Railways or Tramways

The main attractions of the Gisborne Steam Park are a working narrow gauge railway that will soon be used to take passengers on a loop of track; and working engines (including the Fowler Steam Road Roller and Ruston Hornsby Portable Steam Engine) that can be seen operating on regular running days. An engineering workshop museum exhibits the machinery, tools and equipment of a 1920s style farmer's engineering workshop.Estimated 100 items
The Museum contains displays of Corps and related military memorabilia, as well as an outdoor display of over forty restored vehicles. Many other vehicles of relevance to the RACT and its predecessor Corps are awaiting work which will restore them to their original condition.Estimated 54 restored vehicles and 11 awaiting restoration work
Motor Museum featuring vehicles, stationary engines, motorcycles, signs, models, trams, tractor, a fully set up workshop, photographic and general motoring memorabilia. Extensive range of veteran, vintage and classic cars and trucks. Working exhibit - showing the internal workings of an early model Holden 6 cylinder engineEstimated 30 plus vehicles and other items which exceed 600
The former bakery houses some of the original bakery fittings and a large historical collection which includes costumes, maps, postcards, photographs, relics of the local racing industry and reminders of the municipality's heyday as a holiday, picnic and bathing resort.Approximately 2000 objects, plus 1250 photographs
The museum was established over 30 years ago and is operated by the Australian Railway Historical Society (Victoria Division). The museum is a collection of Victorian railway locomotives; steam, diesel and electric - dating from 1879 up to the present day. Several carriages and collections of railways memorabilia are on display. The museum is housed in part of the old Newport Workshops where many of the locomotives were manufactured.The museum's exhibits reflect an era when rail was the major transport providor for passengers and freight around the state. The collection includes 25...
Ellis Cottage, erected 1865, is made of local uncut stone. The cottage is a typical farmers residence of the 1870's. The stone construction is unique in this district as most construction is weatherboard.2 000 Historic photographs, and artefacts.
This outdoor museum presents the technical, social, economic and ecological history of the timber industry in the Rubicon Forest from the period 1900-1950. This is done through a working Timber Tramway, a display of logging technology, models of sawmill and associated settlement buildings, photographic displays and a proposed working steam sawmill.Four display rooms, 5 hectare outdoor display. 7 locomotives, 1 steam traction engine, 2 portable steam engines, 1 vertical boiler and pumps, one kilometre 610mm rail track, plus numerous other working engines.
Australia's first outdoor museum, Pioneer Settlement Museum portrays life in the Murray-Mallee in the era 1830-1930, including pre-contact between aborigines and settlers. There is an excellent schools education program, riverboat cruises on the Murray River, Australia's first sound and light show, regular street theatre and staffed shops. The museum covers 7 acres, with areas showing town and rural life of the settlement period, and aboriginal display areas. Included in the entry price are rides in horsedrawn vehicles and vintage cars. A working blacksmith fashions artifacts, the printer...
The museum is operated by the Wangaratta Historical Society Inc. and is housed in the former Wangaratta Fire Station. The lower floor is divided into two display rooms and a research room, upstairs a storage area. Approximately 160 square metres of floor space. In addition there are a number of items on display in the cellar of the Vine Hotel at north Wangaratta.Smaller items of historical significance; household, commercial, industrial, agricultural military etc, from the Wangaratta District (we do not have space for large items such as farm vehicles). 10,000 photographs from the local area...
The building was originally built as a coach house/blacksmith shop, in 1880, from local field limestone. It served a variety of commercial purposes until its conversion to a museum in 1993. Its whitewashed interior and polished timber floors is a perfect setting to display historical items. Dartmoor has an interesting history, a meeting place in Koori times, a Fording place during European pastoral expansion and epicentre of the Radiata Pine industry from 1927. See the trials and triumphs of a rural community.District memorabilia; photographs, artefacts, ephemera, implements and historical...
The Nillumbik Historical Society's aim is to collect and preserve historical documents, articles and historic sites. The society's headquarters is a stone farmers cottage erected in 1865, which it operates as a museum and storage centre. The Society's collection includes some 1800 historic photos, in most cases accompanied with a slide and a negative, biographies of 90 local families and institutions, and artefacts and memorabilia.
A tem of speakers visit schools and local interest groups. Displays of historic photographs are mounted as requested. Because Diamond Creek was a gold mining...
Several old buildings in main street (Allan Street). Kyabram Reform movement which swept the country 1901-1903 to lower the number of policies in parliament and wages. Plaques, schools, hall, hotels ect.Photographs, farming machinery, cottage of mud brick and timber slab. Children's clothing, linen, kitchenware, musical items, old tins, old irons, tools, egg scales, teacadie, local community records.
The Museum collection is housed in the old Esperance Railway Station building. It was officially opened in October 1976 and is staffed entirely by volunteers. Items from the wreckage of Skylab which crashed to earth near Esperance in 1979, a WAGR steam locomotive, exhibits from Sir Douglas Mawson's Antarctic expedition, a large agricultural machinery display, items from shipwrecks and items from early settlements make up a fascinating collection of exhibits. Restoration, accession, database, archival and display programmes are carried out.Estimated 4,000 items. Physical and documentary...
This eleven room wattle and daub cottage built circa 1832 consists of an entry, box room, parlour, nursery, bedroom, dining room, family room, sewing room, kitchen, laundry and side verandah. Appropriate artefacts covering several eras are in the various rooms, with display cases in every room. Set in a neat garden surroundsAccessioned photographs number 8,000. Accessioned artworks number 500. There are some 7,000 artifacts of all types.
Two storey building of stone, constructed in 1870 by the Peninsular and Oriental Steamship Navigation Company as a Cooperative Society Store for their goods, employees and families. From circa 1885 the building had a variety of uses - as a printery, soft drink factory, lodging house, apartments, and railway employees barracks (1973-1991). Extra rooms and a verandah were added circa 1935. It is currently leased to Albany Historical Society and used as a storage museum for the artefacts, visual art and photography not on display. Accessioning, conservation of artefacts, administration and...
Whiteman Park is a large conservation and leisure reserve that also provides a home and operating contect for 5 independent community museum organisations: Motor Museum of WA; Tractor Museum of WA; Bus Preservation Society of WA; Perth Electric Tramway Society; and the WA Light Railway Preservation Association. Whiteman Park's own display includes horsedrawn wagons and equipment, a mining headframe and steam shovel, printing equipment and traditional railway buildings.
The Park is also the home of the Whiteman Collection (see Separate AMOL listing).Each museum manages its own...
Displays of artefacts, buildings and machinery depicting the early history of Wagin from 1840. We have 25 original and replica buildings, artefacts plus an extensive machinery display. Winner of the Heartlands Tourism Award for 2003 and 2003 and finalist in Community of the Year 2003. Totally volunteer driven.The museum covers 2 acres and is a detailed picture of everyday life in the area around the time the early settlers first arrived circa 1840 until 1920. The collection consists of 5,000 items and 1,500 photographs.

The Village consists of the Original Bank, Schoolhouse,...
Chiverton House is a community museum; its collection reflects changing lifestyles influenced by mining (1848-1950). The building, histories and collections relating to Capt Samuel Mitchell and his family provide a link to the convicts and Lynton Hiring Station (1853-56), the railway (1879-1957), pastoral and farming development (1850 onwards) and the local effects of events such as depressions and wars.4,000 objects include house (as operating home) objects, farm machinery (some restored) 1,000 photos include local families, identities, property homes and events.
The museum complex comprises four main buildings, an entrance and parcels office circa 1923; signal box with 95 levers circa 1913; ladies and men's waiting rooms circa 1917; and a refreshment room and bar circa 1923 with bar circa 1906. Main collection areas are the railway history of the Merredin area; Merredin's social, agricultural, mining and war (1939-45) history; and a large doll collection. Garden surrounds include a waterfall (the only one between Perth and Adelaide); fish ponds where children are encouraged to feed fish; and an overhead water tank from which steam engines were...
Situated in the main street of Wyalkatchem, the main museum building is a 1936 Wheat Bin. Bulk handling of wheat originated in the Shire of Wyalkatchem and the wheat bin is the oldest in preservation and is a museum piece on its own. Most items have been restored and are still operational. Some interesting "as is" items are also on display. A second shed, partly built from materials recycled from a demolished Wheat bin holds a 40 restored tractor collection. The yard also has a variety of equipment. The domestic collection, "The School House Museum" is in the process of re...

Pages