Historic Buildings

A very large historical precinct of mining equipment and buildings (commissioned by Herbert Hoover, 1896) and restored houses, shop and boarding house in the town of Gwalia. The Museum has a excellent display of photographs, business and household equipment from 100 years of mining. This History blends with the modern open cut mining of the sons of Gwalia mine which the Museum overlooks. The state hotel and mine managers residence are impressive buildings against the simple timber and iron structures of Gwalia.1 000 photographs and 2 000 items record the history of mining and the people of...
Built C1852 as part of Convict Hiring Depot, later extended for use by Resident Magistrate. Taken over in 1902 by the State Health Department and included in the hospital complex until 1963. Vacant until 1969 when restored by the York Society for establishment of the museum.The development of York from 1831, including surrounding area. Reflects changes in York society and lifestyle since settlement. Large photographic collection.
The Kojonup Historical Society have been given the responsibility of two major historical buildings in Kojonup. The military barracks, built by the 51st regiment in 1845 as a military outpost, is now a museum featuring the building's past as the outpost, a school and a private residence. Elverd Cottage is a restored Pensioner Guard Cottage. One of a very few still featuring many of its original structures.The Kojonup Historical society also have a large collection of early photos, research material and over 1,000 objects ranging from household to farm machinery. A military room in the...
The local history museum collects, documents, preserves and promotes those records and artefacts relating to the cultural and natural heritage of the city of Melville.3,500 items (2000 photographs)
Russ Cottage is a typical Yeoman's residence built on the banks of the Irwin River by Titus Russ in 1868-70 from local limestone. The cottage consists of four rooms with verandahs all around, and is furnished in the style of the early farming families with gifts from local residents. The sitting room features a portable organ which arrived in the Swan Colony with the Dent family on the "Marquis of Anglesea" on the 23/8/1829, and an octagonal table once owned by the Russ family is the centrepiece. Framed photographs of pioneer family members adorn the walls.

The kitchen features a pine dresser...
The museum is located inside the original Mingenew Government school, built in 1894. We are run solely by volunteers. We have two machinery sheds housing farming machinery and implements, some in working order. Located in a small rural community. We have a small collection of aboriginal artefacts. We also have a telephone exchange switchboard.Farming machinery, photographs, curios from the late 1800's to present day. Minutes from most of Mingenews sporting and community groups. Our main focus is on Minenew and it's development.
The Museum is housed in the Old Police Station, Prison and Courthouse complex. The building was erected in 1870, with extensions being completed in 1873. The original building comprised a court room, police station, cell block and living quarters, and was built from locally-quarried limestone; the walls are some 450mm thick, constructed in the coarse random rubble style. The roof, which was originally wooden shingle, has been replaced by corrugated iron. A sample of the original shingles is displayed in the exhibition.

The Irwin District Historical Society have another museum located at Russ...
The exhibition is an extensive display of objects and images relating to the history of Coolgardie, particularly the gold mining boom of the 1890s. The exhibit extends over two floors and more than a dozen rooms and features hand-made tools and furniture from the early gold mining days such as the Coolgardie Safe, tin water bottles and seats made from kerosene tins. Other significant materials on display are clothing and memorabilia from Afghan camel herders, indigenous artefacts, a large diorama of the town in its heyday, rocks, mining equipment such as the local dryblowers and much more....
The museum displays a steam engine dating from 1950, carriages from 1899 and 1915, carts and other transport related objects in the town's original train station. The museum reflects the significant role the railway played in the development of the town and goldfields, connecting Coolgardie to Perth from 1986 until its closure in 1971. The station building was designed by George Temple Poole and constructed in local pink stone in the 1890s.A small collection relating to transport and communication, featuring a steam engine and carriages as well as horse drawn vehicles.
The J S Battye of West Australian History is part of the State Library of Western Australia. The Battye Library, as it is more commonly known, has prime responsibility for collecting and preserving published and original materials of relevance to Western Australia. It holds the most comprehensive collection of Western Australian documentary heritage materials in the world.The collections of the Battye Library include Private Archives which holds original papers documenting the concerns and activities of Western Australia's private sector; the Pictorial collection containing approximately...
We have a photographic collection of approximately 40,000 on all aspects of the Eastern Goldfields Region and a large library.Eastern Goldfields archival records, photos, negatives, donated memorabilia
The first hospital in Alice Springs is now a museum housing memorabilia of Rev. John Flynn D.D. The building is over 70 years old and well preserved with a unique cooling system. The museum has a varied collection ranging from a set of Presbyterian Moderator General's Robes to the first pedal radio built by Alfred Traeger.

Hartley Street School was opened in 1930 as a small two-roomed school. It was extended in 1940 by an additional room and verandah, and in 1945 an octagonal room and classroom were added. The National Trust occupies the most recent section, which houses the Trust office, library, shop and School Museum.Less than 100 items, estimated 6,000 photographs

The Residency at Alice Springs was constructed as the home of the Government Resident of Central Australia between 1926 and 1929. Today it houses displays on the European history of Central Australia and the events that changed its past.
Collection of old railway signs, books, photos, letters, maps100 items
We are still an operating Royal Flying Doctor Base. The museum is housed in a heritage listed building. We have an original Traeger Pedal Radio along with more old radios. There is a collection of medical equipment. Also on display are two model aircraft.medium
The museum is housed in the original terminal for the Department of Civil Aviation. It contains collections and artefacts, photographs and historical items relating to the Katherine region. The Clyde Fenton Hangar houses the Gypsy Moth aircraft and photographs and text pertaining to Dr Clyde Fenton. The Skillion Shed houses artefacts, photographs and text pertaining to the farming industry of the region.Approx. 1 500 items and 2 000 photographs.
Tuxworth-Fullwood House is the headquarters of the Tennant Creek National Trust. This property, constructed in 1942 by the Australian Military Forces as 55 Army Camp Hospital, is also a former outpatients clinic for the Tennant Creek district. Displays, including a diorama of a miners camp, focus on settlement, mining and development of the region. Outdoor displays include a police cell, C1930s, and a mine site. An extensive archive houses the Tuxworth and Fullwood collections relating to local history.
The house originally constructed as an Officer's Mess in 1942, is a classic example of bush technology utilising bush timber, corrugated iron and flywire. An outstanding feature of the property is its garden, shaded by huge mango trees. The house is of great heritage importance due to associations with the military occupation during World War II and its use by well known pioneer families. Restoration works were carried out in 1987-88. The display material highlights the involvement of pioneering families and the O'Keeffes in particular, in the post war development of Katherine.
Constructed in1886, when Borroloola was a significant riverport and drover's camp, the property was a police station for fifty years before it became a patrol officer's residence. It is the oldest surviving outpost police station in the Northern Territory.The collection represents a comprehensive history of the European Establishment in the Gulf Region. The branch is presently looking to develop the collection by highlighting the Indigenous perspective on the region.