Bon Accord Mine Complex

Bon Accord Mine Complex

The museum is a National Trust property. It is located on the remains of the Bon Accord Mine site and incorporates the original mine office and workshop (c1859) The Bon Accord Mine commenced operations in 1846 and ceased in 1863. There were many years of inactivity during this period as no payable copper deposits were found. The display in the mine office includes boards with comprehensive information, photographs, mining relics, ore samples and the office pay table from the Monster (Burra Burra) Mine. There are two models featured in the museum - one of a Horsewhim, the other of "Monster Mine" and the above ground structures which existed there in 1858. This model measures 7 metres x 5 metres is built to the scale of 1 to 87 and occupies an entire room. The Blacksmith Shop is fully operational, it includes the Forge of typical Cornish design and original elephant hide bellows. Housed in the pump shed is a shaft of the Bon Accord mine which is illuminated and viewed from the railings surrounding it. The outdoor includes a Horsewhim Core, Waterwheel hub and other pieces of mining equipment.

Address: 
2 Market Square, Burra, SA
Tel: 
0888922154
Hours: 
1pm-3pm Tue, Wed, Thur; 1pm-4pm Sat & Sun
Admission: 
Adults $4.50, concessions $3.50, children $2.50, families $10
Facilities: 
Wheelchair Access, Toilet, Guided Tours, Comprehensive Information, Brochure.
Collection: 
Mining Relics, Memorabilia, Photographs, Ore Samples and models relevant to the Burra copper mining area. 1845-1877.
Share

Items

Model

Monster Mine Model

Creator:
Mrs Pam Marlow
Description:
Model of above ground structures at the Burra Burra Monster Mine C1860 scale 1:87

The model was conceived by Pam Marlow to celebrate South Australia's Jubilee 150. It was begun in 1981 and from research to completion took 6 years.

Model

Horsewhim

Creator:
R. B. Bradford
Description:
Manually operated model of Horsewhim
Date:
1991

Horsewhims were used to raise ore to the surface from the underground tunnels. They were also used to bring water and waste to the surface, operated by whim boys: aged from 8-12yrs old, who worked in 8 hour shifts.

Workshop

Blacksmith Shop

Description:
The blacksmith Shop of Bon Accord Mine.
Date:
C1859

Remains as a fully operational Blacksmith shop. It includes typical Cornish Forge and original elephant hide bellows which are still used. Leadlight windows were placed to allow the best possible light for the blacksmith. A blacksmith is available for group tours by prior arrangement.

Shaft

Bon Accord Shaft

Description:
An original 90 metre shaft illuminated to the underground water level.

Shaft is covered with glass and surrounded by railings. Water was pumped from this shaft from 1908 until 1969 to provide Burra with a water supply.

Core of Horsewhim and kibble

Core of Horsewhim and kibble

Description:
Core of Horsewhim and Kibble used during Burra's mining period.

The core was the upright support for the winding mechanism for the whim. The kibble was a bucket used to raise ore to the surface. The whims replaced the earlier hand windlasses.