the colony in the 1860's. It depicts the home environment of successful business and professional people, rather than that of the very rich. Through the three families who lived there over 120 years, Runnymede has close links with widely separate aspects of the colony's history. First, Scottish-born lawyer Robert Pitcairn, who played a part in the demise of convict transportation,...
Woolmers is of outstanding cultural significance because it has continuous association with the one family (Thomas Archer and his descendants), providing and encapsulated record of six generations of the family and the changes to their lifestyle, from the time the land was first settled in the Longford area, to the death of the last heir in 1994. It is the longest association in Tasmania. Woolmers has small museum status.Apart from the original house (1819) and the new additions in 1840's. The Extant outbuildings, workshop, cottages plant and artefacts are a unique record of the scale of...
Chauncy Vale, which was gazetted as a Tasmanian wildlife sanctuary in 1946, is located 40 Km north of Hobart and 4 Km east of the town of Bagdad. It is recognised as a valuable heritage and natural environment site. The house of Chauncy Vale named "Day Dawn" was the home of the distinguished Tasmanian children's author, Nan Chauncy (1900-1970). It has been opened to the public as a small Museum to display all her published children's books and their translations and her memorabilia and the furnishings of her time.This bushland home of Tasmanian author Nan Chauncy has been opened as...
The Rosny Historic Centre, located in the heart of Rosny Park, comprises Rosny Barn, Rosny Cottage and Schoolhouse Gallery. The barn, one of the oldest in Australia, is an impressive example of early stone construction built around 1815. The display in the barn shows the history and development of Rosny Farm since white settlement. Rosny Cottage was built around 1850 and has been home to farmers, labourers and greenkeepers. The cottage is furnished to recreate the atmosphere of Tasmanian homes in the early part of the last century. The Schoolhouse Gallery is a contemporary replica of an...

The Warragul and District Historical Society collection is held at the Old Shire Hall in Warragul. It includes a large photograph collection, newspapers and artefacts associated with the district's history, particularly its timber and dairy industries.Estimated 2,000 items plus 1,000 photographs. Newspapers (hardcopy and on Microfilm), many indexes of Births, Marriages and Deaths from papers, Society Monthly Bulletin, Photographs, Memorabilia

Established as an artists' colony in the 1930s by Justus Jorgensen, Montsalvat is a cluster of medieval-styled buildings. The Great Hall contains paintings by Jorgensen and other members of the group.
Como is one of a few surviving large suburban estates, dating from 1847, just over 10 years after European settlement of the Port Phillip district. For 95 years it was owned by the Armytage family, prominent graziers and well known members of Melbourne Society. Much of their original furniture is in the house today. The house is surrounded by 6.5 acres of beautiful gardens.Approx. 1500 pieces of furniture and decorative art objects, mostly original to the Armytage family's period of ownership (1864-1959).

The Museum, consists of an historic post office (1890), a early and later period school buildings, pioneer's cottage and a bark hut. Lewis Lasseter (of fabled gold reef fame) - story of his activities in the district. His work boat is on display at the Museum. Displays deal with local history - from the discovery of gold, followed by timber getting, then dairying. As the area developed into a thriving community.Approximately 800 artefacts and 2000 photographs, and 100 documents

The Cottage is furnished in the early 1900s style and contains many maps and photographs. Farm machinery and fishing gear are housed in the implement shed that sits in the Cottage's yard.
The small, four room miner's cottage is a replica of one destroyed by fire in 1991. It contains basic furnishing from the era of the original cottage. The Research Group also maintains an archive collection relating to the development of Ringwood. Archivist at "archives" address on Mondays only, hours approximately: 9.30am-4.30pm.
The Hazelman family were early pioneers in the Kyabram district. Their four-roomed mud brick and slab timber cottage is situated within the Fauna Park and now contains an interesting collection of memorabilia, photographs and period furniture. Items in the cottage include children's toys, a sewing basket on legs, a very old wireless and a medicine chest. Other features include a blacksmith's shed and a machine shed containing buggies and various machines.600 items including 1927 Chevrolet Van which was used by Chinese markey gardener to sell vegtables from and a Scouts cart made by the...
This classified Station was jointly built by Victoria and South Australia from 1887-1889, on the Disputed Territory. The Station presents displays of local and railway memorabilia. Tours of its fourteen main rooms (including a dungeon) are available by arrangement.

Pages