Our museum of memorabilia about "Andre Stombuco" is most significant because he built Palma Rosa, the headquarters of the English Speaking Union in Queensland. Stombuco built an enormous amount of significant buildings in Australia over 100 years ago. Palma Rosa has a collection of his works. Stombuco built the Queensland Club, Her Majesty's Theatre, All Hallows School Nudgee College, Gregory Terrace and a host of significant buildings which should be preserved for the future.collection of paintings and memorabilia
The society's research centre is staffed by volunteers. Our activities include a monthly guest speaker and newsletter, regular radio interviews and personnel available for guided tours. We encourage the study, preservation and exhibition of historical records. Regular displays with a topical them are featured.Queensland post office directories (fishe), marriages, deaths, obituaries from local newspapers (fishe), files containing details on significant houses, personalities and intuitions of Toowoomba and the local area.
Claremont is an early stone villa built by John Panton, an Ipswich merchant, in 1858. In the early 1870's it was the home of George Throne, parliamentarian, and a centre for social life.This house is under restoration and is partially decorated with furnishings dating from the 1870's.
The historic houses complex displays on one site three typical North Queensland houses. These are a simple miner's cottage c.1884, a comfortable villa residence c.1888 and a farmhouse c.1921. The houses are furnished in styles appropriate to each house with an emphasis on items made in North Queensland.Each houses is furnished in styles appropriate to it and with an emphasis on items made in North Queensland.
The Cooktown Powder Magazine was built in 1873-76 to store gunpowder destined for use on the Palmer goldfields. It stands at the far end of what was once the busy port of Cooktown well away from habitation. It has been in a ruinous state for many years but is now protected by a new roof and cyclone bracing.
The Tent House is a timber framed house with a canvas roof under a free standing galvanised iron roof. This unusual environmental adaptation was once common in Mount Isa as 1930’s mining company housing.The Tent House contains furnishings and objects of historical interest from Mount Isa.
Since their arrival in Brisbane on 10th May 1861, the Sisters of Mercy Brisbane Congregation have established a variety of significant health, education, and social welfare programs throughout the state - from Townsville in the north, to Roma in the west, and south to Stanthorpe on the border - and missions in Papua New Guinea and other overseas locations.

The Mercy Heritage Centre is dedicated to preserving the work of the Mercy Sisters, and their well-provenanced history, and maintains collections of relevant artefacts. We also serve as a contact for the Congregational Archives, Mater...
Eight separate buildings: The historic pioneer house, the one teacher school, the blacksmith shop, the Government Shed are equipped. Sheds house the farm machinery, stationary engines and fir engine, while a separate museum centre contains a library, photographic and interpretive displays, taped histories and various documents relating to social history. All in bushland setting.Kimba's local history museum includes pioneer domestic and farming items, stationary engines, harness vehicles and equipment, vintage trucks and tractors, a water conservation model, schooling and communication...
The museum was established under the auspices of the Australia Remembers 1945-1995 Program. The inaugural display is in sympathy with this Program and commemorates the gallantry in World War II of seven South Australians: a nursing sister and two representatives from each of the armed services. Large maps indicate where their respective awards were earned, complemented by the individual citations and short biographies of the recipients, and augmented by displays of pertinent militaria. Housed in historic, 1850s building where Army and Police Force were originally raised in South Australia....
Urrbrae House was built in 1890 for Mr Peter Waite by the Adelaide architect Charles Howard Marriott. It was the first house in Adelaide to have red roof tiles, and electric lighting, and it also had an extensive refrigeration plant. The house and grounds are available for public inspection. A museum which outlines the history of the Waite Institute is also being developed nearby.150,000 items including artefacts, photographs and archives
Adelaide Gaol was decommissioned in February 1988. Visitors are taken on a conducted tour during which they see conditions for prisoners, the places of execution and exhibitions of artefacts relating to prisons and prison life in South Australia during 147 years.2,000 items, plus buildings.
The Museum is located in a former bakehouse comprising grocer's shop, dining room, kitchen, upstairs bedroom and parlour, wash house, underground bakery, implement sheds and portrait gallery. The bakehouse is a special feature and is historically very important.Approximately 800 items plus large quantity of photographs
Mary Mackillop, a woman ahead of her time - her work & motivation. Early education in Australia Father JT Woods - Priest. Scientist - His interesting and significant scientific work in the region. The Schoolhouse - Historic building of 1867. The Interactive centre was built in 1998 - Interesting Architectural design.Mainly text panels with supporting artefacts and early history of Penola and the region of South Australia.
The lighthouse stood for 100 years offshore on a reef, 5 miles at sea. When it became obsolete it was dismantled and brought ashore and re-erected in Kingston. The lighthouse is furnished with some of the original furniture and contains all the lantern room equipment. Although not used as a lighthouse , it is still in working order.The height of the lighthouse is 134 feet and one of the few lighthouses with living quarters as part of the structure. Some original furnishings remain in the lighthouse
Old Government House is situated in Belair National Park, South Australia's oldest National Park, 12 kms from Adelaide C.B.D. Its building - a main building and detached kitchen with servants accommodation - date from the 1850s and were built for the first vice-regal summer retreat in South Australia. Full restoration took place in the 1970s as a fully furnished Victorian gentleman's country retreat; turreted colonial - Georgian in style, surrounded by extensive tiled terracing. Each room reflects its original function - wide entrance hall, manly study, gracious dining room with drawing area...
The Town is on a 20 acre site which houses ninety buildings laid out in an old town setting. It includes eleven streets, a railway line with fourteen carriages and a station. The shops, houses and public building are furnished from 1880 to 1950. Visitors feel they have stepped into the past from the present day.
The home was built for William Moyle, a Cornwall engineer who operated the adjacent cordial factory and public baths. It is made of local stone with ironwork and illustrates turn of the century well-to-do living. The house is heritage listed and displays a wide range of collections, including period costumes, stained glass, furniture, household appliances, and a doll display. A brochure is available which provides fuller details.Thousands of artefacts including 1,000 pair of salt and pepper shakers, 2,500 dolls, 600 teddy bears
The Burra Mine was the largest metal mine in Australia, with typically Cornish surface and underground operations. The mine was worked for copper from 1845 to 1877. Between 1971 and 1981 the mine was reworked by open cutting. The Open Air Museum contains extensive remains of the mining operation. Also on the site is the Engine-house Museum, the only reconstructed Cornish Engine-house in the world. Admission to the Engine-house Museum is by separate fee. (See separate AMOL directory entry).50 different books and souvenirs for sale
The enginehouse has been fully restored (1986), apart from the original engine. A scale model (1:16) is fully operational and explained by guides. Videos (x3) provide further relevant information as do information boards on all three floors. Walks outside include; via a restored adit into the retimbered shaft, access to Morphett's Windinghouse, pool, mine offices and cottages, Grave's enginehouse and view of open-cut mine.Model and information boards mentioned above. Scale model of jinker. Mining artefacts, including cabinets inside of more sensitive material (e.g. 1820's pocket bible)....
Oldest 2 story commercial premises, Built 1875. Underground Bakehouse. Old grocery Shop, Victoriana displays, music room, kitchen, bedroom. Dressmaking establishment, photo gallery, laundry/bathroom. Ironmongery room. Currently establishing large display of items from horse drawn era, in custom built shed, everything is represented of local history, books, histories, photo's and artefacts, outside display of farming equipment, tractors, wagons ect.Local archives and photos, farming machinery from the past, furniture, china, glass, musical instruments, household items each area has a...