Hope Cottage

Hope Cottage is one of three built in 1857 by the Calnan family, later to become known as Faith, Hope and Charity. The Museum holds a collection of photographs, books, shipwreck articles, tractors, engines and farm machinery (some restored to working order). A tower in the grounds carries the light transferred from Tippera Reef to Cape Willoughby in 1922. There is also a working model of a eucalyptus still and a working windmill.

Centenary Avenue, Kingscote, SA
2pm-4pm daily, 1.30pm-5pm January, closed mid July to mid Aug except for Saturdays 2pm-4pm, closed Xmas Day and Good Friday. Tours out of hours may be arranged for 10 or more persons
Adults $4, Concession $3, Children 50c
Toilets, disabled access (movable ramp)
A wide variety of different articles from early Kangaroo Island. The cottage has the normal things found in a home in the early days including the first piano brought to Kangaroo Island. On display in the parlour is a log cabin design quilt which featured in the Quilters of Australia magazine. Large photographic display and family history records, cellar, laundry display, automobilia display. A transport room depicting air and sea transport from as far back as 1860 to the present. The sheds are full of farm machinery and implements used in the early days. The majority of displays are labelled as to their original use, and volunteers are always on hand to explain anything else.



Hope Cottage

Hope Cottage
Michael & Charles Calnan
Five roomed home with passage, back porch and cellar. The original home Michael Calnan, situated on a largeblock of land surrounded by native garden.

Tractor Shed

Fordson Tractor, Oliver Hart-Parr Tractor, plus other machinery housed in tractor shed.


Donated by Mrs Strawbridge
Donated by Mrs Strawbridge whose Mother, a seamtress in London used beautiful silk and velvet pieces to create this significant example of log cabin design in the early 1900's

The quilt was featured in the Australian Quilters Directory by Jenny Manning in 1999. We have two other quilts on display.


Dating from the early 1860's, this wooden framed piano was bought to Kangaroo Island by Michael Calnan. It was the first piano on Kangaroo Island and enlivened many a gathering at Hope Cottage


Original top of the Cape Willoughby Lighthouse

Original top of the Cape Willoughby Lighthouse
Dept. Marine & Transport
This is the top part of the oldest lighthouse in South Australia built in 1832 at Cape Willoughby on the Easterly point of Kangaroo Island. It was known as the Sturt Light and was replaced by a more modern light. It is in working order in the museum.

Cape Willoughby Lighthouse is a major compnent of Australian's coastal navigation. The light was constructed from granite and limestone quarried nearby from a deep rock cleft in the cliff face immediately adjacent to the light. Three stone cottages were also built to house the headkeeper, two assistants and their families.