Railways or Tramways

The Puffing Billy Railway is assisted by the efforts of over 700 volunteers from the Puffing Billy Preservation Society. The Society has over 1,000 members and these people help in the daily running of our world famous railway.5 Operating 'NA' Class Locomotives, 1 Climax Locomotive, 1 Beckett Locomotive, 2 De Caulville Locomotives, 3 Diesels, 36 Carriages, 10 Fright Wagons.
The Italian Historical Society [I.H.S] was established in 1980 to collect, preserve, interpret and foster an understanding of the history and heritage of Italian immigration to Australia. It is the only historical society with this specialization in Australia. The main components of the HIS Collection are the library, the photographic collection, oral histories, letters, documents and official records. Within these collections are the other key sub-categories including diplomatic archives, internment records and newspaper cuttings. The HIS is located symbolically, in the heart of Italian...

The museum is accredited under the Victorian Museum Accreditation Program. It operates the original Ballarat Vintage Tramway system within the Botanical Gardens Reserve. Its aims are to conserve, display and maintain the various tramway artifacts in order to create a living reminder of Ballarat's past. The collection consists of 16 trams, some of which operate over 1.31km of track along Wendouree Parade. A display and sales area are located at the depot, which also houses the museum's archives and collection. Access to the collection can be arranged during opening hours. School charters...

This classified Station was jointly built by Victoria and South Australia from 1887-1889, on the Disputed Territory. The Station presents displays of local and railway memorabilia. Tours of its fourteen main rooms (including a dungeon) are available by arrangement.
Housed in the Mechanics' Institute building, Sorrento, a limestone building classified by the National Trust. The Museum contains artefacts, Aboriginal relics, photographs and documents, models, nineteenth century fashions and household equipment, examples of early technology, shipwreck relics and memorabilia from pioneering families and the great George Coppin. The museum has received accreditation from Museums Australia.Approximately 4000 items some 2000 of which are photographs. The collection covers the history of the Parish of Nepean, Shire of Mornington Peninsula, ie. Rye, Sorrento and...
The Local History Resource Centre was established in 1984 as part of the Victoria 150th Celebrations. The collection is housed in the former Ouyen Courthouse building which it shares with the Mallee Genealogical Society. The centre houses material collected from the southern part of the Rural City Council area. The photographic collection is a special feature, comprising approximately 2,500 black and white photographs. The aim of the centre is to make local history information accessible to everyone.Photographs, microfilm of the early Ouyen newspapers from 1911, including some early copies...
The Society's Museum is house in the former railway station which has been listed by Heritage Victoria. The Photographic and artefact collection related mainly to the state coal mine which operated from 1909 to 1968. Other displays relate to Wonthaggi and the various institutions which shared its history. EG co-operative store, Wonthaggi miners dispensary, union theatre, schools, sporting clubs, Wonthaggi and district hospital miners union and miners woman's auxiliary.1000 photo's (Wonthaggi and district 1909 to present), 3000 artefacts (mining tools, household artefacts, etc), 200 audio...
Our Museum consists of a house and various out buildings located on two town blocks in Port Welshpool. The collection is spread over the whole area. Our strong point is the early fishing industry in Corner Inlet, including a daily diary kept by the Smith family from 1887-1958. Housed in Welshpool's first residence (1881), the Museum contains a local history collection that includes natural history objects, fishing and maritime artefacts. Original display cases house a magnificent shell collection that dates from the 1800s.Our collection is the contents of the house which is now the museum,...
Housed in the former Moe Court House, this collection consists of items of local interest including books, papers and photographs concerning the history of Moe District. Extensive collections relating to gold mining, coal mining, electricity generation, agriculture and timber milling are held.Estimated 1200 photographs and 600 documents, plus 500 items and specimens
A comprehensive and fascinating collection of early photographs, maps, collectables, historic documents, (including Camperdown Chronicles), artefacts and memorabilia.
Built in 1905 as a general merchant's store and attached residence, the Museum now houses the L.L. Pitts photographs and items from local organisations, general interest and farming objects.. Unique photographs taken by Lilian Louisa Pitts between 1900 and 1928 record the lives and times of Merrigum. The house has each room displayed in setting for that room e.g. bedroom, kitchen. Each year in May, Heritage Day is held with many operating displays.Estimated 3000 items. The museum was built in 1905 as a general store and residence. The collection consists of local history artefacts, domestic...

The Museum's Aboriginal name translates as "home of yesterday". It is housed in a bluestone and brick building built in 1874. Displays, including many photographs, dressed models, clothing and farm machinery, reflect the gold mining rush of 1856. The Mooney and Charles Best collections of Aboriginal artefacts are also featured, the Mooney collection being on loan from the City of Ararat.Approximately 4000 items, plus 1000 photographs

Located in a restored funeral parlour, the collection includes over 2,000 photographs and local documents, bank deposits (1861-1890), newspapers and memorabilia. The collection also features records, including Linton cemetery records, Anglican Baptisms (1860-1990), Roman Catholic marriages (1893-1950), Presbyterian Church communion rolls (1880-1897). The Linton S.S. Register (1900-1937), and the Shire of Grenville Rate Book.
To preserve in our Museum memorabilia of Pentridge and Coburg. To encourage in our local schools an interest in Coburg History.2000 items, 3 000 photographs. his bluestone building (on the register of Victorian Historic Buildings) houses a range of local history material, including extensive records of early land transactions in Coburg and Pentridge, photographs of the district and of Pentridge Prison. Artefacts relating to early Coburg are displayed and include two sets of Coburg Mayoral Robes and Town Clerk's Robes. Front room dedicated to "Australia Remembers" displays of both...
The authentic site and buildings of this inland port which feature an historic red gum wharf. The collection includes a fleet of barges, original river paddle-steamers, railway carriages, locomotives and a selection of allied steam machinery. A museum shed houses a variety of maritime artefacts. Cruises are available on three working steamers.Approximately 3 working historic steamers plus a museum shed with artefacts
High on a hill, with the mountain ranges as a backdrop, this 1882 pioneer home sits lovingly restored and furnished by the Wandin Community. The house built of hand made bricks produced on the site, was finished in 1862. It was built by Henry Sebire, a stonemason, who originally came from Guernsey, in the Channel Islands. Journey back to pioneer life in the 1800's as your guide escorts you through the Homestead, St Mary's Chapel, the historic garden and other interesting buildings, or view the Wandin collection of artefacts in our Museum. You may simply want to visit Martha's tearoom and...
Scienceworks is a dynamic interactive science and technology museum combining the newly built Melbourne Planetarium. Scienceworks encourages visitors to 'Get A Grasp of Science and Technology' by creating a range of interactive experiences that are enjoyable and educational through its range of high quality programs, services and facilities offered. This venue also features Melbourne's magnificent nineteenth century sewage pumping station.50,000 objects plus 200,000 two-dimensional items
Housed in the old woodend Court House, the Resource Centre caters for local and family history inquiries. The collection is accessed by computers and a master file by over 100,000 cards. Microfilm, microfiche records, audio tapes and transcripts, school and cemetery records, photographs, rate books etc, make up the collectionEstimated 100,000 references and catalogued items
This historic hotel/boarding house (built 1876) houses a collection of furniture, crockery, glassware, gowns, and napery, library, war memoranda, saddlery, pictures, photographs, family histories, carriages, farm machinery, tools etc. The first National Bank built in nearby Longwood (1886) has been resited in the grounds of the museum.Approximately 14 rooms of exhibits, annexe, machinery shed and National Bank, Eliza Furlonge Cottage
The Society presents a collection which illustrates the development of the railed transport of Melbourne's streets from Melbourne's cable trams through to the latest "W" class trams. It is based at the old Bylands Station area, and features electric trams, horse and cable cars of many varieties, including Geelong and Ballarat trams. Rides are available on a 1 kilometre electric tramway.Approximately 40 tramcars on display, plus photo display available

Pages