Building Technology

This historic building (built in 1890) was the home of Henry Plantagenet and Katherine Rose Somerset. Henry was a member of Parliament from 1904-1920. Caboonbah is now the headquarters of the Brisbane Valley Historical Society Inc, and the complex consists of seven buildings: Caboonbah Homestead, Cement Building, Caretakers Cottage (private), the original Worker's Cottage, McGrath Cottage, Police Station and Cell Block. A telemetric service was provided from Caboonbah after the 1893 floods and is still on site and in use.600 collections
The Royal Bull’s Head Inn was built in 1847. The present building is the extension built in 1859. The timber and brick nog construction is unusual in Queensland. The museum is decorated according to evidence of finishes from the 1870’s. This includes hand made wallpaper fixed to calico. The rooms are furnished to represent the better visitors’ accommodation downstairs and the working men’s rooms upstairs. Two rooms survive in original condition.approximately 800 items
A timber homestead built 1870's modified and extended many times. Interpreted c. 1904. The pise walls of the main house were washed away in 1893 floods and the timber frame resheeted in timber with wallpaper some of which survives intact. Moved to its present location in Coominya in 1975.800 items
The only surviving tent house in Mt Isa. The house was built in 1937 as one of many workers houses built by Mt Isa Mines to a standard pattern. This design was thought to derive from tent housing and incorporates a free standing roof and frame covering a separate structure with a canvas ceiling.1000 items
The museum building was formerly a Scared Heart Convent of the Sisters of Mercy; two story timber 15mts x 25mts, internal walls are stained with tongue and groove crow's ash (1946). Yarraman Railway Station (1913) and Arthur Brown's butcher shop (c.1920). The grounds contain a scrub/rainforest area, farm machinery, plant shade house, water wise garden and unique water tank system from convent days. The total area is 1.2 hectares.The collection started in October 1997. Yarraman Heritage Centre has a wide range of community involvement, manly because of the necessity to attract large fundings...
The heritage listed Woolscour, that is once again operated by steam, has been left intact as a living document, it is the lat one of this type in Australia. There is a 20 stand shearing shed attached to the wool washing complex and an open flowing bore nearby. Outbuildings include a cookhouse, shearers quarters and managers residence. It has been left mainly intact. Current conservation work was completed in early 2002, with steam being reintroduced to the site.The collection consists mainly of historic machinery and buildings, large boilers, steam engines, wool washing troughs, large steam...
The Museum is housed in the old power-station building, situated directly opposite the peanut silos in the town's Heritage Precinct. Other historic displays are located in Shire's earliest Council chambers and in Carroll's Cottage (the first building constructed in Kingaroy).The Museum's collection includes machinery used in local agriculture and the district's peanut industry. There is also a collection of tools used in trades such as carpentry, blacksmithing, dairying and the timber industry, as well as household items. The Museum also holds photos and a limited local archival records.
Eight separate buildings: The historic pioneer house, the one teacher school, the blacksmith shop, the Government Shed are equipped. Sheds house the farm machinery, stationary engines and fir engine, while a separate museum centre contains a library, photographic and interpretive displays, taped histories and various documents relating to social history. All in bushland setting.Kimba's local history museum includes pioneer domestic and farming items, stationary engines, harness vehicles and equipment, vintage trucks and tractors, a water conservation model, schooling and communication...
Adelaide Gaol was decommissioned in February 1988. Visitors are taken on a conducted tour during which they see conditions for prisoners, the places of execution and exhibitions of artefacts relating to prisons and prison life in South Australia during 147 years.2,000 items, plus buildings.
The lighthouse stood for 100 years offshore on a reef, 5 miles at sea. When it became obsolete it was dismantled and brought ashore and re-erected in Kingston. The lighthouse is furnished with some of the original furniture and contains all the lantern room equipment. Although not used as a lighthouse , it is still in working order.The height of the lighthouse is 134 feet and one of the few lighthouses with living quarters as part of the structure. Some original furnishings remain in the lighthouse
The Museum is housed in a former General Store and timber yard. The collection comprises machinery, tools, clothing, photographs and household goods used by early settlers in the district. Each summer holidays an exhibition is held in the museum as an added attraction.Approximately 2,000 items
The home was built for William Moyle, a Cornwall engineer who operated the adjacent cordial factory and public baths. It is made of local stone with ironwork and illustrates turn of the century well-to-do living. The house is heritage listed and displays a wide range of collections, including period costumes, stained glass, furniture, household appliances, and a doll display. A brochure is available which provides fuller details.Thousands of artefacts including 1,000 pair of salt and pepper shakers, 2,500 dolls, 600 teddy bears
The display in the foyer of the headquarters of the Australian Antarctic Division (AAD) contains artefacts from the heroic age of Antarctic exploration. The focus is on Australian National Antarctic Research Expeditions (ANARE) from 1947 onwards and current Antarctic research. The AAD manages Australian government activity in Antarctica, provides transport and logistic support, maintains the four permanent Australian research stations, and conducts and manages scientific research programs both on land and in the Southern Ocean.
Port Arthur Historic Site is the pre-eminent symbol and most outstanding example of Australia's convict system.

Port Arthur exerted great cultural influence within Tasmania and throughout Australia as the focal point of a large-scale penal and industrial enterprise which encompassed the entire Tasman Peninsula and Southern Tasmania.

In its peak Port Arthur was the second largest penal system settlement in Australia and was often referred to as 'hell on earth'.

Today, PAHS encompasses over 40 hectares and features more than 30 restored buildings, ruins and period furnished homes from the convict...
The Pilot Station was est. in 1805, the oldest building on site was convict built in 1835 of blue stone rubble walls and convict handmade brick interior, this accommodated 4 pilots and their families and now houses the Maritime Museum, research centre & archives and the Sir Raymond Ferrall Gallery. The other dwellings house visitor accommodation and the Pilot Station crew.Maritime & communication memorabilia, diving suit & air pump, 9 lb cannon, whaling artifacts, items recovered from shipwrecks, signal flags, signal lanterns oil and electric, rope and knot display convict artefacts, depth...
Chauncy Vale, which was gazetted as a Tasmanian wildlife sanctuary in 1946, is located 40 Km north of Hobart and 4 Km east of the town of Bagdad. It is recognised as a valuable heritage and natural environment site. The house of Chauncy Vale named "Day Dawn" was the home of the distinguished Tasmanian children's author, Nan Chauncy (1900-1970). It has been opened to the public as a small Museum to display all her published children's books and their translations and her memorabilia and the furnishings of her time.This bushland home of Tasmanian author Nan Chauncy has been opened as a small...
Established as an artists' colony in the 1930s by Justus Jorgensen, Montsalvat is a cluster of medieval-styled buildings. The Great Hall contains paintings by Jorgensen and other members of the group.
The Italian Historical Society [I.H.S] was established in 1980 to collect, preserve, interpret and foster an understanding of the history and heritage of Italian immigration to Australia. It is the only historical society with this specialization in Australia. The main components of the HIS Collection are the library, the photographic collection, oral histories, letters, documents and official records. Within these collections are the other key sub-categories including diplomatic archives, internment records and newspaper cuttings. The HIS is located symbolically, in the heart of Italian...
Gulf Station is a complete farm complex of timber slab and shingle buildings dating from the mid 1850s. The homestead has a small but intricate garden of mid-Victorian design and within the complex are collections of farm tools and domestic artefacts. Traditional breeds of farm animals are still kept at the station.2000 items, 100 photographs

This was one of several government magazines built for the safe storage of gunpowder towards the end of the 1850s when surface gold mining became exhausted and blasting was required. Miners lodged gunpowder in the magazine, paying a small rent for the service.20 objects.