Local History

Mackay City Council Library Services Local History Collection acts as a repository and reference source for printed Local History. The Historical Pictorial Collection contains over 5000 images of Mackay, its people and the surrounding area. Some special collections and artefacts are held.Printed local history, Photographs, Council records, Family histories, Special collections.
The collection is housed in a large, vinyl-clad building, erected in 1895 is of good appearance. The floor area is partitioned off into alcoves, each displaying memorabilia of a similar nature eg. Mining alcoves, Kitchen alcove etc. Further memorabilia is housed in the museum yard. There is ample parking adjacent to museum.Over 1,000 photographs, mostly mining; over 700 objects, many mining items. Our Collection consists of numerous photographs (with a brief history of the image) objects and manuscripts which depict the history of the mine and town from the start of mining in 1882. The...
The North Stradbroke Island Historical Museum comprises four buildings. The history of the Dunwich Benevolent Asylum (the first state aged care nursing home) from 1866 to 1947 is displayed in a replica 1872 ward that was a Centenary of Federation project; the main building houses the general collection and is constructed of timber from demolished Benevolent Asylum buildings and contains the Aboriginal, shipwreck, communications, pioneer and present day industries displays; the Herdsman's Hut (dismantled, moved 200 metres, then reassembled) is an original Benevolent Asylum building; a replica...
The Historical Society of Cairns was formed by the School of Arts Committee in 1958 to study and record the history of Far North Queensland. It has fulfilled these aims admirably. Its publication program includes books such as Photographic Memories, Establishment Trinity Bay, Cairns Range Railway and Cairns Mulgrave Tramway, as well as several minor booklets and 485 monthly bulletins. The current membership of the Society is over 390 and growing. The Society has been housed in the School of Arts Building since its inception and is run by a dedicated group of voluntary workers and office...
A collection of the district's old buildings and many items of historical value: machinery, tools, household items, photograph albums and certificates.
The Stock Exchange, a grand masonry building on the main street, was built as The Royal Arcade in 1888. The Stock Exchange occupied the building in 1890.

The Assay Room is at the rear and contains items associated with mining history.Small collection of items, specimens, photographs and leases
A display of smaller objects and pictorial and written material of local and cultural significance attached to Cunnamulla Library.This is a small but interesting collection with a library in front. It mostly consists of written and pictorial items of historical and cultural significance including, old photographs and items such as bottles, irons, books, aboriginal stones and old types of equipment.
The Museum consists of an old head teacher's residence transported to the site; a railway station building similar to the old Samford railway station; a hand-cut weather-board cream shed transported from a farm to the site; an old slab kitchen donated to the Museum and re-constructed in the grounds; laundry attached to kitchen and a machinery shed partly built with old slabs and original old cow bails. Each building displays relevant furniture, utensils, tools and goods donated by local residents. On permanent loan from the Queensland Museum is the diorama of the Samford Aboriginal Bora...
The Museum collection is of early and local history. It comprises: farm implements, tools and machinery, bottles, saddles and riding equipment, blacksmiths' tools, telephones, rock specimens, mining tools and tropical rainforest timber samples.Over 600 items
The Beaudesert Historical Society and Information Centre was founded on 11th April, 1961 and has had its headquarters in the Historical Complex situated in Brisbane St. Beaudesert. The building also houses the museum collection. The Pioneer Cottage, originally built in 1875 by a pioneer on his Kerry property, was given to the society by his grandchildren and rebuilt entirely of hand hewn timbers, slats and shingle roof and finished with a four-poster bed, large cedar side-board and numerous articles that portray the life of the early pioneers.

The new museum houses a comprehensive display of...
The Cardwell Museum holds material in two library buildings (Cardwell and Tully). This consists mainly of historical photographs, although objects are beginning to be acquired. All items are of local interest to the Cardwell Shire area. The Museum includes a collection of local Aboriginal artefacts, and features material on the local sugar industry.2,500 photographs, 300 items
The Museum is centred around a Georgian brick cottage built on site in 1864. Approximately one-third of Ban Ban Station homestead was moved to the complex plus a small country school. The collection includes a wide variety of household and farm equipment. A main attraction are the steam engines and saw mill, all in working order. These are shown working several times each year.3,500 items plus 2,800 photographs
The Raspberry Creek Homestead was moved to Byfield from the Shoalwater Bay Military area in 1987. Its buildings and items are appropriate to a remote cattle property pre 1950. The site includes a library, and museum artefacts will be on display for special occasions.
The Museum has several displays mounted at all times. The early school and its maps together with a good photographic collection are readily available. The Museum has quite a varied collection of early day household items. Tara's first Court House furniture is on display and outside the building is the original jail and railwagons and an original siding shed.Approximately 2,000 to 2,500 items
The Museum displays Wondai Shire's history through artefacts from the early 1900s. Some of these include a 1934 Dennis fire engine, an Australia Remembers cabinet, bottle collection, steam traction engine, a hospital operating theatre, shingle barn, manual telephone exchange, petrol pump, church organ 1916, film projection equipment plus numerous farm machinery, equipment and other items.Approximately 8,500 items including photographic boards.
The complex is a pioneer village and museum. It comprises eleven weatherboard buildings in original condition: a museum hall (3 buildings); Acutt House - 1930 original home; 1910 ex Methodist Church and Church Vestry; a blacksmith shop; Dairy and three sheds of agricultural and manufacturing machinery including special "sugar cane" collection; and Goodwood Railway Station with rails and small goods carriage used for servicing oil tankers from the "Pier". The buildings are furnished with historical items, including significant collections of agricultural machinery, tools, appliances,...
The Wide Bay Hospitals Museum is a small museum housed in the Maryborough Base Hospital complex, cared for by a small group of past trained nurses and friends. It contains mostly items pertaining to the hospital and the medical profession. These include originals plans of the hospital built 1887; minutes of board meetings, early records of births and deaths, surgical instruments and apparatus, dental and pathology articles, reference books donated by doctors, and silverware from private section of hospital.Approximately 600
This heritage-listed woolscour, that once operated by steam, has been left intact as a living document. It is this last one of this type in Australia. There is a 20 stand shearing shed attached to the wool washing complex and an open flowing bore nearby. Outbuildings include a cookhouse, shearers quarters and managers residence. It has been left mainly intact and conservation work completed in 2002 reintroduced steam to the site.The collection consists mainly of historic machinery and buildings, large boilers, steam engines, wool wash troughs, large steam driven dryers, historic wool presses...
Loudoun House Museum, former home of John Moffat, Queensland's greatest mining entrepreneur, was built in 1884 from North Queensland red cedar. It houses a mineral collection and memorabilia from the early mining days of this area, a very extensive photographic collection which depicts the town and life as it was in the early years of this century. It also has a good archival collection on mining history.3,000 photographs, 20,000 items
The museum is in a fully furnished (c 1900) house and preserves a record of the history of the district through the home and furnishings, some farm machinery, sheds, tools, a slab shed and harness. The dairy industry and butter factory artefacts are featured. The museum also includes an extensive collection of photographs and a growing collection of the histories of people in the town and district.890 articles plus 820 photographs