Social History Museum

The Museum is housed in Clare's first public building (1851) for Police Barracks and Courthouse. Holds collections of clothing, artefacts, local early records and photographs (copies can be ordered), wagons and farm implements. Clare is one of Australia's important wine producing area with 38 wineries in the area, approx 136km from Adelaide by road.Approx. 2000 photographs pf pioneers - pioneer clothing and domestic farming artefacts.
The Museum emphasises the influence of local manufacturers and Roseworthy Campus on the development of dry land farming techniques, but includes allied subjects such as dairying, shearing and blacksmithing. It also has working tractors, stationary engines and participatory displays.700 items
Our Museum covers an undercover area of 2,500 sq metres. It contains an extensive collection of tractors, stationary engines, steam engines plus collections of bottles, tractor seats, magnetos and other early farm memorabilia. Each year we hold a Rally on the last Sunday in March (or the first Sunday in April - to avoid the Easter weekend) when the machines are started and displayed outside.Our collection contains steam engines, vintage and veteran tractors, stationary engines and historic farming equipment.
The Museum holds a collection of Aboriginal artefacts and objects pertaining to European settlement of the Flinders Ranges.
Situated in the picturesque Koppio Hills, the Museum consists of a fully restored blacksmith shop built in 1903, an historic cottage, also restored, and displays of farm machinery and other items of interest from around the turn of the century. There is also a district school building housing memorabilia and Aboriginal artefacts, and a restored pine log cottage, c1890, Glenleigh. Heritage Hall contains Jericho family treasures and the Bob Dobbins Barbed Wire collection.Approximately 10,000 items, plus photographs. The museum covers 1 hectare, with fourteen buildings - i.e.. Old homes, small...
The Museum interprets the story of Goolwa, Currency Creek and Hindmarsh Island from Aboriginal times through European settlement to the present day. The museum contains a large collection of objects relating to the settlement of the Goolwa district from 1840 and includes Aboriginal artefacts, shipping artefacts relating to the Murray-Darling river system and its ocean outlets, and objects illustrating pioneering agricultural and village life from 1840 to the present.Objects related to shipbuilding and community life. Community archival records and shipping records are a major part of the...
Signal Point River Murray Interpretive Centre is housed in modern, purpose-built quarters in the river front historic precinct of Goolwa. The centre is built in the site of the original Murray Mouth Navigational signal Mast/Station. Displays at the centre celebrate the life and times of the "Murray River Trade", and draws attention to environmental and ecological challenges to the inland river system today.Static displays of local and Riverine History, paddle steamer models, inter-active displays of environmental problems, theatre, geomorphological displays on the origins of the river system...
The Museum occupies three rooms which were originally the residential part of the Old Police Station. It contains a comprehensive collection of general artefacts and personal items, many of which came from the family of John Harvey who founded Salisbury in 1848. Because Salisbury was originally a farming community there are many farming relics; a complete blacksmith's shop, a display on the town's flour mill, and numerous household items. There is also an extensive photograph library.400 items; 500 photographs
The Museum houses items of farming, local industries and items of household use for the last 100 years. A large collection of bulldog tractors and other large farm implements can be viewed, while household items and photographs are held in the Old Council Chambers.600-1,000 items
The contents of the Museum reflect the life of Kapunda through home, work, sport and farming. The Museum covers some 11,000 square feet depicting all aspects of lifestyles and working life in Kapunda. There are important collections relating to copper mining, manufacture of farm implements, the Hawke Foundry and social life. The Kapunda Museum is managed by the Kapunda Historical Society Inc. See separate Guide listing for their other venue, Bagot's Fortune.20,000 items
The Museum has a pictorial display depicting the history of Aboriginal and European settlement of Coober Pedy, as well as all facets of old and new ways of opal mining. The interpretative centre amplifies Aboriginal Dreamtime and European influences. The theatrette communicates an audio visual account of the opal story. Admission includes a tour of an underground house and an original opal mine.
The Museum has been developed in the old One Tree Hill School building, c1854 (previously Uleybury School) as a classroom containing educational furniture and material through the years. There is also a craft shed with displays of children's art/craft. The Museum can be used by schools to show children what schools and teaching were like in the past.photographs and educational specimens
Cottage was built in 1862 from solid limestone blocks. All window frames, door frames and skirting board are still original - the only original floor remains in the bedroom (baltic pine). All other floors are replaced.n/a
The museum's collection reflects the heritage of the post WW2 immigrants who brought their culture and art to Australia from Latvia. There are various art forms on display including Latvian national costumes with elaborate patterns that once expressed religious and mystical ideas. The collection comprises of textiles; historical artefacts; present day examples of traditional folk art; jewellery; ceramics; wood carvings; documents; books; coins; paintings; photographs and oral history.The collection comprises of approx. 600 items. Textiles which include national costumes, rugs and handicrafts...
The Gumeracha and District History Centre is situated in the Library Complex, Albert Street Gumeracha. Comprising of the whole of the Torrens Valley Ward of the Adelaide Hills Council (formerly Gumeracha Council). Including the townships of Houghton, Inglewood, Hermitage, Cudlee Creek, Chain of Ponds, Millbrook, Kersbrook, Gumeracha, Kenton Valley, Forreston, Birdwood and Mt. Torrens.
Historical Museum. 1840's two storey house with tower built by John Newman, an old Etonian. Four outbuildings and garden. General articles of history of the community, Victorian furniture, a 1/2 scale model of the "Endeavour", photographs, the services memorabilia, children's toys, special displays, lace, tools of trades, carpentry teacher aids, laundry, wireless. In large pavilion 2 fire engines, Holden cars, interactive workshop, joinery, machinery, interactive Woodville station railway signal equipment. In upstairs of house - year 2002, special display "below decks" of HMS Investigator,...
A specially built building, with air conditioning and special lighting with a display area, office area and store roomThe museum holds collections and displays of period costume and accessories dating 1870s to 1980s - All authentic there is a collection of old books including The Girls Own Annual, The Leisure Hour, fashion Journals with original paper patterns 1906 to 1965, nearly complete and many other useful resource books for students.
A specialised collection relating to exploration in the South Pacific. The building constructed in 1954 with some 26,000 hand made bricks brought from the convict kiln at Variety Bay, North Bruny Island. On display are maps, documents, paintings and artefacts recalling the visits to Adventure Bay of explorers such as Furneaux, Cook and Bligh and others.Pacific Exploration
The museum is located in the repaired ruins of large ornate brick engine houses, built in 1905 for the Beaconsfield "Tasmania" gold mine. This 950sqm space is augmented by a 540sqm new building, outside space and a near-by park depicting the flowery gully school and a miner's cottage. A viewing platform overlooks the surface operational area of the Beaconsfield Mine Joint Venture. Average viewing time for the museum is 1 hour.2,000 items. Relics of Tasmania's largest gold mine 1878-1914, which produced 26 tonnes of gold. Adjacent to a large new mine about to produce gold from the old reef in...
Main Street Burnie as it was in 1900 at the height of the towns first Economic boom is regarded in this bustling street and include an INN, Dentist's Surgery, A Home, Carpenters, Printery, General Store and Saddlery. Authentic 19th Century materials, colours and Architectural styles have been used in the reconstruction.The collection was established in 1942 and consists of photographs, charts, clothing, tools, personal effects and furnishings.