Historic Site

The museum is located in the repaired ruins of large ornate brick engine houses, built in 1905 for the Beaconsfield "Tasmania" gold mine. This 950sqm space is augmented by a 540sqm new building, outside space and a near-by park depicting the flowery gully school and a miner's cottage. A viewing platform overlooks the surface operational area of the Beaconsfield Mine Joint Venture. Average viewing time for the museum is 1 hour.2,000 items. Relics of Tasmania's largest gold mine 1878-1914, which produced 26 tonnes of gold. Adjacent to a large new mine about to produce gold from the old reef in...
Tiagarra is an interpretation centre for the history and present cultures and art of Aboriginal people in Tasmania. The Museum houses many authentic artefacts in 18 separate displays. Surrounding the Museum is a walking track which features several rock engraving sites.
The most infamous convict station in Van Diemen's Land was built on this small rainforest island and operated from 1822 to 1833 and then again in 1846 and 1847 as a probation station. Many of the ruins can still be seen and restoration and stabilisation work has been carried out there in recent years.15 interpretive signs, 6 major ruins
Port Arthur Historic Site is the pre-eminent symbol and most outstanding example of Australia's convict system.

Port Arthur exerted great cultural influence within Tasmania and throughout Australia as the focal point of a large-scale penal and industrial enterprise which encompassed the entire Tasman Peninsula and Southern Tasmania.

In its peak Port Arthur was the second largest penal system settlement in Australia and was often referred to as 'hell on earth'.

Today, PAHS encompasses over 40 hectares and features more than 30 restored buildings, ruins and period furnished homes from the convict...
The Museum was established in a former lighthouse keeper's cottage in 1980. All aspects of the Island's history are represented in the displays of the King Island Museum. Relics from the large number of shipwrecks around the coastline of the Island are also featured.estimated 2,000 objects and 1,500 photographs
Australia's oldest existing colonial gaol in original preservation offers the only surviving example of female solitary confinement cells in Tasmania and an extensive collection of convict relics. It includes men's solitary confinement cells, chain gang holding rooms, a flogging yard, privy, female cells and gaoler's house. Displayed documents describe the gaol's use until it was closed in 1928, highlighting the exploits of its most colourful prisoners (eg Martin Cash, Ikey Solomon).approximately 100 convict relics, plus documents
Clarendon, one of the great Georgian houses of Australia, was completed in 1838 for the wealthy woolgrower and merchant, James Cox. He was the second son of William Cox who pioneered the first road over the Blue Mountains in New South Wales.

Clarendon, situated on the banks of the South Esk with its extensive formal gardens and beautiful parklands, was given to the National Trust by Mrs. W. R. Menzies in 1962. The first restoration was completed in 1966, and in 1974 was restored to its original appearance by the addition of the portico and parapet. The house has been suitably furnished by the...
The most historic of the Trust houses, Entally is thought to have been built in 1819 by Thomas Haydock Reibey, the eldest son of Mary & Thomas Reibey of Sydney. Shipping interests brought Thomas Reibey to Tasmania as early as 1816.Entally House was opened to the public in 1950 and is justly proud of its magnificent collection of Regency furniture and fine silverware. Set in superb grounds and gardens, Entally has a green house, chapel, coach house and stables also open for inspection.
Woolmers is of outstanding cultural significance because it has continuous association with the one family (Thomas Archer and his descendants), providing and encapsulated record of six generations of the family and the changes to their lifestyle, from the time the land was first settled in the Longford area, to the death of the last heir in 1994. It is the longest association in Tasmania. Woolmers has small museum status.Apart from the original house (1819) and the new additions in 1840's. The Extant outbuildings, workshop, cottages plant and artefacts are a unique record of the scale of...
(i) to preserve & maintain the "Victoria" Powder Magazine building situated on Carriage Drive, Queens Domain, Hobart within the guide-lines laid down for historic buildings on the register of National Estate.

(ii) to establish & maintain a museum relating to the military theme "the defences of the Derwent" from 1803 to 1945, at the "Victoria" Powder Magazine.

(iii) to raise monies pursuant to objectives (i) & (ii) by conducting military re-enactments in period uniform, and by acquiring, buying and selling Tasmanian Colonial & Commonwealth militaria. The assets and income of STVAS, shall be...
The museum has been developed solely by volunteers and is wholly independent in that it does not solicit private or government funding. The site is situated very near to the first British settlement of Tasmania at Disdon Cove (1803). The immediate environment is the oldest settled area in Tasmania.The collection consists of documents and pictorial displays. The information has been mounted against a native fauna and flora painted background indicative of the type found in the area in 1803.
The Rosny Historic Centre, located in the heart of Rosny Park, comprises Rosny Barn, Rosny Cottage and Schoolhouse Gallery. The barn, one of the oldest in Australia, is an impressive example of early stone construction built around 1815. The display in the barn shows the history and development of Rosny Farm since white settlement. Rosny Cottage was built around 1850 and has been home to farmers, labourers and greenkeepers. The cottage is furnished to recreate the atmosphere of Tasmanian homes in the early part of the last century. The Schoolhouse Gallery is a contemporary replica of an...
A visit to the state mine in Wonthaggi is a journey back to the difficult working conditions of the mining days past. Preserved and managed by Parks Victoria for future generations, this original mine gives visitors opportunity to venture underground and gain an understanding of the life of a miner seventy years ago.

Access to the mine today is via a gently sloping inclined tunnel. On most occasions visitors walk into the mine, while those experiencing walking difficulties can ride underground on skips (carts). All groups return to the surface on the skips to save an walk uphill!

The mine...
Situated in the refurbished Old Bond Store, the Movie House runs almost continuous screenings of highlights of Australia's early newsreels, comedy classics and archival shots. At the back of the Theatre is Australia's largest and only working Penny Arcade. Have your fortune told, test your strength and skills, see "what the butler saw" and view a peep show once banned in this country!54 antique penny arcade machines, fully operational
The Historical Society of Mooroopna is situated in the historic Mooroopna Manor, which was previously the Mooroopna Hosipital. The Museum is located on the 1st floor of the manor, in the former hospital operating suite. Displays explore aspects of local history and medical history.Approximately 3,000 items including photographs, certificates, maps, documents, newspapers, instruments, tools, paintings and a library.
The Emerald Museum is a local history museum and archives which houses and selectively displays approximately 1600 photographs, 600 memorabilia, documentary records (including contemporary records) and family histories relevant to the economic, social and environmental history of Emerald and district (within postcode 3782). A collection of original ledgers, stock books and catalogues of the renowned Nobelius Nursery provides a link with the heritage park in which the museum is situated. The Museum also houses the Writers of the Dandernogs exhibit, which commemorated well-known Australian...
Northcote Pottery has been producing terracotta pottery for over one hundred years. The historic site houses a variety of pottery manufacturing business from Australia's largest manufacturer of terracotta garden pots, to small artist studios. The remaining arched brick wood fired kiln has been converted into a potters gallery which exhibits the best of Victorian pottery.
The Society's base is the former Municipal Library (1909), an historic building now owned by the Rural City of Horsham. Its collection includes photographs, glass slides, hard copies of local newspapers (from 1882 onwards), a small collection of locally made items, bottles, pottery, family and business histories and local maps. The Society publishes small books on local rural areas, and an annual historical calendar.Estimated 5000 items, plus 10,000 photographs from early 1870's to present day
Coolart is an historic farming property with buildings dating from the 1860s. A 100 years old mansion houses historic photographs and art exhibitions. Other features include historic trail with access to beach and wetlands with hides and walking tracks.Small photographic collection and small collection of old farm machines
The Cohuna & District Historical Society Inc was established in 1970 and meetings were held in the old library at the Memorial Hall until 1984. The Museum, which received accreditation from Museums Australia in May 2001, is now housed in the former Presbyterian Church (built 1922). A Co-operative was formed to purchase the Scots Church Hall to house and display the growing collection of artefacts, photos and records. Our main fundraising activity is conducted in the old Sunday School Hall where we have Quarterly Trash & Treasure sales. The Archive & Photographic Collections are housed in the...