Quilt No.351GPM - Griffith Pioneer Park Museum
1370 x 1170mm
Made in 1886 at Middleton Stoney, Oxfordshire, England, by Mrs Fanny Matilda Elliott (born East, 1860-1934). Previously owned by Fanny's daughter, Olive Avenell Scott (born Elliott, 1899-1991). Donated to the Griffith Pioneer Park Museum, Griffith NSW.
Fanny Elliott's husband was a tailor, and the quilt was made from scraps from the Tailor's shop.
In 1923 Fanny's daughter Olive came to Australia and brought the quilt with her. She had met Mr Doug Scott in England during the war years (1916-1918) and they had struck up a relationship, so Olive came out to marry him.
Doug and Olive lived out on the farm at Lake Wyangan, which they had bought in the 1920s. The farm is run by their son Frank, who remembers the quilt being used on beds when he was growing up.


Related Quilts:
The patchwork layers are joined at the edges with machine stitching. The patchwork layers and padding are machine quilted on the front down 2 vertical lines following joins in the patchwork; therefore not being totally straight. The lines are more noticeable on the reverse as the 2 sides do not match. The front face is displayed at the NGA.
Between the patchwork layers is a striped cotton blanket in black, sky blue, white and cream." [NGA]
2082 x 1386mm
2439 x 1981mm
1600 x 1220mm
940 x 915mm
2150 x 1770mm
