Professionals and Trades

Apothecary Thomas Gaydon arrived in Childers, Queensland in 1894. He established Gaydon's Pharmacy (1894-1982) and became the town chemist, dentist, optician, veterinarian, anaesthetist and photographer. Gaydon's building is now the home of the Childer's Pharmaceutical Museum and still contains the beautiful cedar fittings, ground glass bottles with gold leaf lettering, leather bound prescription books, Wedgwood mortar and pestles, early pill making machines and old medicine labels. The original cash register (1906) still sits on the red cedar counter. This collection spans one hundred...
Located in the main street adjacent to closed ANZ Bank, Café and B&B, the museum is housed in five buildings which contain a varied collection of items and memorabilia depicting life and activities from the surrounding shire area. The main building contains a reconstructed general store and barber shop, and rooms have been outfitted with furniture depicting a parlour and bedroom from the 1920s. A slab shed, built with materials from local properties, holds mining and agricultural equipment. Many exhibits depict rural life from earlier times, including examples of fencing, a horse works and...
The museum is located in the former Sisters of Mercy convent erected in 1887-1889. Following restoration by the National Trust, the James Cook Museum was opened in 1970. A $2.3 million Commonwealth Federation Fund grant in 2001 has enabled a rear Gallery extension to be added and the interior displays updated.The new Endeavour Gallery contains the original anchor and cannon from Captain Cook's ship "Endeavour", plus detailed items relating to Cook's extended stay in Cooktown in 1770.The museum also contains other items from Cooktown's early history.Photographic collection of approx 2,000...
The Australian Stockman's Hall of Fame and Outback Heritage Centre recalls those familiar features of the Australian landscape - corrugated iron roofs, water tanks, silos, wool sheds and shady verandahs. The interior features a vaulted ceiling and displays designed to reflect the wide-open spaces, colour and character of the outback landscape they celebrate.

The Australian Stockman's Hall of Fame and Outback Heritage Centre has now proven itself to be the envisaged tourism destination. Longreach is a pivotal point on the Tropic of Capricorn, linking the Reef in the east with Uluru in the...
The Museum was formed to preserve the regions maritime and local history. The museum's aim is to provide an education centre for school children to learn about our local history, and also for visiting tourists.1 500 photographs, 900 books, plus estimated 2000 items (displayed)
We are a small group attempting to preserve the original site of white settlement in the area and the surrounding history. In addition, we are promoting local cultural activities on the site. Our most famous building is made from local stone and is possibly the first building built to metric dimensions in Australia.
Hermann Neumann migrated from Germany with his parents and brothers in 1884. He met and married Annie Schermuly in Ipswich in 1885. Annie was of English and German descent and had left England to come to Australia on a working holiday (she was the ship's interpreter). Hermann and a brother had a furniture business in Ipswich, Queensland. In 1893 Hermann, Annie and their three sons, moved to Laidley and Hermann proceeded to set up his family furniture business. He started to build the family residence, showroom and two storey workshop in 1893. His main emphasis was on the business, so the...
The Museum is housed in the old power-station building, situated directly opposite the peanut silos in the town's Heritage Precinct. Other historic displays are located in Shire's earliest Council chambers and in Carroll's Cottage (the first building constructed in Kingaroy).The Museum's collection includes machinery used in local agriculture and the district's peanut industry. There is also a collection of tools used in trades such as carpentry, blacksmithing, dairying and the timber industry, as well as household items. The Museum also holds photos and a limited local archival records.
Caloundra Regional Art Gallery is a 'Category A' non-collecting gallery, curating and hiring exhibitions of national and international calibre. The Gallery's motto is 'Excellence, Education and Equity'.
The museum is located in what was previously the Unley Fire Station. The Museum collects, preserves, researches and displays items which are relevant to the history of the Unley Council area and which identify its unique character. A permanent display "Unley Remembered" traces the chronological history of the area. Changing exhibitions on a wide range of themes are presented regularly. The ACCESS Gallery provides space for local community groups and organisations to present their own displays.Approximately 3,000 photographs; 4,000 documents; 4,000 artefacts
Eight separate buildings: The historic pioneer house, the one teacher school, the blacksmith shop, the Government Shed are equipped. Sheds house the farm machinery, stationary engines and fir engine, while a separate museum centre contains a library, photographic and interpretive displays, taped histories and various documents relating to social history. All in bushland setting.Kimba's local history museum includes pioneer domestic and farming items, stationary engines, harness vehicles and equipment, vintage trucks and tractors, a water conservation model, schooling and communication...
We are situated on the main street in the Old Telegraph station c.1860. Focusing the history of the building and towns history. McKinlays artefacts (explorer)Small archival records, small collection of photographs, telegraphic memorabilia, household items. Gawler's early industrial era. General items of the towns businesses.
Housed in the former Moonta Mines School is a collection of historical artefacts relating to the Cornish heritage and settlement of the district. Particular emphasis is placed on copper mining. Numerous records, photographs and microfilm are also held. The Moonta National Trust also operates an historic miner's cottage nearby, and an interpretive tourist railway through the former mine site.20,000 items, 5,000 photographs
The Museum is located in a former bakehouse comprising grocer's shop, dining room, kitchen, upstairs bedroom and parlour, wash house, underground bakery, implement sheds and portrait gallery. The bakehouse is a special feature and is historically very important.Approximately 800 items plus large quantity of photographs
The lighthouse stood for 100 years offshore on a reef, 5 miles at sea. When it became obsolete it was dismantled and brought ashore and re-erected in Kingston. The lighthouse is furnished with some of the original furniture and contains all the lantern room equipment. Although not used as a lighthouse , it is still in working order.The height of the lighthouse is 134 feet and one of the few lighthouses with living quarters as part of the structure. Some original furnishings remain in the lighthouse
Five buildings house a collection of old machinery, some of which have been restored.
The museum is situated in a 130 year old building set among others of the same era which formed part of a former gas works. In the museum is a collection of vintage gas appliances, gas making plant and records. The display of items depicts the history of the gas industry in Australia in general and the South Australian Gas Company in particular.
This 1860s Police Station and Courthouse complex are fine examples of colonial stonemasons' workmanship. The stonework consist of fieldstones (office), bluestone (courthouse), limestone and shingled stables, complete with blinden for windows. The cells have keyed in stonework roofs. Quoins and dressings are of sandstone. The collection consists of memorabilia of former Police Station use; C.J. Dennis ("The Sentimental Bloke" poet); and J. Mellor, stonemason; as well as historic photographs and general archival material.
The Museum's collections focus on: the 1894 settler's cottage; the 1910 Congregational church and manse; the AMP Society Land Development; the Gold Escort Route of 1852; and the Wild Dog Fence which saved the fledgling colony of South Australia from failing.Approximately 1,000 items including a feral dog preserved by taxidermist, as well as photographs.
The home was built for William Moyle, a Cornwall engineer who operated the adjacent cordial factory and public baths. It is made of local stone with ironwork and illustrates turn of the century well-to-do living. The house is heritage listed and displays a wide range of collections, including period costumes, stained glass, furniture, household appliances, and a doll display. A brochure is available which provides fuller details.Thousands of artefacts including 1,000 pair of salt and pepper shakers, 2,500 dolls, 600 teddy bears