Archives

The Newcastle Region Maritime Museum is housed within the grounds of Fort Scratchley. Fine examples of small boats, model ships and maritime artefacts are on display together with exhibits relating to Newcastle's port development over the last two centuries. The Museum has an extensive collection of photographs and paintings. The Maritime Museum holds the annual Newcastle Maritime Festival held on the last weekend in January.30,000 shipping photographs, 5000 maritime artefacts and archival material, 2000 library items
Established in 1872, this is the oldest operating foundry in Australia. It is famous for its production of iron lace, ornamental and other castings. It also has an extensive collection of cedar patterns and early blacksmiths' and founders' tools. The entire foundry is in original working condition and is a fascinating industrial relic.Industrial Design, metalwork, woodwork, archaeology and antiquities, archives, cultural heritage, domestic items and technology, education and schools, images, local history, professions and trades, rural life, social history, engineering, horse-drawn...
The building which houses the Museum is heritage trust listed. It's collection is very basic at the moment.100 items
This local history museum is housed in a former School of Arts (1896) that has been rebuilt with the original facade intact. It includes displays on bushrangers who roamed the area (Ben Hall, Gardiner), famous locals such as Henry Lawson, Jan Lehane (tennis player) and Stan McCabe (Cricketer)Extensive local historical records, maps and photographs, extensive local family history records. Comprehensive displays of household items, musical items, sporting records, bushrangers, war records, local business memorabilia, local government records, local newspapers.
This local history collection covers Manly and Warringah, with an emphasis on Pittwater. It includes photographs, books, documents and newspaper cuttings. Displays are available for loan and can be specifically created to suit the user.3,000 photographs; 250 books; files & documents
The Museum is housed in the restored station masters former residence circa 1883. It is furnished in period furniture from the 1880-1890s. The Museum is pursuing railway heritage items as one of it's collection strengths.200 items
Volunteer organisation housed in historic bank building, locally heritage listed. The collection comprises items and memorabilia donated by the local community. All relate to the area's agricultural and dairying past and to Berry's origins as an estate town of Coolangatta Estate. There is a good collection of early twentieth century photographs (some original) taken locally; and records relating to local families are maintained. The building which houses the collection (rented from Council) is a former ESA bank building designed by nineteenth century architect William W Wardell. It...
The building was formerly the local tourist information centre. Steel frame with brick walls and asbestos sheeting roof. It is situated off the main street and on the bank of the Richmond River. The town library, swimming pool and new tourist facility are adjacent. Just under 18,000 visitors for 1998, mostly from outside the area.The La Balsas raft is the main feature. The collection includes models of naval ships, sailing vessels, merchant shipping and many associated photographs, paintings, uniforms and other militaria.
General local history of the Bathurst region is featured in this collection of the Historical Society. Archives and photographs are included.1360 collection items.
A Beau Geste-style fortress structure houses this social history museum. Its emphasis is on military history, with exhibits ranging from a Japanese tank to miniature soldiers. The Museum also features a historic comics section, stamps, hundreds of cameras, rare musical instruments and other items of general and Australian historical interest.
The Museum traces Westpac's history from its beginnings in 1817 as the Bank of NSW to the present age of plastic cards and electronic banking. It features dateline exhibits in chronological order; authentic room settings of early banks, a working branch of the 1890s and a programmed computer which answers commonly asked questions.The Westpac Museum presents: "Then and Now: A Journey from Melbourne in 1956 to Sydney 2000", comparing the technological, financial and social changes since the 1956 Melbourne games leading up to Sydney 2000 Olympics.
Housed in a historic weatherboard building which was formerly a Salvation Army Hall, the Henry Lawson Centre is a living memorial to the great Australian writer's life and times. It houses a fine collection of Lawsonia from all parts of Australia and is a repository for books, writings and memorabilia. Art representing Lawson's work is displayed in the building, which also functions as a study centre. The Henry Lawson Society holds an annual literary award progam which is incorporated into a Henry Lawson Festival in the June long weekend.Rated as possibly the best Henry Lawson collection in...
A small museum with a very comprehensive display of historical photos relevant to Yamba's history, some working models (eg. the lighthouse, the railway which was used to build Yamba's breakwater walls), some artefacts and a large quantity of reading material (newspaper cuttings, historical books etc).850 historical artefacts; 300 books; over 1,000 photographs, plus ten photograph albums and ten volumes of newspaper cuttings
The policy of the museum is to collect items relating to Paterson and the district - The collection is housed in the former Paterson Court House (1858-63) Fully restored externally and set in well maintained grounds. We extend country hospitality which complements the well accredited museum.The history of Paterson and District covering indigenous, white settlement, convict times to district development to present day in a relaxing well presented atmosphere.
A community based non-profit organisation dedicated to the preservation and operation of Australia's, and particularly Sydney's, maritime heritage. It is funded through donations, membership, charter charges and four art unions per year. The museums 1500 membership restore, operate and maintain the museums fleet of heritage vessels.40,000 items (including 75 heritage boats and ships and including 25,000 photographs) and maritime artefacts.
The main museum building was Mullumbimby's first post office, built in timber in 1907, which was relocated to its present site in 1984. Summers Park in which the museum buildings and external exhibits are located, has a replica slab cottage, a large collection of horse drawn farm implements, and equipment from the local railway, water supply facility and brick works. Mullumbimby is the service centre for the Brunswick Valley and lies in the heart of the Byron Shire. A monthly market is held in Summers Park on the third Saturday of each month.The Museum houses a general collection of local...
The Museum was formerly the Kandos Methodist Church, a unique building built to an American plan, brought to the town by the manager of NSW Cement, Lime and Coal Co. in 1915.

The Museum has a strong focus on the Cement industry based in this shire. It is possibly the only Museum in the state to collect, record and present the history and devlopment of the cement industry. There are also large collections relating to the domestic, agricultural, leisure, communications and transport history of the area. An extensive photograph collection together with written records relating to the...
Chiefly an audiovisual museum, The Story Of Nyngan is housed in the restored railway refreshment room. It includes some artefacts, and has a particular emphasis on the 1990 flood which inundated the town. Photograph records of white settlement, including local personalities, are held.
The museum contains artefacts, photographs and archival material relating to nurses and nursing at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney from 1882. The collection includes microfiche registers of all nurses at the hospital, autograph books and a letter by Florence Nightingale.1,500 items and archival material; 5,000 photographs
Elizabeth Bay House was constructed from 1835-1839, under the supervision of N.S.W based architects John Verge and John Bibb, from plans obtained from an unidentified English source for Alexander Macleay, Colonial Secretary of N.S.W 1826-1837 and his wife, Eliza. The house was intended to be the finest house in the colony. It was built within a celebrated landscape garden which was developed from 1826 onwards. Today the interiors of Elizabeth Bay house have been carefully reconstructed to the 1839-1845 period. Appropriate furniture, wallpaper, carpets, soft furnishings and fittings...

Pages