Strathalbyn National Trust Museum

Strathalbyn National Trust Museum

The Museum is housed in the old police station built 1858 and the court room built 1867, opened in 1974. Main display in the court room is of the settlement and growth of the town from 1840 to circa 1940. Remaining rooms which house historical displays are the sitting room, kitchen, bedroom, nursery, and laundry. Outside are the original cells, stables and static displays of old farm machinery, horse drawn vehicles and 1880s shearing plant.

Address: 
1 Rankine Street, Strathalbyn, SA
Tel: 
0885362478
Hours: 
Weekends, Public holidays and School holidays 2.00 - 5.00pm
Admission: 
Adults $3, Concession $1.50, Children and students 50c
Facilities: 
Guided group tours (by arrangement), toilets
Collection: 
Approximately 5,000 items, 2,000 photographs of local significance. Cottage crafts, craft, decorative arts, furniture, glass, paper, domestic items and technology, genealogy, historic people, local history, medals and badges, rural life, agriculture, clothing, fashion, costume, uniforms and accessories, photography, ephemera.
Share

Items

Weapon

Weapon, sword and scabbard

Creator:
Unknown
Description:
Curved steel blade etched with a flower and leaf design, leather handle grip.
Date:
1818
Item Id Number:
90/127

The sword with scabbard was presented to Col. James Dawson, pioneer and co-founder of the Strathalbyn, where he settled in 1840. It was during the time he was in the British army and was posted to Persia (Iran) that he was presented with the sword for saving the life of a priest donated by a grandson.

Painting

Lady Catherine Way (nee Gordon)

Creator:
Gordon Coutts - artist
Description:
A large framed portrait in oils
Date:
1903
Item Id Number:
96/125

Lady Way was an early pioneer of Strathalbyn. She married first Dr W.A.S. Blue. After his death she married in 1898 Samuel Way, Chief Justice. He was made a baronet and lieutenant Governor. The family gave the portrait to the Strathalbyn Library which in turn gave it to the museum.

Silver

Inkwells and stand

Creator:
Unknown
Description:
The stand consists of two glass inkwells on a raised oval base surrounded by a fox and a bird either side of a narrow jar backed with reeds.
Date:
Jan 31st, 1865
Item Id Number:
90/69

The inkwell was presented to Joseph Elliott from "Lodge W.A.D.D. as a token of their respect for his past service - E. Muecke Secty". J. Elliott came to live in Strathalbyn C1868 and became owner and publisher of the Southern Argus Newspaper (which is still being printed) donated by a grandson.

Collection of found objects

Grotto

Creator:
David Kennedy, pioneer of Strathalbyn
Description:
Timber cabinet on legs, glass fronted, filled with objects ie. shells, seaweed, dried lizards, birds eggs and nests and small china animals, dolls and cardboard cut outs..
Date:
C1860
Item Id Number:
92/2

David Kennedy's wife and five daughters were very artistic and it was the daughters who assembled the collection. Donated by Grand Daughter Christina Bennet

Farm implement

Grain Thrasher

Creator:
Unknown but made locally in the Strathalbyn district
Description:
Made from a red gum tree trunk, tapered at one end and grooved around the circumference

Donated to the museum by Sydney Weston owner of Sandergrove House and property until the 1990'. Originally owned by pioneer William Rogers who came to South Australia in 1839 and purchased this land South of Strathalbyn in 1857, where he farmed.