House Museum

The original four roomed building, c.1888, from which the irrigation scheme for the Western Goulburn Valley was developed, was purchased and restored in 1988. This building now houses local history and information on the history of irrigation. Two brick extensions, totalling 200 sq. metres have since been added to house the Wartime Camps collection, included is a foyer, shop and lecture room come art gallery complete with video viewing facilities.Photographs, art and craft work, records, recollections and other archival material recovered from the former prisoners and internees from the seven...
Located in East Melbourne, The Johnston Collection is the legacy of the late W.R. Johnston, an antique dealer with an extraordinary eye for beauty. The collection is unfettered by ropes or barriers and is rich in the fine and decorative arts from the Georgian, Regency and Louis XV periods. Whilst a visit can be a moving aesthetic experience, the social, cultural and political context that surrounds the individual pieces is the basis for good storytelling. Different kinds of tours are available, offering passive enjoyment or active learning experiences.1200 pieces incorporating furniture,...
The three houses at Coventry Street are among the few 19th Century prefabricated iron buildings remaining in the world. Students of building, architecture, industrial archaeology as well as social history will find them of interest.
An audio visual tour provides a comrehensive account of these buildings in the history of white settlement in Australia and during the Gold Rush years in Victoria particularly.
One of the oldest buildings in Victoria, LaTrobe's Cottage was the home of Victoria's first Superintedent and Lt. Governor, Charles La Trobe. The pre-fabricated cottage was brought to Australia from England in 1839.The house contains some original furnishings and many interesting historic artefacts.
Completed in 1890, Labassa is a French Renaissance mansion significant for the relative completeness of its richly decorated and finely executed interiors.300 objects. Labassa features detailed stencilling, rich heavy wallpapers and a grand staircase with a magnificent stained-glass window and rare trompe l'oeil ceiling.
Barwon Grange is an elegant intact brick home dating from Geelong's earliest residential settlement. It was built in 1855 and reflects the asperations of middle class businessman Jonathan Porter O'Brien and his family who had emigrated from Liverpool, U.K. The architecture is picturesque Gothic style with steep gables, unusual decorative timber bargeboards and verandah parapet.The interior contains a fine collection of early Victorian furniture and fittings faithfully accumulated according to an inventory compiled when the house was auctioned in 1856. The garden that complements the house...
Built in 1869 for Thomas and Elizabeth Austin by the Geelong architects Davidson and Henderson, Barwon Park is a majestic 42-room bluestone mansion and stables at Winchelsea.The interiors of the house remain largely in original condition. The fine plaster decoration in the elegantly proportioned principal rooms is noteworthy. The grand staircase is also a striking feature which resonates with the glory of Victoria's pastoral heritage.
Como is one of few surviving large suburbab estates, dating from 1847, just over 10 years after European settlement of the Port Phillip district. For 95 years it was owned by the Armytage family, prominent graziers and well known members of Melbourne society. Much of their original furniture is in the house today. The house is surrounded by 6.5 acres of beautiful gardens.Approximtely 1500 pieces of furniture and decorative arts objects, mostly original to the Armytage family's period of ownership. (1864 - 1959)
Voluntary organisation - collects artefacts, documents, photographs of historical significance relating to Phillip Island and District to preserve our heritage. We maintain and staff a museum open to the public. The society meets on 1st Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm. We have a guest speaker at each meeting and visitors are welcome.The Society's collection consists of local community archival records, many historical photographs. Objects relating to the early settlers.
The Nillumbik Historical Society's aim is to collect and preserve historical documents, articles and historic sites. The society's headquarters is a stone farmers cottage erected in 1865, which it operates as a museum and storage centre. The Society's collection includes some 1800 historic photos, in most cases accompanied with a slide and a negative, biographies of 90 local families and institutions, and artefacts and memorabilia.
A tem of speakers visit schools and local interest groups. Displays of historic photographs are mounted as requested. Because Diamond Creek was a gold mining...
Several old buildings in main street (Allan Street). Kyabram Reform movement which swept the country 1901-1903 to lower the number of policies in parliament and wages. Plaques, schools, hall, hotels ect.Photographs, farming machinery, cottage of mud brick and timber slab. Children's clothing, linen, kitchenware, musical items, old tins, old irons, tools, egg scales, teacadie, local community records.
This is a privately owned 1913 home, clad in jarrah rusticated cladding, lined in jarrah and stamped metal, with surrounding bull nosed verandas, separate kitchen and maid's room and ablution building and workshop. All furnished at 1920 and lived in as in 1920. There is a one hectare cottage garden with 700 species or varieties, a croquet lawn and 24 traditional games. Old skills are used, including soap making, ironing, treadle lathe, rope making and all aspects of 1920 home living.The significance of the collection is that it attempts to equip an authentically restored 1913 home with all...
This eleven room wattle and daub cottage built circa 1832 consists of an entry, box room, parlour, nursery, bedroom, dining room, family room, sewing room, kitchen, laundry and side verandah. Appropriate artefacts covering several eras are in the various rooms, with display cases in every room. Set in a neat garden surroundsAccessioned photographs number 8,000. Accessioned artworks number 500. There are some 7,000 artifacts of all types.
Chiverton House is a community museum; its collection reflects changing lifestyles influenced by mining (1848-1950). The building, histories and collections relating to Capt Samuel Mitchell and his family provide a link to the convicts and Lynton Hiring Station (1853-56), the railway (1879-1957), pastoral and farming development (1850 onwards) and the local effects of events such as depressions and wars.4,000 objects include house (as operating home) objects, farm machinery (some restored) 1,000 photos include local families, identities, property homes and events.
Situated in the main street of Wyalkatchem, the main museum building is a 1936 Wheat Bin. Bulk handling of wheat originated in the Shire of Wyalkatchem and the wheat bin is the oldest in preservation and is a museum piece on its own. Most items have been restored and are still operational. Some interesting "as is" items are also on display. A second shed, partly built from materials recycled from a demolished Wheat bin holds a 40 restored tractor collection. The yard also has a variety of equipment. The domestic collection, "The School House Museum" is in the process of re...
1906 Road Board Building
1930 Road Board Building
Mining Industry of Collie
Russ Cottage is a typical Yeoman's residence built on the banks of the Irwin River by Titus Russ in 1868-70 from local limestone. The cottage consists of four rooms with verandahs all around, and is furnished in the style of the early farming families with gifts from local residents. The sitting room features a portable organ which arrived in the Swan Colony with the Dent family on the "Marquis of Anglesea" on the 23/8/1829, and an octagonal table once owned by the Russ family is the centrepiece. Framed photographs of pioneer family members adorn the walls.

The kitchen...
The Museum is housed in the Old Police Station, Prison and Courthouse complex. The building was erected in 1870, with extensions being completed in 1873. The original building comprised a court room, police station, cell block and living quarters, and was built from locally-quarried limestone; the walls are some 450mm thick, constructed in the coarse random rubble style. The roof, which was originally wooden shingle, has been replaced by corrugated iron. A sample of the original shingles is displayed in the exhibition.

The Irwin District Historical Society have another museum...
The museum is situated within Manning Park, a significant public garden area south of Perth. The homestead was built in 1905 and was the residence of Azelia Lay until her death in 1954. The museum represents the cultural and historical heritage of the City of Cockburn, comprising 76,000 residents and focuses on a family experience in conjunction with the open park area. A heritage trail leads from the museum to three lookout points commanding magnificent views of Cockburn and the Indian Ocean.The museum has a large photographic collection. The collection is specific to the City of Cockburn.
The first hospital in Alice Springs is now a museum housing memorabilia of Rev. John Flynn D.D. The building is over 70 years old and well preserved with a unique cooling system. The museum has a varied collection ranging from a set of Presbyterian Moderator General's Robes to the first pedal radio built by Alfred Traeger.

Pages