Historic Display

The Museum is in the main Cathedral building which houses many items of interest. It is self contained within the Cloisters of the Cathedral. In static and changing displays, the Museum exhibits material relating to the Anglican Church in Tasmania from 1804 to the present.
Pearn's Steam Museum is a volunteer group dedicated to the restoration and preservation of early agricultural heritage.The collection includes Foden, Birdsall, Fowler, Buffalo Pitts, Avelinga, Porter and Eclipse steam traction engines. Railway memorabilia, stationary engines, associated farm and household tools, implements, tractors, fairground organ, miniature train travel on a 500m loop of the complex.
A photographic museum commemorating the life and work of prominent Hobart photographer John Watt Beattie. It contains black and white photographs of Tasmania between 1890 and 1930.3,000 photographs and corresponding negatives
Alpenrail is a display of about 200 square metres, featuring the the scenery of the Bernese Alps. Alpine villages, rivers, lakes among the forests, the railways and culture, are all presented with a background of lively Swiss music. Most of the locomotives, bridges and buildings are hand made by the owners. The Village is suitable for all ages. It is under cover and hands-on displays are available.Small number of old toy trains.
In this local history interpretation centre, an excellent collection of early photographs of the region are displayed with relevant objects, including wooden interactive models relating to mining. Fifteen historical monographs have been published and are for sale. The genealogy of Fingal, Portland and Ringarooma are stored on a database.20,000 negatives and prints, 1,500 objects and books, 200 genealogies in hard copy
The Morris Store provides a display of items associated with history of the shop, which was built in 1868. It remains operating in its original purpose, a general store.Account books - photographs - historical items associated with history of the business.
The Centre houses a sheep and wool exhibition which traces the evolution of the industry and includes a touch and feel display of different types and microns of wool. It also contains a History Museum, which highlights the development of Ross and the region over the past 180 years. Special features of the collection include replica icons of the Ross convict built bridge (circa 1836), beautifully hand carved by convict stonemason Daniel Herbert; and an Australian merino wool tapestry depicting the tree of life, by James Coburn.
The museum is presently housed in the attic rooms of AMA House, a Georgian building erected in early 1850s. The collection reflects medical practice in Tasmanian from the late 1800s to the present, and complements other medical collections in Tasmania. The museum organises small displays at AMA house and at conferences and works with staff at the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery on their medical history displays. The museum hold occasional seminars and publishes 'The Archive', a newsletter previously published by the historical committee of Launceston General Hospital.The collection includes...
Collection of 100yrs of carnival programs, photos of competitors over 100yrs, working bee's, committees, carnivals etc, videos of races etc, bicycles used by wheelrace winners (1902 etc), club and carnival history from 1896.Bicycles and archival material.
The National Trust properties are an integral part of Tasmania's unique heritage. They are maintained by the National Trust for your inspection and enjoyment. Take the time to visit these Properties and experience Tasmania's historic past first hand. See separate Guide entries for each property: Battery Point Walks, Clarendon, Entally House, Franklin House, Home Hill, Old Umbrella Shop, Penitentiary Chapel and Criminal Courts, Runnymede House, White House.House museums of the 1800's furnished in the period colonial and English furniture.
Located in old harbour master's residence near mouth of Mersey River in Parklands. Entirely volunteer based and operated, extensive research libraries, maritime and local history. Photographic index of several thousand photographsMagnificent ships models ranging from early sail vessels to Bass Strait passenger ferries and modern fishing vessel. Displays featuring potato industry, diving, shipbuilding, lighthouses, port development, whaling, naval models, uniforms and memorabilia, local history and photographic collection, shipping photographic collection, local history collections. Stained...
The museum is a feature attraction of the small township of Bothwell, Tasmania, also home to the oldest golf course in the Southern Hemisphere. Founded in 1996 by former Australian champion golfer, Peter Toogood, the museum is housed in a sandstone heritage building, formerly the State Primary School. It displays items of national and international significance. Prominent Australians who have given their support and donations to the museum include Greg Norman, Peter Thomson, Lindy Goggin, Norman Von Nida, the Toogood and Nettlefold families and Ian Baker-Finch, who donated his 1991 British...
History and story of whisky making in Tasmania as part of a working distilleryInformative display - active distillery, distilling single malt whisky 7 days a week. Museum contains an original colonial still from midwoods distillery circa 1830
The Mercury Print Museum is an interpretation centre with a particular focus on education. The museum has been established in one of Tasmania's oldest buildings, reflecting the early days of Hobart as well as the early days of printing in Tasmania. Displays are contained in three separate rooms, occupying the whole ground floor of the building, and providing easy wheelchair access to and throughout the museum.Included is a collection of historic print and early Australian communications equipment and associated print memorabilia. The collection includes 18th and 19th cnary printing presses,...
The Cygnet Living History Museum is a central display area and archive for the information, photographs and artefacts pertaining to the history of the Cygnet region and the wider Hvon. Information is being constantly researched and added to the Museum's collection. Visual displays which change quarterly, are used by the museum to highlight topics of the area's unique local history. Past displays have included settlement and establishment of the region, family histories, historic buildings, wooden boat building, timber and other industries, festivals, probation stations and the convict era....
Historical searches, including burial records are conducted and written reports are provided. Displays of historic information, including photographs are mounted at numerous functions within the Derwent valley municipality. Tours are conducted of the Willow Court historical site in New Norfolk. Historic publications are produced for sale to the public.The main collection is of photographs depicting the rural history of the Derwent valley, historic houses, Willow Court ect. And the hop growing industry. A limited number of objects are also in the collection.
A railway museum with working and static exhibits including Tasmania's oldest surviving steam locomotive. Trains run on the hour 10am to 4pm on a scenic line along the Don River to Coles Beach, Devonport. A large and varied collection of steam and diesel locomotives and passenger and revenue stock dating from 1869 to 1954. Stations, Signal box, communication equipment and railway memorabilia.11 x Steam Locomotives ; 7 x Diesel Locomotives and rail cars ; 26 x Passenger/Guards carriages, (50 +) x wagons and flat tray wagons, Railway cranes, extensive collection of tools, engineering equipment...
The museum has been developed solely by volunteers and is wholly independent in that it does not solicit private or government funding. The site is situated very near to the first British settlement of Tasmania at Disdon Cove (1803). The immediate environment is the oldest settled area in Tasmania.The collection consists of documents and pictorial displays. The information has been mounted against a native fauna and flora painted background indicative of the type found in the area in 1803.

The Warragul and District Historical Society collection is held at the Old Shire Hall in Warragul. It includes a large photograph collection, newspapers and artefacts associated with the district's history, particularly its timber and dairy industries.Estimated 2,000 items plus 1,000 photographs. Newspapers (hardcopy and on Microfilm), many indexes of Births, Marriages and Deaths from papers, Society Monthly Bulletin, Photographs, Memorabilia

The permanent display of various steam engines is supplemented by exciting rallies each May and November.Large collection of restored steam engines, traction engines, steam rollers, internal combustion engines, farm tractors, restored farm cottage displaying old wares etc, working 90 tonne steam shovel, working steam powered 'power' generating display.