Historic Buildings

Bluey Blundstone's Blacksmith shop was built in 1865 in Melrose, South Australia. Melrose is the oldest town in the Flinders Ranges, first settled with the discovery of copper in 1846. This is just 10 years after South Australia was proclaimed a state. For some time Melrose was the most Northerly judicial, commercial, educational, religious and postal centre, serving the huge expanse known as 'The Far North'. The substantial size, architectural style and unique double forge reflect the importance of Blueys to these local and regional activities. The entire complex has been lovingly and...
Oldest 2 story commercial premises, Built 1875. Underground Bakehouse. Old grocery Shop, Victoriana displays, music room, kitchen, bedroom. Dressmaking establishment, photo gallery, laundry/bathroom. Ironmongery room. Currently establishing large display of items from horse drawn era, in custom built shed, everything is represented of local history, books, histories, photo's and artefacts, outside display of farming equipment, tractors, wagons ect.Local archives and photos, farming machinery from the past, furniture, china, glass, musical instruments, household items each area has a...
Purpose built local government archival facility complete with environmentally controlled repositories, public search room and conservation laboratory.The archives contain 5,000 records. In the Civic Ccollection there are 3,000 items including 400 artworks. The Oral History Collection has 110 taped interviews and transcripts.
Mount Lofty Districts Historical Society Inc. holds an archival collection of the Mt Lofty districts of Crafers, Stirling, Aldgate, Bridgewater, Longwood and adjacent areas.The collection is comprised of papers, maps, books, photos plus audio and video tapes dating from the 1840s to the present.
The collection has written and historical materials of significance to the Clare regionThe collection is comprised of written, photographic and microform material
Highfield is historically significant for its association with the Van Diemen's Land Company, which was responsible for the settlement of Northwest Tasmania. Highfield was the original headquarters of the Company's operations. The buildings surviving there today were built between 1828 and the early 1840s. At present some of the buildings are being restored. The house is open for inspection and visitors can inspect the restoration works on site during daylight hours.
The museum is located in the repaired ruins of large ornate brick engine houses, built in 1905 for the Beaconsfield "Tasmania" gold mine. This 950sqm space is augmented by a 540sqm new building, outside space and a near-by park depicting the flowery gully school and a miner's cottage. A viewing platform overlooks the surface operational area of the Beaconsfield Mine Joint Venture. Average viewing time for the museum is 1 hour.2,000 items. Relics of Tasmania's largest gold mine 1878-1914, which produced 26 tonnes of gold. Adjacent to a large new mine about to produce gold from the old reef in...
Main Street Burnie as it was in 1900 at the height of the towns first Economic boom is regarded in this bustling street and include an INN, Dentist's Surgery, A Home, Carpenters, Printery, General Store and Saddlery. Authentic 19th Century materials, colours and Architectural styles have been used in the reconstruction.The collection was established in 1942 and consists of photographs, charts, clothing, tools, personal effects and furnishings.
The most infamous convict station in Van Diemen's Land was built on this small rainforest island and operated from 1822 to 1833 and then again in 1846 and 1847 as a probation station. Many of the ruins can still be seen and restoration and stabilisation work has been carried out there in recent years.15 interpretive signs, 6 major ruins

Built by Thomas White in 1841, White House displays a fine collection of 17th and 18th century oak furniture, china, icons, paintings, prints, pewter and copper. The outbuildings house early bicycles, horse drawn vehicles, vintage cars and a special display of toys and miniature furnishings. Refreshments are available from a restored bakery with a wood fired oven.Approximately 250 items in the house, plus 20 vehicles, 15 bicycles and a large toy collection in outbuildings. The variety of collections on display at White House provide something of interest to most people including children. The...

Located in the town of Franklin Village, the original house museum was opened by the National Trust in 1961. Built in 1838, Franklin House is a charming Georgian residence and a good example of the period, with authentic furnishings and pictures. It includes a schoolroom which functioned from 1842 to the 1880s. An outstanding feature of the interior is the NSW cedar hardwood. It is now the State Headquarters of the National Trust in Tasmania.
The Hamilton Heritage Centre is a small, local interest museum consisting of photographs and artefacts of the area. It is located in the Old Warder's Cottage, which was part of the convict probation station at Hamilton. It consists of a two-roomed cottage with displays, church records, farm and household items and photocopy facilities.Photographs 1870's to 1950's showing rural life and vista of Hamilton. Church records for St Peter's Anglican Church and Cemetery. Records for all churches in upper Derwent Valley. Farm implements and household articles.
The Grove is a privately owned house museum. It is a Georgian stone residence, set up as a working home with tearooms and reception. It is George Town's most imposing early building which is believed to have been built circa 1830. It contains an interesting collection of furniture and antiques.300 major items plus many minor items
A photographic museum commemorating the life and work of prominent Hobart photographer John Watt Beattie. It contains black and white photographs of Tasmania between 1890 and 1930.3,000 photographs and corresponding negatives
Port Arthur Historic Site is the pre-eminent symbol and most outstanding example of Australia's convict system.

Port Arthur exerted great cultural influence within Tasmania and throughout Australia as the focal point of a large-scale penal and industrial enterprise which encompassed the entire Tasman Peninsula and Southern Tasmania.

In its peak Port Arthur was the second largest penal system settlement in Australia and was often referred to as 'hell on earth'.

Today, PAHS encompasses over 40 hectares and features more than 30 restored buildings, ruins and period furnished homes from the convict...
The Museum was established in a former lighthouse keeper's cottage in 1980. All aspects of the Island's history are represented in the displays of the King Island Museum. Relics from the large number of shipwrecks around the coastline of the Island are also featured.estimated 2,000 objects and 1,500 photographs
Runnymede an 1840's sandstone Regency villa surrounded by elegant lawns and gardens, focuses on aspects of Southern Tasmania's history. Today, as a house museum, it makes a strong statement about domestic life in the colony in the 1860's. It depicts the home environment of successful business and professional people, rather than that of the very rich. Through the three families who lived there over 120 years, Runnymede has close links with widely separate aspects of the colony's history. First, Scottish-born lawyer Robert Pitcairn, who played a part in the demise of convict transportation,...
The Centre houses a sheep and wool exhibition which traces the evolution of the industry and includes a touch and feel display of different types and microns of wool. It also contains a History Museum, which highlights the development of Ross and the region over the past 180 years. Special features of the collection include replica icons of the Ross convict built bridge (circa 1836), beautifully hand carved by convict stonemason Daniel Herbert; and an Australian merino wool tapestry depicting the tree of life, by James Coburn.
The Museum contains may culinary domestic items as well as some antique machinery and office equipment. Medals, coins, clothing, bottles and approximately 1,000 historic photos are displayed at two monthly intervals, as the area only allows for a small percentage to be displayed at one time.250 items; 1,000 photos
Narryna is a beautiful Georgian sandstone and brick house with a walled and flagstoned courtyard and a coach-house. It is set in a lovely old world garden shaded by huge elm trees. The building was designed by Edward Winch and built for a merchant, a retired sea captain, Captain Andrew Haig, in 1836.Approx. 5,000 items plus 124 photos (electronic) Narryna has a most enthralling and significant collection of 19th Century furniture, china, glass, silver paintings, children's toys and domestic equipment. Of special interest is it's large costume and embroidery collection, including examples of...