Quilt No.83BB - Gilgandra Uniting Church

Owner: 
Gilgandra Uniting Church
Location: 
NSW Central West
Maker
Maker: 
Members of Methodist Church
Made in
AUSTRALIA NSW
Date: 
1921 - 1940
Description: 
This quilt is made up of 25 squares, each 10 x 10 inches of pure white linen. Each squre has been hemstitched around and very neatly sewn together. The centre square is embroidered 'Gilgandra Methodist Church Renovations completed 1st October 1926. J.W.Hynes, President of Conference'. All other squares have names or initials beautifully embroidered in white. There are 238 signatures, 60 initials plus centre square.
1271 x 1271 mm
History: 

Embroidered by members of the Methodist Church Gilgandra in 1926. Owned by the Gilgandra Methodist church. Some time later used as an altar cloth until a new one was made in 1982. Now owned by the Gilgandra Uniting Church and stored in a home in Gilgandra.

Story: 

In the 1920's and 1930's it became fashionable in Gilgandra to raise money for worthy causes, by paying sixpence or one shilling to have one's name embroidered on a quilt.
There are two such quilts in Gilgandra, one made by Mrs. Clara Ward commenced in 1937, raising money towards the building of a new hospital.
The second quilt was embroidered by various members of the Methodist church in 1926, to raise funds for Methodist church renovations."
There are 238 signatures, 60 initials and the centre square.

Share

Related Quilts:

Yvonne Hamdorf
Wholecloth pram quilt with a top of pink cotton sateen, and the reverse is a more finely woven, ivory, fabric. All over quilting design as main feature, with stylised hearts, leaves and cross hatching. The padding is cotton batting. 870 x 660 mm.
John Tomkin
Hand stitched, cotton, appliquéd, quilt in a flower pattern on a plain background. Colours are shades of green, apricot and browns. This quilt was known as a 'Bride's Quilt'. Padding is thought to be layers of white fabric raised almost like a wadding. The backing is cotton material. 2470 x 2020 mm.
Dorothy Stevens
Utilitarian quilt. Padding consists of recycled hand knitted jumper pieces (mainly 3 ply crepe and 8 ply) tacked to a layer of cotton material with strong buttonhole twist thread. The top is a piece of cotton fabric. Machine quilted in rows approximately 70mm apart.
1827 x 1423mm
Efthimia Toubakaris
Wholecloth quilt of golden brown cotton satin, the reverse side of pink cotton satin. Central quilting pattern of interlaced curves, within 3 rows of parallel stitching, then a border pattern of an interlaced knot design, the edge finished with 2 rows of parallel quilting. Filling of cotton. 2010 x 1920 mm.
2010 x 1920mm
The Embroiderers' Guild of S.A.Inc Museum
4 Pieces of a patchwork quilt which was formerly a whole quilt. It is pieced in cottons in blues reds and browns in many prints. There are whole circles and pieced circles against a plain cream calico background. It is wool lined and is quilted. There are the initials 'A.B.' and '1828' on a central piece. The 4 pieces are various sizes.
West Tamar Historical Committee
Wholecloth quilt with both sides of floral cotton. The padding is thought to be hessian bags.
2060 x 1300mm