Railways or Tramways

In 1863 the first school between Perth and Freemantle was built on Freshwater Bay. This building now forms the core of the museum site, which opened in 1975. Exhibits are changed periodically and address issues related to the loacl history of Claremont. The museum collects and preserves material culture associated with the district of Claremont, including oral histories and photographs. The Public Access System (PAS) provides researchers with information on Claremont's history. Our education program for schools is designed to fit the curriculum.Local community. Artefacts, photographs, oral...
Very early suburban development in Perth, Western Australia with interesting variety of architecture in the area, colourful history, strong local community awareness.
Building - 1923 heritage building, originally an electrical sub-station. Became the Subiaco Museum in 1975, with five gallery spaces.The scope is limited to the geographical area of the city of Subiaco, taking in the suburbs of Subiaco, Shenton Park, Jolimont and Daglish. However the scope is wide in terms of time and in its coverage of all aspects of local cultural history. Social change eg The "Gentrification"...
Russ Cottage is a typical Yeoman's residence built on the banks of the Irwin River by Titus Russ in 1868-70 from local limestone. The cottage consists of four rooms with verandahs all around, and is furnished in the style of the early farming families with gifts from local residents. The sitting room features a portable organ which arrived in the Swan Colony with the Dent family on the "Marquis of Anglesea" on the 23/8/1829, and an octagonal table once owned by the Russ family is the centrepiece. Framed photographs of pioneer family members adorn the walls.

The kitchen...
Onslow Museum is housed in The Old Goods Shed which was transported over by Camel Train from the Old Town of Onslow in 1925. As it is an Historical Building it has been classified by the National Trust. Many larger items, such as the train and carriage used in transport of goods from the jetty, are on The wool ramps adjacent to the building.Artifacts relating to the pioneering days of the Onslow and surrounding Ashburton/ Pilbara district, plus a collection of photographs.
Whiteman Park is a large conservation and leisure reserve, and also the home of the Whiteman Collection. An exhibition "Before Whiteman was a Park" tells of the land which has become Whiteman Park, its natural and cultural values and one of the last private owners of the land, Lew Whitemand, whose love for the place has become his lasting legacy. Some of the largest waggons and agricultural machines are diplayed under open shelters.Over 4000 objects from the private collection of the late Lew Whiteman have been vestd in Whiteman Park. The collection contributes to the park's...
The museum displays a steam engine dating from 1950, carriages from 1899 and 1915, carts and other transport related objects in the town's original train station. The museum reflects the significant role the railway played in the development of the town and goldfields, connecting Coolgardie to Perth from 1986 until its closure in 1971. The station building was designed by George Temple Poole and constructed in local pink stone in the 1890s.A small collection relating to transport and communication, featuring a steam engine and carriages as well as horse drawn vehicles.
The J S Battye of West Australian History is part of the State Library of Western Australia. The Battye Library, as it is more commonly known, has prime responsibility for collecting and preserving published and original materials of relevance to Western Australia. It holds the most comprehensive collection of Western Australian documentary heritage materials in the world.The collections of the Battye Library include Private Archives which holds original papers documenting the concerns and activities of Western Australia's private sector; the Pictorial collection containing approximately...
The building is the first permanent Courthouse in the Eastern Goldfields. It is part of the block of government buildings which is comprised of the Courthouse, Mining Registrar Offices and residences, Post Office and Residences. Construction commenced in 1892. The foundations are of local stone cemented together with mud. The walls are of locally made mud bricks.
The primary purpose of the Brookton Old Police Station Museum is to provide a place to preserve and care for the District's history while enabling the local community and visitors to the district to learn of/from the past. The Brookton and District Historical Society manages the Museum and Archives.The collection focuses on items of local significance. There are approximately 1000 museum objects and up to 2000 archival records and photographs. The strength of the collection is the extensive local archival records of places, people and events, much of it supported by photographs. The...
Collection of old railway signs, books, photos, letters, maps100 items
Housed in a historic 110yr old building, this museum contains photographs of development in the Northern Territory, Chinese relics, minerals, war years, communications, mining and social history. The museum also holds the only photographic collection of the Pine Creek area.Items have been donated to the Pine Creek National Trust Museum by many people in the area. The museum displays many items relating to early settlement, an extensive bottle and mineral collection, war relics, Chinese household goods, photographs and text.
The museum is housed in the original terminal for the Department of Civil Aviation. It contains collections and artefacts, photographs and historical items relating to the Katherine region. The Clyde Fenton Hangar houses the Gypsy Moth aircraft and photographs and text pertaining to Dr Clyde Fenton. The Skillion Shed houses artefacts, photographs and text pertaining to the farming industry of the region.Approx. 1 500 items and 2 000 photographs.
The precinct is of great historical and architectural significance. Built in 1888/89 it was a temporary terminus to an incomplete Transcontinental Railway. It is of cultural significance as the social and economic focal point of the town of Pine Creek for over eighty years. The precinct includes a restored steam locomotive and rolling stock and is indicative of the design and technology of the 1880s.An area of historical and architectural significance which was the social and economic focal point of the town for over 80 years. Railway memorabilia inside the station is on loan from museums and...
The Adelaide River Railway Station, built in 1888, was the only station on the North Australia Line that provided a refreshment room for passengers. It is a classic example of railway architecture in isolated regions. This station had great strategic importance during World War II.

Pages