Railways or Tramways

Chiefly an audiovisual museum, The Story Of Nyngan is housed in the restored railway refreshment room. It includes some artefacts, and has a particular emphasis on the 1990 flood which inundated the town. Photograph records of white settlement, including local personalities, are held.
Richmond Vale Railway Museum was commenced in 1979 to rebuild the abandoned private railways of the J & A Brown coalmining family. The museum now operates steam engine - hauled passenger trains between former collieries of Richmond main and Pelaw main. The historic park occupies the site of what was once the largest shaft mine in the southern hemisphere. Many of the buildings have been restored.9 Steam locomotives used by local industries, 2 ex BHP steam cranes, which were used to build Newcastle steelworks. Four industrial diesel locomotives. 21 Passenger carriages, 62 ex government...
Visitors can explore all aspects of Cobar's unique industrial, pastoral, Aboriginal and social history during a visit to the centre. Displays are housed in the Great Cobar Copper Mine's magnificent administration building erected in 1910. Interpretive signs outside guide visitors through the grounds and an amazing collection of mining and transport artefacts, and on to the surrounding heritage areas.20,000 objects relating to the social, mining, pastoral and Aboriginal history of the Cobar district, ranging from large transport to fine instruments. Includes over 3,000 photographs and 50 art...
The museum is housed in a 100 year old weatherboard cottage with additional items held in a re-located cottage and sheds. There are also displays outside. The collection began as a Bicentenary celebration project and features displays depicting the history of Junee and district, and family histories.
The museum is devoted to the preservation of all manner of items from the railways of New South Wales, including the Dorrigo Branch line. There are currently 57 locomotives, 300 carriages and wagons and thousands of small exhibits. Work continues on preparing the site for the display of trains and carriages. While no date has been determined for the official opening there are plans to have open days when the public will have the opportunity to view the exhibits. Totally volunteer organisation with 700 members, membership details available on request.The largest preserved railway...
Visitors to this working museum can view a collection of light railway equipment in progressive stages of restoration, and on steaming days, ride in vintage carriages behind steam locomotives. The railway display includes steam locomotives, vintage carriages, early era miner's trams and mine cars. In addition, a selection of restored industrial steam machinery engines are demonstrated in motion.
The front building of the Museum was originally used as a house dating from 1842. It is the only remaining house building in the CBD area of Port Macquarie from that era.
All artefacts on display show development from convict beginnings to early settlement from the 1840s. Displays at the museum include; a 'street of shops' depicting life as it was in the 1800s and a prize-winning costume collection. The museum has been in operation for over 40 years and is the winner of awards for best museum.More than 20,000 items collected over a period of 40 years. Artefacts from all aspects of Port...
Artefacts and local history are our main theme. Our museum is a two story brick building situated in Murrumburrah, with exhibits on both floors. We cater for school groups.The collections focus is on local history; Bound copies of local newspapers, photographs, clothing display, chemist shop, blacksmith shop, railway exhibit, mining display, kitchen and household items, school, musical instruments. There is also a small library and a collection of maps.
The Sydney Tramway Museum is Australia's oldest tramway museum and the largest in the Southern Hemisphere and is located in the Southern Sydney suburb of Loftus. The Sydney tramway service was a world class undertaking operating 1535 tramcars at its peak. In 1944/45 it carried over 404.6 million passengers. An excellent video on the system, "Shooting Through", is Available from the museum. The Museum has an extensive range of Sydney Trams in its 60+ tram fleet. These include "C" cars 290 (Australia's oldest preserved electric car, built 1896) and 29, single truck saloon...
Local history of agricultural and mining machinery (mostly horse powered). 14 harvesters, 3 binders, 2 winnowers, 2 hay loaders, 2 hay presses, hay mowers-rakes, sweeps, chaffcutters, 4 wagons, sulkies, carts, 1926 I.H.C Truck, 1932 Bedford Truck, Tractors, ploughs, cultivators, seedsowers, wool presses, shearing plant.300 items
Historical Cottage built in 1887. Corrugated iron and log sheds (shearing Shed Style). Extensive collections maintained, restored, conserved by volunteers. Special exhibitions arranged in line with community events such as a wool display for prime stock day and a "1901" theme for the centenary of federation.Local rural community archival religions and phonographs. Historical cottage with turn of the century display. i.e. Kitchen with old fuel stove, meat safes, butter churning, china, lace, linen, silver teapots. Antique farming machinery, office equipment, sulkies harness etc.
The museum celebrates the history of one of NSW's most significant local mines. Its focus is on the Richmond Main Colliery, the Brown family and John Brown who established the mine, and the union/social history associated with the mine from its inception in the early 1900s to 1967 when it closed. The buildings on the site give the park a unique atmosphere and are in varying states of preservation. The Richmond Vale Railway Museum is also on site and offers regular steam train rides from Richmond Main to Pelaw MainThe museum is a display on the history of the Richmond Main Colliery....
An open air museum, consisiting of a former coal mine site and three kilometres of associated railway structure. An authentic coal mining site, interpreting coal mining histoy within a context of mining ans associated industries.Artefacts related to the industrial history of the NSW Western Coal fields, including coal mining, support industries, steel making and rail transport.
The preservation for future generations of the remaining relics of the former Longworth Tramway at Kendall, NSW, including the construction of public walking trails to sites and publication of historical literature. It will also become a lasting monument to the important part played by those hard working and enterprising pioneers who helped in the development of our national timber industry. Documentation and preservation of the history of Kendall and district.One hundred feet of reconstructed trainline made from local hardwood, laid over the original tramlines, still discernible beneath the...
Inverell Transport Museum was formed to display Veteran, Classic and Antique vehicles for the locals and visitor to our district. Inverell is classed a one of the go ahead antique car clubs of the state. A virtually new building of 3800suare metres of concrete construction was available from the Shire Council. Help was freely given by the local council, the Business Enterprise Centre, and local service clubs. An area of 3ha is available for our annual car show. Groups of car enthusiasts from Queensland, NSW and Victoria are making use of the museum for their tours with teas and meals...
The Powerhouse Museum Research Library collection, services and staff expertise provide a rich research resource for museum staff, library visitors and colleagues in the cultural sector. The Research Library collection dates from the establishment of the museum in 1880. The collection is diverse and reflects the changing research requirements from the past and anticipates future research needs. The library collects to support exhibition development, publication production, education programmes, museology and corporate information needs.The research Library collection reflects the interests...
Bundanoon History Group Inc has a collection relevant to Bundanoon dating from 1862. The display is constantly rotated between the stack and display room. The collection contains photos, newspaper articles, essays and letters - of particular interest are those of Jordan's Crossing.The collection is mainly paper records: both text and photographs. There are photographs of schools and school children, class rolls covering almost 150 years of a village where agriculture, timber and coal industries flourished. Contemporary information is also collected.
An early-this-century Central Queensland railway station containing railway station working equipment relevant to the steam train era and historic photos of local railway establishment around 1890-1900 era.Approximately 100-150 items and historic photographs
Pioneer Cottage is a house museum, built in c.1880 of local cedar and beech by the pioneer John Kerle Burnett. Structurally unaltered, the rooms and furnishings are arranged as used by the Burnetts. On display are many household items that were in everyday use. The Burnett family lived in the cottage for more than seventy years. The displays reflect their early lifestyle and the living alterations they made as times changed. The Sibyl Vise Museum Room provides visitors with the opportunity to browse through photographs and read about the history of Buderim. At the rear of the cottage a slab...
The museum is situated in ten hectares of parkland and houses a vast display of mining era memorabilia: housing, dairy display, mining equipment etc. It also features a railway museum and a light horse museum. The winding engine operates under steam a minimum of four times a year.Over 4,000 items

Pages