The collection of this folk museum is 95 percent local and visitors enjoy its hands on approach. Of special interest is a 110 year old church, the old boarding house, a converted movie prop and a range of working machines. Includes military museum, blacksmith shop, tack room, rock and mineral display room, large shed containing machinery and workshop, said by visitors to be one of the best and biggest of its type in the countryApproximately 20,000 items. Anything and everything related to history of Nambucca Valley. Includes the Nambucca District Combined Services Museum Inc. (military...
The Museum focuses on local history and the community culture of Shellharbour City. Collections include; Aboriginal culture, pioneering industries of dairy farming with ancillary industries of coal mining, tanneries and coach building. The centre point of the museum is a bronze bust of Caroline Chisholm, 'The Emigrants Friend', who settled some 23 families to Shellharbour in 1843.
The 2004 exhibition 'The Built Environment of Shellharbour City', will open 24th April, to coincide with The National Trust 'Heritage Festival'. This exhibition will encompass man made structures such as statues,...
The museum's local history collection includes furniture, clothing, books, china, machinery and photos. These items are displayed in a bedroom, parlour and sewing room of a 1920s house and in an extension. Separate rooms have been devoted to materials from the Returned Service League and to the writer Miles Franklin. A large machinery shed holds agricultural equipment and large domestic machinery. School photos and memorabilia are also available.Collection covers items and information believed relevant to the history of Tumut and district. Textiles of the last century including articles worn...
The role of the Infantry Museum is to collect, preserve and exhibit the history of the Australian infantry soldier. The Museum is located within the Singleton Army Camp, which is the home of the army's Infantry Centre. The collection includes uniforms weapons, medals equipment and memorabilia. Current exhibitions include "Kokoda - The Bloody Track", "Korean War", "Tools of Trade", "The Tasmanians", "The Owen Gun Story" and "WWII Remembered".Estimated 12,000 objects
A member of the Army History Unit Network of Museums and Historical Collections.The site of North Battery 9.2" gun defences during World War II. The site comprises tunnels, gun emplacements and observation posts as well as five display buildings containing artillery memorabilia and equipment from 1788 to the present.The museum has 3,000 catalogued objects. Approximately 60 major gun equipments, approximately 3,000 books and publications, 500 uniforms
McCrossin's Mill Museum and function centre is owned and operated by volunteers of Uralla Historical Society. The superbly restored three-storey flour mill houses many exhibitions, each with a distinctive, sometimes even humorous flavour. Visitors are astonished to find such a "Professional" set up in the quaint village of Uralla. Population 2,500. They also love the mill's beautifully maintained gardens, and the "Death of Thunderbolt" Painting series.Major features: Chinese Artefacts, "Death of Thunderbolt paintings", Thunderbolt Exhibition, Corporal Cecil Stoker Exhibition. (WWI), Tricketts...
This local history museum is housed in a former School of Arts (1896) that has been rebuilt with the original facade intact. It includes displays on bushrangers who roamed the area (Ben Hall, Gardiner), famous locals such as Henry Lawson, Jan Lehane (tennis player) and Stan McCabe (Cricketer)Extensive local historical records, maps and photographs, extensive local family history records. Comprehensive displays of household items, musical items, sporting records, bushrangers, war records, local business memorabilia, local government records, local newspapers.
The Dubbo Military Museum is a private collection of artefacts from the World War II era. It's collection includes planes, tanks, guns, vehicles, uniforms and documents.50 major exhibits
Built in 1895, this two-storey former hotel opened as a museum in 1971. There are 22 rooms housing turn of the century fashions, furnishing and artefacts. Features include a kitchen; laundry; slab school house and historic machinery displayed in the grounds.600 varied items; 1 ha. machinery items
The building was formerly the local tourist information centre. Steel frame with brick walls and asbestos sheeting roof. It is situated off the main street and on the bank of the Richmond River. The town library, swimming pool and new tourist facility are adjacent. Just under 18,000 visitors for 1998, mostly from outside the area.The La Balsas raft is the main feature. The collection includes models of naval ships, sailing vessels, merchant shipping and many associated photographs, paintings, uniforms and other militaria.
The collection housed the Royal Australian Navy's presentations, relics and trophies, in buildings originally designed to warehouse armaments and ammunition. These are located on an island at the extreme western end of Sydney Harbour. The buildings date from 1865. Items from the collection are lent to most major maritime and military museums and throughout the Royal Australian Navy.Over 750,000 items
A Beau Geste-style fortress structure houses this social history museum. Its emphasis is on military history, with exhibits ranging from a Japanese tank to miniature soldiers. The Museum also features a historic comics section, stamps, hundreds of cameras, rare musical instruments and other items of general and Australian historical interest.
A small museum with a very comprehensive display of historical photos relevant to Yamba's history, some working models (eg. the lighthouse, the railway which was used to build Yamba's breakwater walls), some artefacts and a large quantity of reading material (newspaper cuttings, historical books etc).850 historical artefacts; 300 books; over 1,000 photographs, plus ten photograph albums and ten volumes of newspaper cuttings
The policy of the museum is to collect items relating to Paterson and the district - The collection is housed in the former Paterson Court House (1858-63) Fully restored externally and set in well maintained grounds. We extend country hospitality which complements the well accredited museum.The history of Paterson and District covering indigenous, white settlement, convict times to district development to present day in a relaxing well presented atmosphere.
The building, with its interior sculptures and bas relief panels by Raynor Hoff, commemorates the courage and sacrifices of those who fought in World War I. Exhibition showcases within the Memorial show various aspects of the life of servicemen and women in times of war. A permanent ongoing photographic exhibition depicts the nine conflicts in which Australians participated between 1885 and 1972.
Since its opening in 1968, the Gundagai Museum has displayed a wealth of historical memorabilia depicting a life that was both hard and gracious. Special exhibits include Phar Lap's saddlecloth, the shirt worn by Banjo Patterson's Kiley of Kileys Run and the assayer's bowl used by US President Herbert Hoover. The museum also features displays on bushrangers; Melba XV; the famous Gundagai cow; and Aboriginal hero Yarri. Other items in its collection include scaled models of early buildings and historical photographs and documents.Approximately 10,000 items of historical memorabilia
Visitors can explore all aspects of Cobar's unique industrial, pastoral, Aboriginal and social history during a visit to the centre. Displays are housed in the Great Cobar Copper Mine's magnificent administration building erected in 1910. Interpretive signs outside guide visitors through the grounds and an amazing collection of mining and transport artefacts, and on to the surrounding heritage areas.20,000 objects relating to the social, mining, pastoral and Aboriginal history of the Cobar district, ranging from large transport to fine instruments. Includes over 3,000 photographs and 50 art...
The museum is housed in a 100 year old weatherboard cottage with additional items held in a re-located cottage and sheds. There are also displays outside. The collection began as a Bicentenary celebration project and features displays depicting the history of Junee and district, and family histories.
The Museum houses a collection of historic artefacts, some pertaining to Gilgandra. The Cooee March Room contains memorabilia of the Boer War, World War I (Grace March) and World War II. A large shed houses rural and outdoor exhibits of machinery and historic buildings.
The NSW Lancers Memorial Museum commemorates the history of the NSW Lancers, Australian Light Horse, Cavalry and the Armoured Corps. Situated in 19th Century Lancer Barracks, the Museum has a large collection of cavalry and armoured corps memorabilia including a well maintained collection of armoured vehicles. The Museum contains New South Wales Cavalry and Light Horse memorabilia as well as memorabilia, photographic equipment and vehicles from the Royal Australian Armoured Corp.The collection has many strengths. It includes uniforms, saddlery, banners, drums, photos, models and armoured...