Rural Life

The very down to earth "lived with", hands-on centre contains many historical papers, photos, articles and a beautiful "Plangon" doll collection. The collections are housed in several rooms with the themes of: tools; the community; ladies; boats; kitchen and dining; school, war and hospital; and dolls.200-300 items, plus 200-300 photographs
Situated in the picturesque Koppio Hills, the Museum consists of a fully restored blacksmith shop built in 1903, an historic cottage, also restored, and displays of farm machinery and other items of interest from around the turn of the century. There is also a district school building housing memorabilia and Aboriginal artefacts, and a restored pine log cottage, c1890, Glenleigh. Heritage Hall contains Jericho family treasures and the Bob Dobbins Barbed Wire collection.Approximately 10,000 items, plus photographs. The museum covers 1 hectare, with fourteen buildings - i.e.. Old homes, small...
This historical building holds a collection of local history items and memorabilia relating to whaling, fishing, agriculture and social history. A blacksmith shop is part of the complex, with the upstairs furnished in 1890s style.
The enginehouse has been fully restored (1986), apart from the original engine. A scale model (1:16) is fully operational and explained by guides. Videos (x3) provide further relevant information as do information boards on all three floors. Walks outside include; via a restored adit into the retimbered shaft, access to Morphett's Windinghouse, pool, mine offices and cottages, Grave's enginehouse and view of open-cut mine.Model and information boards mentioned above. Scale model of jinker. Mining artefacts, including cabinets inside of more sensitive material (e.g. 1820's pocket bible)....
The waterwheel, manufactured in Salisbury, was originally used on the Little Para River to pump water to irrigate a citrus orchard. It operated from 1911 to 1914, when it was abandoned. The Salisbury Rotary Club restored it and it is now housed in its own building. Associated with this is an historic display of the citrus industry which flourished in Salisbury from 1870 to 1950.
The Museum occupies three rooms which were originally the residential part of the Old Police Station. It contains a comprehensive collection of general artefacts and personal items, many of which came from the family of John Harvey who founded Salisbury in 1848. Because Salisbury was originally a farming community there are many farming relics; a complete blacksmith's shop, a display on the town's flour mill, and numerous household items. There is also an extensive photograph library.400 items; 500 photographs
The Museum houses items of farming, local industries and items of household use for the last 100 years. A large collection of bulldog tractors and other large farm implements can be viewed, while household items and photographs are held in the Old Council Chambers.600-1,000 items
The contents of the Museum reflect the life of Kapunda through home, work, sport and farming. The Museum covers some 11,000 square feet depicting all aspects of lifestyles and working life in Kapunda. There are important collections relating to copper mining, manufacture of farm implements, the Hawke Foundry and social life. The Kapunda Museum is managed by the Kapunda Historical Society Inc. See separate Guide listing for their other venue, Bagot's Fortune.20,000 items
A magnificent Northern French Romanesque building. Built in 1866 as the Baptist Church with two floors. This is complimented by an extensive undercover display area for the agricultural, industrial and transport history of Kapunda. Bagot's Fortune is managed by the Kapunda Historical Society Inc. See separate Guide listing for their other venue, the Kapunda Museum.Extensive collection of the social, commercial, industrial and agricultural history of Kapunda.
The Museum has been developed in the old One Tree Hill School building, c1854 (previously Uleybury School) as a classroom containing educational furniture and material through the years. There is also a craft shed with displays of children's art/craft. The Museum can be used by schools to show children what schools and teaching were like in the past.photographs and educational specimens
Cottage was built in 1862 from solid limestone blocks. All window frames, door frames and skirting board are still original - the only original floor remains in the bedroom (baltic pine). All other floors are replaced.n/a
Building former East Torrens Council Chambers built in 1902-3. Collection - artifacts relating to local fruit growing and market gardening industries and families. Occasional special displays are mounted.
The focal point is the original Chaffey homestead built in 1889, using a unique pine log method of construction. The house has been tastefully furnished and decorated with period artefacts. In addition the original fruit packing shed houses a great collection of old style tools and implements as used in the early days of what was the first irrigation settlement in Australia. A comprehensive museum of local memorabilia including aboriginal artefacts is also maintained.Inside the house, fruit packing shed and separate museum, is a large collection of local items with many photographs that give...
The Gumeracha and District History Centre is situated in the Library Complex, Albert Street Gumeracha. Comprising of the whole of the Torrens Valley Ward of the Adelaide Hills Council (formerly Gumeracha Council). Including the townships of Houghton, Inglewood, Hermitage, Cudlee Creek, Chain of Ponds, Millbrook, Kersbrook, Gumeracha, Kenton Valley, Forreston, Birdwood and Mt. Torrens.
Bluey Blundstone's Blacksmith shop was built in 1865 in Melrose, South Australia. Melrose is the oldest town in the Flinders Ranges, first settled with the discovery of copper in 1846. This is just 10 years after South Australia was proclaimed a state. For some time Melrose was the most Northerly judicial, commercial, educational, religious and postal centre, serving the huge expanse known as 'The Far North'. The substantial size, architectural style and unique double forge reflect the importance of Blueys to these local and regional activities. The entire complex has been lovingly and...
Our museums goal is to tell the story of ordinary Australian motoring. We are a social history museum with a dynamic exhibition and events program. A scenic drive through the Adelaide hills leads to the small town of Birdwood. Our 3,500 sq metres of pavilions display a collection and interpretation that appeals to the general public as well as enthusiasts.
The National Motor Museum is a Museum of the History Trust of South Australia.The National Motor Museum has the largest collection of motor vehicles of any Museum in the Southern hemisphere. The collection is comprised of cars, trucks,...
The complex is comprised of a stone courthouse, police station, police horse stables and original lock-up. Established in 1848, it played an important role in the development of the district. Exhibitions are also displayed in two modern buildings on site.The early police and judiciary are the main themes of our museum exhibition, supported by displays dealing with early settlement in the area. We also have extensive historic photographic and paper (documents etc) collections.
Oldest 2 story commercial premises, Built 1875. Underground Bakehouse. Old grocery Shop, Victoriana displays, music room, kitchen, bedroom. Dressmaking establishment, photo gallery, laundry/bathroom. Ironmongery room. Currently establishing large display of items from horse drawn era, in custom built shed, everything is represented of local history, books, histories, photo's and artefacts, outside display of farming equipment, tractors, wagons ect.Local archives and photos, farming machinery from the past, furniture, china, glass, musical instruments, household items each area has a...
The collection has written and historical materials of significance to the Clare regionThe collection is comprised of written, photographic and microform material
The Hamilton Heritage Centre is a small, local interest museum consisting of photographs and artefacts of the area. It is located in the Old Warder's Cottage, which was part of the convict probation station at Hamilton. It consists of a two-roomed cottage with displays, church records, farm and household items and photocopy facilities.Photographs 1870's to 1950's showing rural life and vista of Hamilton. Church records for St Peter's Anglican Church and Cemetery. Records for all churches in upper Derwent Valley. Farm implements and household articles.