Historic People

The locality holds over 5000 items relating to Queensland military heritage. It is an all volunteer organisation and includes a research centre and library. Assistance in genealogy and research is offered to the public free of charge. The society is also involved in presenting displays at community festivals, fetes etc.The collection includes a wide range of Queensland related military heritage such as: Uniforms, Firearms, Photographs, Medals, Documents and Flags.
The Building is of prime importance, a lone survivor in a commercial town. Visitors, national and international can discover the classic wild west adventure saga of our history. Know where they have been - not just what they have seen.Community records, huge photo collection, a new display 1.50m "Battle of the Coral Sea" depicting events and location of US and Australian forces in the area. A pictorial history of Douglas Shire" written by Curator (new) "Reflecting on the past".
The Killarney and District Historical Society Inc., has been in operation for about 5 years, it has a small membership of about 30. The Society's rooms are called the Heritage Centre, and consist of the two rooms and a strong room that were the business area of a bank built in 1913. The aim of the Society is to stimulate awareness and understanding of the district's past. To met this aim, the society has published several smaller books on local history, and it maintains a collection of items significant to the area. It had also erected sixty markers marking sites that were important in 1901....
Rockhampton is the only city in Queensland that has has an uninterrupted military presence of a 'regional' Troop since 1859. Our aretfacts and militaria traces this history through the display of uniforms from that time until now along with transport displays and displays of insignia.Because we cater for 'local' memorabilia, our displays have a deep emotional impact on all visitors. We have attempted to cover all conflicts the local troops have been involved in since Queensland's Statehood in 1859. Not only do we have a listing army connection but the Naval Brigade on the Central Queensland...
Claremont is an early stone villa built by John Panton, an Ipswich merchant, in 1858. In the early 1870's it was the home of George Throne, parliamentarian, and a centre for social life.This house is under restoration and is partially decorated with furnishings dating from the 1870's.
The Museum is housed in the old power-station building, situated directly opposite the peanut silos in the town's Heritage Precinct. Other historic displays are located in Shire's earliest Council chambers and in Carroll's Cottage (the first building constructed in Kingaroy).The Museum's collection includes machinery used in local agriculture and the district's peanut industry. There is also a collection of tools used in trades such as carpentry, blacksmithing, dairying and the timber industry, as well as household items. The Museum also holds photos and a limited local archival records.
The Yugambeh Museum is a local history museum researching, documenting and presenting the language, history and culture of the traditional Aboriginal people of the region.Archival records, photographs, objects (traditional and contemporary) language resources.
Caloundra Regional Art Gallery is a 'Category A' non-collecting gallery, curating and hiring exhibitions of national and international calibre. The Gallery's motto is 'Excellence, Education and Equity'.
The township of Rollingstone dates from 1884 and has many historical sites including World War II memorials. The Rollingstones Museum and Vistitor Information Centre is housed in the old Rollingstone Railway Station in Parkland, named in honour of a local war hero, Flight Lieutenant Vincent 'Bushy' Parker. The Railway Station opened in 1915 and ceased operation in 1992. The museum displays objects and photographs related to railway history, a scale model of the station and displays on the history of the Rollingstone township and district.Railway equipment dating from 1915 - 1990, WWII...
We are a community based not-for-profit organisation who collect and preserve paper-based material that focuses on the history of Charters Towers and the surrounding Dalrymple Shire.Charters Towers and Dalrymple Archives focuses on all aspects of Charters Towers history. The collection contains 2,300 records, 1,500 photographs plus mining records including maps and plans.
Since their arrival in Brisbane on 10th May 1861, the Sisters of Mercy Brisbane Congregation have established a variety of significant health, education, and social welfare programs throughout the state - from Townsville in the north, to Roma in the west, and south to Stanthorpe on the border - and missions in Papua New Guinea and other overseas locations.

The Mercy Heritage Centre is dedicated to preserving the work of the Mercy Sisters, and their well-provenanced history, and maintains collections of relevant artefacts. We also serve as a contact for the Congregational Archives, Mater...
The museum is located in what was previously the Unley Fire Station. The Museum collects, preserves, researches and displays items which are relevant to the history of the Unley Council area and which identify its unique character. A permanent display "Unley Remembered" traces the chronological history of the area. Changing exhibitions on a wide range of themes are presented regularly. The ACCESS Gallery provides space for local community groups and organisations to present their own displays.Approximately 3,000 photographs; 4,000 documents; 4,000 artefacts
The Museum is housed in an original river boat "Captain's Cottage" and details the history of Murray Bridge, the importance of the Murray River in the growth of the township and surrounding areas. It also outlines the process of swamp reclamation and the consequent dairy industry which has been a major part of the local industry. Model river boats and cottages are also on display.Approximately 5,500 items, 250 photographs
We are situated on the main street in the Old Telegraph station c.1860. Focusing the history of the building and towns history. McKinlays artefacts (explorer)Small archival records, small collection of photographs, telegraphic memorabilia, household items. Gawler's early industrial era. General items of the towns businesses.
Housed in the former Moonta Mines School is a collection of historical artefacts relating to the Cornish heritage and settlement of the district. Particular emphasis is placed on copper mining. Numerous records, photographs and microfilm are also held. The Moonta National Trust also operates an historic miner's cottage nearby, and an interpretive tourist railway through the former mine site.20,000 items, 5,000 photographs
The Museum is housed in the old police station built 1858 and the court room built 1867, opened in 1974. Main display in the court room is of the settlement and growth of the town from 1840 to circa 1940. Remaining rooms which house historical displays are the sitting room, kitchen, bedroom, nursery, and laundry. Outside are the original cells, stables and static displays of old farm machinery, horse drawn vehicles and 1880s shearing plant.Approximately 5,000 items, 2,000 photographs of local significance. Cottage crafts, craft, decorative arts, furniture, glass, paper, domestic items and...
Housed in the 1878 former school building, the Museum features a collection of artefacts and photographs relating to the early settlement and development of central Yorke Peninsula, including its Aboriginal, Agricultural and German heritage.Artefacts and photographs relating to early settlement on central Yorke Peninsula. Archives, Farm Machinery.
South Australia's Museum of immigration and settlement history has developed quick a cult following interstate and overseas for providing some of the most innovative exhibitions on the museum scene. Housed in the restored buildings of what was Adelaide's Destitute Asylum, the Migration Museum takes you on a journey through time showing you the rich cultural diversity of South Australia. The Museum encourages and enjoys community participation at all levels of activity including the use of forum Commonwealth Bank Community Access gallery where communities mount their own displays.
Adelaide Gaol was decommissioned in February 1988. Visitors are taken on a conducted tour during which they see conditions for prisoners, the places of execution and exhibitions of artefacts relating to prisons and prison life in South Australia during 147 years.2,000 items, plus buildings.
The Museum is located in a former bakehouse comprising grocer's shop, dining room, kitchen, upstairs bedroom and parlour, wash house, underground bakery, implement sheds and portrait gallery. The bakehouse is a special feature and is historically very important.Approximately 800 items plus large quantity of photographs