Historic Display

The Museum is housed in an original river boat "Captain's Cottage" and details the history of Murray Bridge, the importance of the Murray River in the growth of the township and surrounding areas. It also outlines the process of swamp reclamation and the consequent dairy industry which has been a major part of the local industry. Model river boats and cottages are also on display.Approximately 5,500 items, 250 photographs
The Museum is set in one of the State's pioneering outback stations, and presents displays of folk and local history. Exhibits include horse drawn vehicles, original harness room with harness; general store pre 1900, teachers quarters, blacksmiths shop, coach house lookout, drying yard 1860, and inspection of fossil cliffs by arrangement.
We are situated on the main street in the Old Telegraph station c.1860. Focusing the history of the building and towns history. McKinlays artefacts (explorer)Small archival records, small collection of photographs, telegraphic memorabilia, household items. Gawler's early industrial era. General items of the towns businesses.
The Museum is located in a former bakehouse comprising grocer's shop, dining room, kitchen, upstairs bedroom and parlour, wash house, underground bakery, implement sheds and portrait gallery. The bakehouse is a special feature and is historically very important.Approximately 800 items plus large quantity of photographs
Mary Mackillop, a woman ahead of her time - her work & motivation. Early education in Australia Father JT Woods - Priest. Scientist - His interesting and significant scientific work in the region. The Schoolhouse - Historic building of 1867. The Interactive centre was built in 1998 - Interesting Architectural design.Mainly text panels with supporting artefacts and early history of Penola and the region of South Australia.
Five buildings house a collection of old machinery, some of which have been restored.
The local history collection provides videos, books, photographs and ephemeral material on the former city of Happy Valley and the Aberfoyle Park High School.
The City of Adelaide Civic collection has 2,500 items given to or acquired by Council since 1853 as part of the Council's civic role of entertaining distinguished visitors or because the items are considered to be of historical and general significance to the life, history, traditions and role of the Council and the City. Many items form a living museum in Civic Rooms of the Town Hall built in 1866.2,500 items
The heritage listed Railway Station building serves as a centre for information on historical aspects of the area. Current publications are on sale, also displays of photographs, maps, charts etc and small items of memorabilia dealing solely with Port Elliot. Tickets are sold for "Steamranger" trips, Port Elliot to Goolwa being the first railway line in Australia. Souvenirs, Devonshire teas and drinks available. Guided walking tours and do-it-yourself brochures.250 photos and postcards, 50 posters, 120 other items
This 1860s Police Station and Courthouse complex are fine examples of colonial stonemasons' workmanship. The stonework consist of fieldstones (office), bluestone (courthouse), limestone and shingled stables, complete with blinden for windows. The cells have keyed in stonework roofs. Quoins and dressings are of sandstone. The collection consists of memorabilia of former Police Station use; C.J. Dennis ("The Sentimental Bloke" poet); and J. Mellor, stonemason; as well as historic photographs and general archival material.
This cereal grain collection includes mainly Australian varieties but also some from other parts of the world.
This display consists of a collection of tractors, engines and steam engines from 1916; veteran, vintage and classic cars and trucks; a 1942 General Grant tank; various aircraft engines; and household memorabilia from the turn of the century. It is housed in a large shed on a farm property off the Barrier Highway, approximately halfway between Adelaide and Broken Hill.70 tractors, 20 stationary engines and 10 veteran and vintage cars
The museum is part of the Smith Plough Factory and was the power house that drove the engineering machinery. The collection contains various types of farm machinery that was manufactured here along with the Stump Jump Ploughs for which the factory was famous. Part of the extensive collection of original machine plans are on displayas well as photos of machines, share certificates, Clarence H. Smith's apprenticeship indenture, and items associated with the factory and other memorabilia. A room has been set aside to house relics from the Barque 'Lanoni' which sank off Ardrossan in 1867 with a...
Electric vehicles provided the main public transport in Adelaide in the five decades from 1909. The Museum has 19 preserved electric trams, which it operates, and also 4 trolley buses, a horse car and a 1950s diesel bus. Street furniture, technical equipment, photographs and memorabilia are featured in the interpretive Display Gallery. Admission includes unlimited rides on the trams operating each open day. The trams run on a 2 kilometre track from the museum to the beach.25 vehicles
A local and social history museum depicting the heritage of Wallaroo. Main themes: copper mining and smelting period (1861-1923) History of the port of Wallaroo since 1861. General local history - sport, entertainment, industry, civic affairs and religion. Located in the first post office building 1865-1910. Has been Museum building since 1975.Over 3,000 exhibits depict the Industrial, Mining, Smelting, Maritime and Social History of the port of Wallaroo. The Museum is also home to the former Tipara Reef Lighthouse (1877-1996) Re-located to the Museum in 2001.
The Hahndorf Academy houses both a German migration museum and an art gallery. The gallery content os wholly South Australian with frequent exhibitions. The academy also has artist's studios with painters, jeweller, leadlight, paper and leather crafts people.The museum contains descriptions and artefacts from the migration of the first Germans in South Australia in 1839. Shipping logs, musical instruments, school items, farming equipment, dresses etc. Also a collection of orginal charcoal drawings from the fammous artist, Sir Hans Heysen, who lived in Hahndorf.
The Museum is housed in Clare's first public building (1851) for Police Barracks and Courthouse. Holds collections of clothing, artefacts, local early records and photographs (copies can be ordered), wagons and farm implements. Clare is one of Australia's important wine producing area with 38 wineries in the area, approx 136km from Adelaide by road.Approx. 2000 photographs pf pioneers - pioneer clothing and domestic farming artefacts.
The Streaky Bay Museum is housed in the old school. It includes the family history of the Campbell family (1864), the Kelsh family (1860) Kelsh pioneer pug and pine cottage, the Freeman family (1856) and Mudge family 1855, as well as machinery dating back to the 1880s.A large collection of great variey. Furniture, household items, farm machinery, historic buildings, horse drawn vehicles, vintage cars and medical artefacts and instruments.. The collection is a source of local history of people and their way of life through the years.
Built in 1863, from local limestone, this 36 stand woolshed has hand adzed, cathedral like blackwood beams and pit sawn supporting posts. Only blade shearing was used in this shed as it was never converted to mechanised shearing.
Our Museum covers an undercover area of 2,500 sq metres. It contains an extensive collection of tractors, stationary engines, steam engines plus collections of bottles, tractor seats, magnetos and other early farm memorabilia. Each year we hold a Rally on the last Sunday in March (or the first Sunday in April - to avoid the Easter weekend) when the machines are started and displayed outside.Our collection contains steam engines, vintage and veteran tractors, stationary engines and historic farming equipment.