Clothing, Fashion, Costume

Two historical buildings - a former Bank of Victoria and Manager's Residence - in the historic gold town of Yackandandah. The buildings are furnished as they were originally. There is also a collection of objects, local buildings, businesses, families and information in photographs.The collection contains local community records, minutes, school records, maps, photographs, family histories and objects from white settlement in the 1840's.
Housed in an old ANA lodge the collection has proved useful to those studying local and family histories. A feature of the Centre are displays depicting the histories of the granite quarries and apple orchards of the area. Books on the local history are available for purchase.
This former Courthouse built in 1914 holds a collection of small domestic and agricultural artefacts on display and features a War Memorial Room. Documents include family, school, church, district, shire, sports and railway histories as well as ndividual files. Family research for inquiries is undertaken, using local resources and index of papers. Minute books of local organisations are stored safely. The museum also holds a collection of local historical objects.1300 photos and 500 artefacts and paper items all catalogued. Local community archival records in storage boxes; school registers...
This museum exhibits civil and military aircraft with an emphasis on Australian design and/or manufacture. Exhibitions display photographs and artefacts.Estimate 40 aircraft total collection including 21 aircraft on public display, plus 7 buildings with 4 open to the public
High on a hill, with the mountain ranges as a backdrop, this 1882 pioneer home sits lovingly restored and furnished by the Wandin Community. The house built of hand made bricks produced on the site, was finished in 1862. It was built by Henry Sebire, a stonemason, who originally came from Guernsey, in the Channel Islands. Journey back to pioneer life in the 1800's as your guide escorts you through the Homestead, St Mary's Chapel, the historic garden and other interesting buildings, or view the Wandin collection of artefacts in our Museum. You may simply want to visit Martha's tearoom and...
This pre-fabricated timber mansion was imported from Germany and erected in 1855 for Charles Ibbotson, a partner of Frederick Dalgety. While the interior of the house was re-furbished by its owners in the 1930s, the grounds and gardens remain much as they were in the nineteenth century, complete with stone water tower, stables and dovecote. A decorative arts collection is displayed within the mansion. A small collection of fine Georgian furniture is also on display, collected by the last owners, Marnie and Louis Whyte - Charles Ibbotson's grandson.2000 objects
Built around 1855, the Victorian style double-storey building farmhouse is set in a spacious garden setting. It is furnished as a farmhouse of the 1875-1880 period, and is fully restored after an arson attack in 1994. Within the grounds are farm machinery, a smithy and buggy display, a Museum housing displays of artefacts, gowns and photographs and a Resource Centre.Approximately 500 items including archives and machinery

This museum was founded in 1967 by the Benalla and District Historical Society and is now an Accredited Museum under the Museum Accreditation Program. It began in the former Mechanics Institute (1869) which, since 1988, has been extended a number of times.Approximately 2500 items. The museum specialises in costume which is displayed in three large galleries as well as smaller rooms. The collection dates from 1770 to the present and is shown in regular changing exhibitions of dressed models, with appropriate accessories and decor to suit the theme of the exhibition. A permanent display of "The...

Ararat Gallery houses a permanent collection of contemporary textiles and fibre art. The gallery also maintains two sub-collections - The Art of the Japanese Package and the Lady Barbara Grimwade Costume Collection. The gallery operates an active temporary exhibitions program.Approximately 300 items, plus 550 items of costumes and 192 items of Japanese packaging
Housed in the old woodend Court House, the Resource Centre caters for local and family history inquiries. The collection is accessed by computers and a master file by over 100,000 cards. Microfilm, microfiche records, audio tapes and transcripts, school and cemetery records, photographs, rate books etc, make up the collectionEstimated 100,000 references and catalogued items
This historic hotel/boarding house (built 1876) houses a collection of furniture, crockery, glassware, gowns, and napery, library, war memoranda, saddlery, pictures, photographs, family histories, carriages, farm machinery, tools etc. The first National Bank built in nearby Longwood (1886) has been resited in the grounds of the museum.Approximately 14 rooms of exhibits, annexe, machinery shed and National Bank, Eliza Furlonge Cottage
Housed in the Old School Building (c1870), the El Dorado Museum includes a collection of domestic items, mining relics, memorabilia, farming machinery and tools of trade. Photographs show the development of mining in the area. Members of the Trust are available to meet and provide information to tour buses and school groups at the Gold Dredge.Estimate 3 school rooms and several thousand items, plus large shed of carriages and farming machinery, including a blacksmith shop
Occupying a spectacular position overlooking Port Phillip Bay, the Fort was one of Victoria's first colonial defence initiatives. Features include its fortified walls and tower, gun emplacements, powder magazines and uniforms, weapons and illustrative material on the history of Victoria's coastal defence.
The Museum is housed in a Trust National Building, which is currently undergoing restoration. There are many maritime objects, including models of ships and a scale model of "Gerberus". We also have early clothing, domestic articles, an historic signature quilt from World War I, which has been to Sydney on loan. We also have a sound effects machine, thousands of photographs, silverware, WWI memorabilia, family research and a bi-monthly newsletter.World War I memorabilia including a signature quilt made by the women of Williamstown including Jacka's signature. We have archival records,...
John Alexander, stonemason of Montrose Scotland, arrived in Ballarat, 1853, to build real history just 900 metres from the site of the 1854 Eureka Stockade, where the miners stood their ground against the harsh gold tax imposed by the government. In its middle class simple living style, Montrose captures our Celtic inheritance. Faithfully restored, Montrose is beautifully authentic, presenting an excellent portrayal of the personal trials and tribulations of our forebears. It now remains as possibly the finest restoration example of an authentic goldfields building, extant in Victoria. Today...
The collection includes local photographs and mining equipment, firearms, gold nugget replicas and genealogical recordsEstimated 70 firearms and 20 gold nugget replicas amongst a total of 10,000 items
The Museum contains displays of Corps and related military memorabilia, as well as an outdoor display of over forty restored vehicles. Many other vehicles of relevance to the RACT and its predecessor Corps are awaiting work which will restore them to their original condition.Estimated 54 restored vehicles and 11 awaiting restoration work
The former bakery houses some of the original bakery fittings and a large historical collection which includes costumes, maps, postcards, photographs, relics of the local racing industry and reminders of the municipality's heyday as a holiday, picnic and bathing resort.Approximately 2000 objects, plus 1250 photographs
This collection focuses on the history of Kew. Changing displays feature, artefacts, early scenes of Kew, (including tapestries and photographs), costumes (women's and children's) and an important collection of mayoral portraits. One of the tapestries illustrating the history of Kew, is on permanent display in the Library.Approximately 300 items
The Museum houses a complete nineteenth century Savory & Moore Pharmacy from London, and a collection of apothecary bottles and decorative drug jars. Three ornate display cases (c1880), which were used in the 1881 Melbourne Exhibition, house microscopes, microtomes and surgical instruments from the nineteenth century. The Museum also holds an extensive collection of medical instruments dating back to the 1700s as well as a large photographic and archival collection relating to past graduates, prominent medicos and medical treatments etc over the last two hundred years.Estimated 4157...