Domestic Items

More than 3000 Australian and international items relating to fire have been collected and are housed in the original headquarters of the Metropolitan Fire Brigade. The Queen Anne style building was completed in 1893.3000 items
This research centre houses photographs, newspapers and mixed memorabilia depicting Portland's social history, and resources for tracing Family History. The building is an 1863 construction of bluestone with slate roof.Photographs, portraits, Portland publications , household goods, tools, cemetery indices, clothing, Henty Plough.
The museum is housed in a stylish colonial building originally designed as the administrative headquarters of the Borough of Sale. It houses a relatively large and diverse collection. Local government paper-based records and original council furniture are especially outstanding. It has a sizeable collection of portraits of local pioneers by Alfred Bock, and a significant collection of photographs of early Sale, military objects, textiles and household devices. It is developing a collection relating to Mary Grant Bruce.8000 objects plus 2000 photographs
Ellis Cottage, erected 1865, is made of local uncut stone. The cottage is a typical farmers residence of the 1870's. The stone construction is unique in this district as most construction is weatherboard.2 000 Historic photographs, and artefacts.
This outdoor museum presents the technical, social, economic and ecological history of the timber industry in the Rubicon Forest from the period 1900-1950. This is done through a working Timber Tramway, a display of logging technology, models of sawmill and associated settlement buildings, photographic displays and a proposed working steam sawmill.Four display rooms, 5 hectare outdoor display. 7 locomotives, 1 steam traction engine, 2 portable steam engines, 1 vertical boiler and pumps, one kilometre 610mm rail track, plus numerous other working engines.
Displayed at the Colac Historical Centre, the collection of eighty four historic bottles from Colac and its districts is on permanent loan to the City of Colac.84 Bottles
Australia's first outdoor museum, Pioneer Settlement Museum portrays life in the Murray-Mallee in the era 1830-1930, including pre-contact between aborigines and settlers. There is an excellent schools education program, riverboat cruises on the Murray River, Australia's first sound and light show, regular street theatre and staffed shops. The museum covers 7 acres, with areas showing town and rural life of the settlement period, and aboriginal display areas. Included in the entry price are rides in horsedrawn vehicles and vintage cars. A working blacksmith fashions artifacts, the printer...
Main collections include: Goldmining and life on the goldfields, R.E. Johns Aboriginal Collection, Beechworth Chinese Community Collection, Local Families, Identities Collection, Natural History and Development, Archives, Ned Kelly.In 1863 the Burke Museum was added to the Beechworth Public Library and Athenaeum (est 1856) in honour of Robert O'Hara Burke, the explorer of Burke and Wills fame. Today the Burke Museum presents cultural and natural heritage material, which contributes to the understanding and appreciation of the customs, activities, historic episodes, the natural environment and...
Melbourne's Immigration Museum presents the stories of people from all over the world who re-settled in Australia seeking a better life, job opportunities or to escape conflict in their homeland. These stories are brought to life through contemporary displays of memorabilia, moving images and computer interactives.The Immigration Museum displays a range of social history artefacts from Museum Victoria's extensive collection.
The first fully accredited (map) private museum in Australia.Over 700 domestic pottery pieces from Australia, representing over 80 companies throughout Australia from the 19th century are on display.
The museum is operated by the Wangaratta Historical Society Inc. and is housed in the former Wangaratta Fire Station. The lower floor is divided into two display rooms and a research room, upstairs a storage area. Approximately 160 square metres of floor space. In addition there are a number of items on display in the cellar of the Vine Hotel at north Wangaratta.Smaller items of historical significance; household, commercial, industrial, agricultural military etc, from the Wangaratta District (we do not have space for large items such as farm vehicles). 10,000 photographs from the local area...
The original four roomed building, c.1888, from which the irrigation scheme for the Western Goulburn Valley was developed, was purchased and restored in 1988. This building now houses local history and information on the history of irrigation. Two brick extensions, totalling 200 sq. metres have since been added to house the Wartime Camps collection, included is a foyer, shop and lecture room come art gallery complete with video viewing facilities.Photographs, art and craft work, records, recollections and other archival material recovered from the former prisoners and internees from the seven...
The Australian Racing Museum is dedicated to the preservation, study and display of the nation's racing heritage. Established in 1974, under the patronage of HRH Queen Elizabeth II, the museum celebrates the past, present and future of racing. It is the only museum devoted to horse racing in Australia.The museum's collection illustrates the diverse history of racing through a collection of artwork, trophies, colours, photographs, memorabilia, riding gear, equipment and ephemera. The collection is continually growing with an active program of acquisitions, donations and loans.
The three houses at Coventry Street are among the few 19th Century prefabricated iron buildings remaining in the world. Students of building, architecture, industrial archaeology as well as social history will find them of interest.
An audio visual tour provides a comrehensive account of these buildings in the history of white settlement in Australia and during the Gold Rush years in Victoria particularly.
Built in 1869 for Thomas and Elizabeth Austin by the Geelong architects Davidson and Henderson, Barwon Park is a majestic 42-room bluestone mansion and stables at Winchelsea.The interiors of the house remain largely in original condition. The fine plaster decoration in the elegantly proportioned principal rooms is noteworthy. The grand staircase is also a striking feature which resonates with the glory of Victoria's pastoral heritage.
The Mooramong Homestead, built in the early 1870s, was extensively altered in 1937 to conform to contemporary American tastes. It reflects the elegant lifestyle of D.J.S. (Scobie) Mackinnon and his wife, the Hollywood silent screen star Clare Adams, and remains furnished as lived in by the Mackinnons.Surrounded by hundreds of acres of operating farmland, the National Trust has established a flora and fauna reserve according to the wishes of the previous owners. It is home to a significant population of the endangered species Eastern Barred Bandicoot and a wide variety of native birdlife.
Very different from modern retailing and pharmacy is Dow's Pharmacy in Chiltern. The extent to which retailing and the science of pharmacy and medicine have changed is well highlighted at Dow's Pharmacy. Built in 1859, the pharmacy remained open until 1968 and was operated by Hilda and Roy Dow
from 1929.You will find many original shop fittings, records and
pharmaceutical equipment.
Como is one of few surviving large suburbab estates, dating from 1847, just over 10 years after European settlement of the Port Phillip district. For 95 years it was owned by the Armytage family, prominent graziers and well known members of Melbourne society. Much of their original furniture is in the house today. The house is surrounded by 6.5 acres of beautiful gardens.Approximtely 1500 pieces of furniture and decorative arts objects, mostly original to the Armytage family's period of ownership. (1864 - 1959)
Voluntary organisation - collects artefacts, documents, photographs of historical significance relating to Phillip Island and District to preserve our heritage. We maintain and staff a museum open to the public. The society meets on 1st Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm. We have a guest speaker at each meeting and visitors are welcome.The Society's collection consists of local community archival records, many historical photographs. Objects relating to the early settlers.
The Nillumbik Historical Society's aim is to collect and preserve historical documents, articles and historic sites. The society's headquarters is a stone farmers cottage erected in 1865, which it operates as a museum and storage centre. The Society's collection includes some 1800 historic photos, in most cases accompanied with a slide and a negative, biographies of 90 local families and institutions, and artefacts and memorabilia.
A tem of speakers visit schools and local interest groups. Displays of historic photographs are mounted as requested. Because Diamond Creek was a gold mining town,...