Aboriginal Culture

The museum is housed in a 100yr old weatherboard home, school and display sheds. A highlight is one of only two remaining Stiger Vortex Rain Guns (used in the 1902 drought). An annual film screen honours Charles and Elsa Chauvel, and the museums has a photo display taken from all of their films.Domestic artefacts and farm machinery, plus typical 1-Room School. Collection of photographs by Charles and Elsa Chauvel (Australian movie pioneers)
The museum is situated in the restored Deputy Superintedents Quarters. The displays depict the lives and personal experiences of both prison staff and their families as well as the prisoners. Copies of original photos from the prison era along with a range of artefacts and written interpretive panels are featured.Most of the artefacts collected relate to the prison era of St Helena 1867-1932 with some post-prison agricultural items also included. The prison was noted for its self sufficiency, evident in the collection range - from library books, sewing machines, leather shoes to machinery...
The Yugambeh Museum is a local history museum researching, documenting and presenting the language, history and culture of the traditional Aboriginal people of the region.Archival records, photographs, objects (traditional and contemporary) language resources.
Caloundra Regional Art Gallery is a 'Category A' non-collecting gallery, curating and hiring exhibitions of national and international calibre. The Gallery's motto is 'Excellence, Education and Equity'.
The Museum is housed in an original river boat "Captain's Cottage" and details the history of Murray Bridge, the importance of the Murray River in the growth of the township and surrounding areas. It also outlines the process of swamp reclamation and the consequent dairy industry which has been a major part of the local industry. Model river boats and cottages are also on display.Approximately 5,500 items, 250 photographs
Eight separate buildings: The historic pioneer house, the one teacher school, the blacksmith shop, the Government Shed are equipped. Sheds house the farm machinery, stationary engines and fir engine, while a separate museum centre contains a library, photographic and interpretive displays, taped histories and various documents relating to social history. All in bushland setting.Kimba's local history museum includes pioneer domestic and farming items, stationary engines, harness vehicles and equipment, vintage trucks and tractors, a water conservation model, schooling and communication...
The museum is housed in the Hog Bay School building, the third school to be built on the site (1922). The first room you enter is the Maritime Room, this displays the history and shipwrecks of Kangaroo Island. The School Porch houses the displays of schooling. The Schoolroom has displays on Early Settlers, including aboriginal women, agriculture, industry, communications and social and domestic life are portrayed.2,000 items, 700 photographs. The displays are organised in such a way that the visitor quickly gains a feel for the history of Kangaroo Island, especially maritime, education, early...
Housed in the 1878 former school building, the Museum features a collection of artefacts and photographs relating to the early settlement and development of central Yorke Peninsula, including its Aboriginal, Agricultural and German heritage.Artefacts and photographs relating to early settlement on central Yorke Peninsula. Archives, Farm Machinery.
The Museum is housed in a former General Store and timber yard. The collection comprises machinery, tools, clothing, photographs and household goods used by early settlers in the district. Each summer holidays an exhibition is held in the museum as an added attraction.Approximately 2,000 items
The Museum houses a collection of artefacts from all parts of Australia, as well as Papua New Guinea, collected by the late Tom McCourt.Approximately 600 items
The Museum, fully accredited by the History Trust of South Australia, tells the story of Millicent town and district through displays based on six themes: Aboriginal, Early Transport (sea, horse drawn, rail), Agricultural, Way of Life, Drainage, Forestry and the Timber Industry. These displays are set out in four main buildings on a one acre site on Highway One.Approximately 9,000 items
This privately owned tourist complex contains an extensive museum housed in 5 buildings with over 100 metres of glass show cases. Over 100 collection are featured, including displays of antiques, gemstones, butterflies, clocks, weapons, cameras, coins, birds eggs, badges, irons, bottles, fossils and shells. A feature of the complex is a display of local reptiles.120 varied collections
The home was built for William Moyle, a Cornwall engineer who operated the adjacent cordial factory and public baths. It is made of local stone with ironwork and illustrates turn of the century well-to-do living. The house is heritage listed and displays a wide range of collections, including period costumes, stained glass, furniture, household appliances, and a doll display. A brochure is available which provides fuller details.Thousands of artefacts including 1,000 pair of salt and pepper shakers, 2,500 dolls, 600 teddy bears
Founded in 1856, the Museum holds collections of natural and cultural history which are among the finest in Australia. Natural history displays of fossils, animals and minerals have an emphasis on South Australian specimens. The Museum's cultural history collections are renowned and include Australian Aboriginal, early Pacific and Ancient Egyptian cultures. The Museum Shop stocks quality merchandise, including Museum publications.The collection at the South Australian Museum has 3,000,000 natural science specimens, 446,000 library items, 100,000 anthropological items, 800 shelf metres of...
Former customs and station master's house built in 1866/67 of Georgian style architecture. Four furnished rooms containing historical documents, photographs, pictures, portraits, displays, furniture and furnishings relevant to the early history of the area and its association with an overseas port and latterly with the railways. Shop with National Trust items, books, crafts, jams, souvenirs. The new Encounter Coast Discovery Centre houses a living display of the history of the Encounter Coast area from 1800 to 1900, with fascinating artefacts and audio narrative.
The Streaky Bay Museum is housed in the old school. It includes the family history of the Campbell family (1864), the Kelsh family (1860) Kelsh pioneer pug and pine cottage, the Freeman family (1856) and Mudge family 1855, as well as machinery dating back to the 1880s.A large collection of great variey. Furniture, household items, farm machinery, historic buildings, horse drawn vehicles, vintage cars and medical artefacts and instruments.. The collection is a source of local history of people and their way of life through the years.
Signal Point River Murray Interpretive Centre is housed in modern, purpose-built quarters in the river front historic precinct of Goolwa. The centre is built in the site of the original Murray Mouth Navigational signal Mast/Station. Displays at the centre celebrate the life and times of the "Murray River Trade", and draws attention to environmental and ecological challenges to the inland river system today.Static displays of local and Riverine History, paddle steamer models, inter-active displays of environmental problems, theatre, geomorphological displays on the origins of the river system...
The contents of the Museum reflect the life of Kapunda through home, work, sport and farming. The Museum covers some 11,000 square feet depicting all aspects of lifestyles and working life in Kapunda. There are important collections relating to copper mining, manufacture of farm implements, the Hawke Foundry and social life. The Kapunda Museum is managed by the Kapunda Historical Society Inc. See separate Guide listing for their other venue, Bagot's Fortune.20,000 items
The Museum has a pictorial display depicting the history of Aboriginal and European settlement of Coober Pedy, as well as all facets of old and new ways of opal mining. The interpretative centre amplifies Aboriginal Dreamtime and European influences. The theatrette communicates an audio visual account of the opal story. Admission includes a tour of an underground house and an original opal mine.
The museum is a National Trust property. It is located on the remains of the Bon Accord Mine site and incorporates the original mine office and workshop (c1859) The Bon Accord Mine commenced operations in 1846 and ceased in 1863. There were many years of inactivity during this period as no payable copper deposits were found. The display in the mine office includes boards with comprehensive information, photographs, mining relics, ore samples and the office pay table from the Monster (Burra Burra) Mine. There are two models featured in the museum - one of a Horsewhim, the other of "Monster...