The Streaky Bay Museum is housed in the old school. It includes the family history of the Campbell family (1864), the Kelsh family (1860) Kelsh pioneer pug and pine cottage, the Freeman family (1856) and Mudge family 1855, as well as machinery dating back to the 1880s.A large collection of great variey. Furniture, household items, farm machinery, historic buildings, horse drawn vehicles, vintage cars and medical artefacts and instruments.. The collection is a source of local history of people and their way of life through the years.
A magnificent Northern French Romanesque building. Built in 1866 as the Baptist Church with two floors. This is complimented by an extensive undercover display area for the agricultural, industrial and transport history of Kapunda. Bagot's Fortune is managed by the Kapunda Historical Society Inc. See separate Guide listing for their other venue, the Kapunda Museum.Extensive collection of the social, commercial, industrial and agricultural history of Kapunda.
Bluey Blundstone's Blacksmith shop was built in 1865 in Melrose, South Australia. Melrose is the oldest town in the Flinders Ranges, first settled with the discovery of copper in 1846. This is just 10 years after South Australia was proclaimed a state. For some time Melrose was the most Northerly judicial, commercial, educational, religious and postal centre, serving the huge expanse known as 'The Far North'. The substantial size, architectural style and unique double forge reflect the importance of Blueys to these local and regional activities. The entire complex has been lovingly and...
The museum is located in a heritage building in the heart of the Adelaide central business district. All items in the collection relate to freemasonry in South Australia and the Northern Territory, covering the period from 1834 to the present day. Some items originate from interstate or overseas. A guided tour operates every Thursday at 2:00 pm.The collection contains thousands of items of memorabilia, including regalia, jewels, furniture, glassware, minute books, paintings, warrants, and documents.
Operated by the Glenorchy City Council, the Centre provides a large exhibition space. It also offers workshop facilities for community groups and artists.
Runnymede an 1840's sandstone Regency villa surrounded by elegant lawns and gardens, focuses on aspects of Southern Tasmania's history. Today, as a house museum, it makes a strong statement about domestic life in the colony in the 1860's. It depicts the home environment of successful business and professional people, rather than that of the very rich. Through the three families who lived there over 120 years, Runnymede has close links with widely separate aspects of the colony's history. First, Scottish-born lawyer Robert Pitcairn, who played a part in the demise of convict transportation,...
A collection of motor vehicles and motorcycles from the 1900s to the 1990s, the Museum contains over 100 exhibitions which are regularly changed. The vehicles are available for special presentations and functions.Approximately 100 items and memorabilia
The Pilot Station was est. in 1805, the oldest building on site was convict built in 1835 of blue stone rubble walls and convict handmade brick interior, this accommodated 4 pilots and their families and now houses the Maritime Museum, research centre & archives and the Sir Raymond Ferrall Gallery. The other dwellings house visitor accommodation and the Pilot Station crew.Maritime & communication memorabilia, diving suit & air pump, 9 lb cannon, whaling artifacts, items recovered from shipwrecks, signal flags, signal lanterns oil and electric, rope and knot display convict artefacts, depth...
(i) to preserve & maintain the "Victoria" Powder Magazine building situated on Carriage Drive, Queens Domain, Hobart within the guide-lines laid down for historic buildings on the register of National Estate.

(ii) to establish & maintain a museum relating to the military theme "the defences of the Derwent" from 1803 to 1945, at the "Victoria" Powder Magazine.

(iii) to raise monies pursuant to objectives (i) & (ii) by conducting military re-enactments in period uniform, and by acquiring, buying and selling Tasmanian Colonial & Commonwealth militaria. The assets and income of STVAS, shall be...
Established as an artists' colony in the 1930s by Justus Jorgensen, Montsalvat is a cluster of medieval-styled buildings. The Great Hall contains paintings by Jorgensen and other members of the group.

Authentic buildings including a school, church, homesteads, public halls and shops now house a collection of domestic items and agricultural equipment. Nestled on the lower reaches of the Wimmera River, the Wimmera Mallee Pioneer Museum covers 4.5 Hectares and houses an extensive collection of farm machinery and a window into the lifestyles of the European Settlers from the mid 1800's to the mid 1900's.

Como is one of a few surviving large suburban estates, dating from 1847, just over 10 years after European settlement of the Port Phillip district. For 95 years it was owned by the Armytage family, prominent graziers and well known members of Melbourne Society. Much of their original furniture is in the house today. The house is surrounded by 6.5 acres of beautiful gardens.Approx. 1500 pieces of furniture and decorative art objects, mostly original to the Armytage family's period of ownership (1864-1959).

The Museum, consists of an historic post office (1890), a early and later period school buildings, pioneer's cottage and a bark hut. Lewis Lasseter (of fabled gold reef fame) - story of his activities in the district. His work boat is on display at the Museum. Displays deal with local history - from the discovery of gold, followed by timber getting, then dairying. As the area developed into a thriving community.Approximately 800 artefacts and 2000 photographs, and 100 documents

Maintenance of complex: Buildings to house furniture/Artefacts in the style of the turn of the century. Cottage is pre-gold rush sandstone and weatherboard. Brick "Forge" Shop & Weatherboard wheelwright and paint shed, also earth closet and pavilion.Inside furnished as a lived in home - (cottage style) domestic items and technology, social history and local history (cards and photos) Outside shows horse-transport, tools, metalwork, trades and cultural heritage.
This museum exhibits civil and military aircraft with an emphasis on Australian design and/or manufacture. Exhibitions display photographs and artefacts.Estimate 40 aircraft total collection including 21 aircraft on public display, plus 7 buildings with 4 open to the public
The Firelight Museum is located 10 minutes (9km) North from Leongatha. The Tudor style building also features other changing displays. It is set in a park with a playground and barbecue facilities.On display at the Firelight Museum is a fascinating collection of antique lamps (1860 - 1940), coins, pocket watches (1803 onwards), jewellery and firearms (1560-1935).
This historic hotel/boarding house (built 1876) houses a collection of furniture, crockery, glassware, gowns, and napery, library, war memoranda, saddlery, pictures, photographs, family histories, carriages, farm machinery, tools etc. The first National Bank built in nearby Longwood (1886) has been resited in the grounds of the museum.Approximately 14 rooms of exhibits, annexe, machinery shed and National Bank, Eliza Furlonge Cottage
Occupying a spectacular position overlooking Port Phillip Bay, the Fort was one of Victoria's first colonial defence initiatives. Features include its fortified walls and tower, gun emplacements, powder magazines and uniforms, weapons and illustrative material on the history of Victoria's coastal defence.
The Gallery holds a collection of European and Australian paintings, prints and decorative arts from the 1700s, ethnographic material, antiquities and oriental decorative arts. It includes a large collection of works by the eighteenth-century English artist Paul Sandby.Approximately 7,000 items – Australian and English paintings and prints (1700s to contemporary), Greek and Roman Antiquities, Oriental Ceramics from the Han dynasty onwards, European glass, silver and ceramics (1700s to contemporary).
While Australia's oldest public art gallery The National Gallery of Victoria undergoes a program of redevelopment, a temporary gallery is located at 285-321 Russell Street. The magnificently restored 19th century galleries at Russell Street house over 700 key works from the NGV's permanent collection. The National Gallery of Victoria on Russell marks the Gallery's return to its original home, which it occupied from 1861 until the move to the Roy Ground's designed building in St Kilda Road in 1968.

The National Gallery of Victoria International Art will open in 2002 at the St Kilda Road site...