Local History

Onslow Museum is housed in The Old Goods Shed which was transported over by Camel Train from the Old Town of Onslow in 1925. As it is an Historical Building it has been classified by the National Trust. Many larger items, such as the train and carriage used in transport of goods from the jetty, are on The wool ramps adjacent to the building.Artifacts relating to the pioneering days of the Onslow and surrounding Ashburton/ Pilbara district, plus a collection of photographs.
WA’s largest regional museum, the new Western Australian Museum Geraldton showcases the Mid West region with original displays that intrigue, inform and inspire.
Located on the waterfront on the magnificent Batavia Coast Marina, the building itself symbolises the meeting of the land and the sea, a theme that is present throughout the Museum.
Three permanent galleries are housed within the Museum - the Mid West Gallery, Shipwreck Gallery and Aboriginal Gallery as well as a travelling exhibition hall and theatrette screening re-enactments of the famous Batavia mutiny.
Stepping into the Shipwreck...
The Museum is housed in the Old Police Station, Prison and Courthouse complex. The building was erected in 1870, with extensions being completed in 1873. The original building comprised a court room, police station, cell block and living quarters, and was built from locally-quarried limestone; the walls are some 450mm thick, constructed in the coarse random rubble style. The roof, which was originally wooden shingle, has been replaced by corrugated iron. A sample of the original shingles is displayed in the exhibition.

The Irwin District Historical Society have another museum located at Russ...
The exhibition is an extensive display of objects and images relating to the history of Coolgardie, particularly the gold mining boom of the 1890s. The exhibit extends over two floors and more than a dozen rooms and features hand-made tools and furniture from the early gold mining days such as the Coolgardie Safe, tin water bottles and seats made from kerosene tins. Other significant materials on display are clothing and memorabilia from Afghan camel herders, indigenous artefacts, a large diorama of the town in its heyday, rocks, mining equipment such as the local dryblowers and much more....
Cockman House is the oldest surviving residence in the Wanneroo district, having been built by James Cockman in 1860. Having arrived in the Swan River Colony during its first year of European settlement, he settled with his wife Mary-Ann, and their seven children in Wanneroo in the early 1850s. This limestone walled five-room house, situated in a rural setting on the edge of Yellagonga regional Park, is furnished with items formerly owned by the Cockman family.

Family members owned and occupied the house until 1988 when it was purchased by the City of Wanneroo. The house was constructed...
The J S Battye of West Australian History is part of the State Library of Western Australia. The Battye Library, as it is more commonly known, has prime responsibility for collecting and preserving published and original materials of relevance to Western Australia. It holds the most comprehensive collection of Western Australian documentary heritage materials in the world.The collections of the Battye Library include Private Archives which holds original papers documenting the concerns and activities of Western Australia's private sector; the Pictorial collection containing approximately...
The building is the first permanent Courthouse in the Eastern Goldfields. It is part of the block of government buildings which is comprised of the Courthouse, Mining Registrar Offices and residences, Post Office and Residences. Construction commenced in 1892. The foundations are of local stone cemented together with mud. The walls are of locally made mud bricks.
The primary purpose of the Brookton Old Police Station Museum is to provide a place to preserve and care for the District's history while enabling the local community and visitors to the district to learn of/from the past. The Brookton and District Historical Society manages the Museum and Archives.The collection focuses on items of local significance. There are approximately 1000 museum objects and up to 2000 archival records and photographs. The strength of the collection is the extensive local archival records of places, people and events, much of it supported by photographs. The...
We have a photographic collection of approximately 40,000 on all aspects of the Eastern Goldfields Region and a large library.Eastern Goldfields archival records, photos, negatives, donated memorabilia
The museum's major exhibit is a B-52 bomber. Other exhibits include the wreckage of the first Zero shot down over Australian soil, Mirage and Sabre jets, B-52 Mitchell, Wessex helicopter, Spitfire replica and a number of civil aircraft and ultralights. There are displays of aircraft engines, armament, photos and memorabilia depicting the history of aviation in the Northern Territory from the early record breaking flights through to the jet age. This is all housed in a single hangar approximately sixty metres by sixty metres by fifteen metres high at its apex.20,000 items plus 50,000...
Located in the grounds of the Old Timers Village the Museum is half way between Alice Springs CBD and the airport. Old Timers began in the early 1950's as part of Rev Dr John Flynn's dream of, "a mantle of safety" for people of the inland, a place where they could retire in comfort and receive medical attention. Today it consists of nursing home, hostel, independent living units, day therapy centre and Museum.

It was the dream of another man in the 1960's that saw the Museum created. Then manager of Old Timers, John Blakeman, concerned that the history of Central Australia was disappearing...

Hartley Street School was opened in 1930 as a small two-roomed school. It was extended in 1940 by an additional room and verandah, and in 1945 an octagonal room and classroom were added. The National Trust occupies the most recent section, which houses the Trust office, library, shop and School Museum.Less than 100 items, estimated 6,000 photographs

A site of the Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory (MAGNT), this exhibition offers a range of displays about the search for pearls in Northern Australia from the historic hard-hat days to modern day pearl farming.Exhibits comprise loans and MAGNT collection material.
The Residency at Alice Springs was constructed as the home of the Government Resident of Central Australia between 1926 and 1929. Today it houses displays on the European history of Central Australia and the events that changed its past.
Collection of old railway signs, books, photos, letters, maps100 items
Located on the Esplanade overlooking the harbour, Lyons Cottage is the only example of colonial bungalow style architecture to be found in Darwin. The building is constructed of locally quarried porcellanite stone and in its time was the first stone residence constructed in Darwin. Featuring shuttered windows and high ceilings, the design of the cottage echoes the distinctive architectural style of British colonial dwellings in India, Malaysia and Singapore.
Housed in a historic 110yr old building, this museum contains photographs of development in the Northern Territory, Chinese relics, minerals, war years, communications, mining and social history. The museum also holds the only photographic collection of the Pine Creek area.Items have been donated to the Pine Creek National Trust Museum by many people in the area. The museum displays many items relating to early settlement, an extensive bottle and mineral collection, war relics, Chinese household goods, photographs and text.
The museum is housed in the original terminal for the Department of Civil Aviation. It contains collections and artefacts, photographs and historical items relating to the Katherine region. The Clyde Fenton Hangar houses the Gypsy Moth aircraft and photographs and text pertaining to Dr Clyde Fenton. The Skillion Shed houses artefacts, photographs and text pertaining to the farming industry of the region.Approx. 1 500 items and 2 000 photographs.
One of the oldest surviving structures in the town of Newcastle Waters is Jones Store. The store sold provisions to droving plants that moved cattle over Murranji, Barkly and North-South stock routes, the junction of these being Newcastle Waters. The store also saw use as a butchery, bakery and a saddlery shop. Many other buildings of significance in the town include the Junction Hotel in which memorabilia of the hotel and the town's droving past is displayed.
In 1879 Alfred Giles, who was overlanding for Springvale near Katherine, carried out the first sinking endeavours at Bonney Well. The Telegraph Department completed the work in 1884. Further alterations occurred in 1892, with the well being abandoned in 1936. Bonney Well is one of the last remaining original water improvements on the Overland Telegraph Line and stock route.