Social History Museum

The museum has been developed solely by volunteers and is wholly independent in that it does not solicit private or government funding. The site is situated very near to the first British settlement of Tasmania at Disdon Cove (1803). The immediate environment is the oldest settled area in Tasmania.The collection consists of documents and pictorial displays. The information has been mounted against a native fauna and flora painted background indicative of the type found in the area in 1803.

The Gold Museum performs a dual role as the home of the celebrated Simon collection of gold nuggets and coins, and as the Regional Museum for Ballarat. Permanent and temporary exhibitions exploring the history of the district are presented, encompassing both Ballarat social history and Koori cultural heritage.The Simon Gold Pavilion tells the story of gold throughout the ages, while the recently opened 'Ballarat: Inspired by Gold' exhibition traces the evolution of a grand Victorian city. The multi-media 'Land of the Watha Wurrung' delivers a dramatic interpretation of the region’s Koori past...

The Golden Dragon Museum is the first museum in Victoria to become accredited through the museum accreditation program in 1997. The Golden Dragon Museum provides a living history of The Chinese people of Bendigo from the goldrush of the 1850's to the present day. Central to the permanent display is Sun Loong, the longest imperial dragon in the world. The Museum also features one of the finest collections of Chinese processional regalia in the world, and several hundred Chinese coins, some dating back to 221 BC.Approximately 2000 photographs, including objects, embroidery and costumes. A...
A visit to the state mine in Wonthaggi is a journey back to the difficult working conditions of the mining days past. Preserved and managed by Parks Victoria for future generations, this original mine gives visitors opportunity to venture underground and gain an understanding of the life of a miner seventy years ago.

Access to the mine today is via a gently sloping inclined tunnel. On most occasions visitors walk into the mine, while those experiencing walking difficulties can ride underground on skips (carts). All groups return to the surface on the skips to save an walk uphill!

The mine...

Authentic buildings including a school, church, homesteads, public halls and shops now house a collection of domestic items and agricultural equipment. Nestled on the lower reaches of the Wimmera River, the Wimmera Mallee Pioneer Museum covers 4.5 Hectares and houses an extensive collection of farm machinery and a window into the lifestyles of the European Settlers from the mid 1800's to the mid 1900's.

The Corps of Commissionaires facilitates the transfer of capability from the uniformed services to other work situations. The Corps Memorial Gallery contains a variety of military memorabilia (excluding firearms) associated with the major conflicts in which members of the corps have served.Primarily photographs and pictures. Some medals and other pieces of equipment.
The Historical Society of Mooroopna is situated in the historic Mooroopna Manor, which was previously the Mooroopna Hosipital. The Museum is located on the 1st floor of the manor, in the former hospital operating suite. Displays explore aspects of local history and medical history.Approximately 3,000 items including photographs, certificates, maps, documents, newspapers, instruments, tools, paintings and a library.
This local history collection includes a growing photographic collection of local World War I and World War II veterans. A shed added in 1995 houses farming machinery and tools of local interest.600 items plus photographs. Artifacts used by locals - trinkets, glassware, clothing, lamps, school work etc. Machinery shed with agricultural implements used in the "horse and buggy" days e.g. a furphy header, reaper and binder, wagon, separator, spring cart, single farrow plough etc.
The former Bairnsdale College (1891) contains a display on farming machinery, a bark roof log cabin, a country community hall/school and historic domestic items. Photographic and archival material relating to the history of East Gippsland is stored at the Resource Centre. Heritage garden surrounds the building.Approximately 20,000 items including machinery; 20,000 photographs, documents, maps, etc microfilm of East Gippsland newspapers.
The Emerald Museum is a local history museum and archives which houses and selectively displays approximately 1600 photographs, 600 memorabilia, documentary records (including contemporary records) and family histories relevant to the economic, social and environmental history of Emerald and district (within postcode 3782). A collection of original ledgers, stock books and catalogues of the renowned Nobelius Nursery provides a link with the heritage park in which the museum is situated. The Museum also houses the Writers of the Dandernogs exhibit, which commemorated well-known Australian...
The Museum holds the most recognised snow-ski collection in Australia. Local artefacts include costumes, a carriage shed, a slab pioneer cottage, a dairy and the Old Corryong Gaol, Police station and restored School and Bank, Blacksmiths.
Housed in the old Rushworth Mechanic's Institute, the Museum offers a glimpse of the ordinary lifestyle of the 1853 gold rush days up until more modern times. A gold cradle, early farm implements and exhibits on rural life are among the many interesting everyday items on display.
Newspapers, files on local organisations (eg churches, schools), photographs, local cemetery records, obituaries and some local family histories are included in this collection. The Society organises displays for special organisations and its local history artefacts are a useful resource for school groups.
Brambuk Aboriginal Cultural Centre is a unique and award winning design based on the open wings of the white Cockatoo - totem of the Grampians/Gariwerd region. Brambuk is committed to education, training and employment of Indigenous people and the preservation and promotion of culture. It is 100% owned and operated by Aboriginal People.Aboriginal artefacts ranging in age from today to 40,000 years ago. Contemporary and traditional arts and craft, contemporary and traditional dance and stories.
The Learmonth Old Shire Hall houses a local history collection of photographs, maps and newspapers pertaining to the former shire of Ballarat. Of particular interest is the photographic collection depicting early Councillors.Approximately 500 photographs
The Centre is housed in the historic Port Fairy Court House, formerly the district's Supreme court. The main courtroom is intact and includes the original furniture. Four other rooms feature displays on shipping and seafarers of the area, local properties and the origins of Port Fairy, one of Victoria's oldest settlements. Temporary exhibitions relating to the history of the area are also provided.

The Golden City Paddle Steamer is the only remaining paddle steamer of 15 which used to operate on Ballarat's Lake Wendouree. The Golden City now operates on a regular basis during summer or can be hired by groups on request. The vessel is moored at Gill's Boatshed. The boatshed has been developed to house a 100 seat restaurant and the Lake Wendouree Museum. the Museum fitout is proceeding and is expected to be completed by 26th April 1998. The Museum will interpret the natural environment of the lake, as well as the family, sporting and recreational aspects of its history. Plans are being...

The Cohuna & District Historical Society Inc was established in 1970 and meetings were held in the old library at the Memorial Hall until 1984. The Museum, which received accreditation from Museums Australia in May 2001, is now housed in the former Presbyterian Church (built 1922). A Co-operative was formed to purchase the Scots Church Hall to house and display the growing collection of artefacts, photos and records. Our main fundraising activity is conducted in the old Sunday School Hall where we have Quarterly Trash & Treasure sales. The Archive & Photographic Collections are housed in the...
The Museum collection includes early photographs of the town, displays of the local history of some early buildings, farm accessories, and other items used mainly in the early days.Approximately 750 items
The Society is based in a room within the classified former Mechanics Institute and its holdings include local records. Three books on the history of Oakleigh are available for purchase - Candlelight on Broadway, Oakleigh's Golden Days (illustration only) and One Hundred Good Years (the story of Oakleigh Council).Papers, Rate Books, 1000 Photographs