Historic Site

This double-storeyed century old building features a beautiful staircase, tiling and doors, and stained glass windows. Some original fire places still remain. Entry includes a guided tour of this magnificent building.The display of war memorabilia from World War I and World War II is housed in two rooms of the building. There is also an extensive library. Also large collection of Photographs and Glass Slides.
These authentic gold diggings date from the 1850s to the 1930s and are classified by the National Trust of Australia(Vic). On the property there is a considerable variety of mining remains including small vertical and underlay shafts, adits, open cut mines, quarries, bank sluicing, surfacing, dams, water races, a miner's cottage, blacksmiths shop foundations, house and battery sites which display many of the facets of small to medium scale mining. These relics are located on the most productive part of the Fryers Creek goldfield. Visitors are conveyed by tractor train through regenerated...
Still operating today as part of the Mt Alexander Hospital, this Gothic-style brick building has featured prominently in Castlemaine's history since the gold rush and was formerly used as the Castlemaine Benevolent Asylum. The History Room houses photographs and artefacts from the Castlemaine District Hospital and the Benevolent Asylum.500 items including photographs
To preserve in our Museum memorabilia of Pentridge and Coburg. To encourage in our local schools an interest in Coburg History.2000 items, 3 000 photographs. his bluestone building (on the register of Victorian Historic Buildings) houses a range of local history material, including extensive records of early land transactions in Coburg and Pentridge, photographs of the district and of Pentridge Prison. Artefacts relating to early Coburg are displayed and include two sets of Coburg Mayoral Robes and Town Clerk's Robes. Front room dedicated to "Australia Remembers" displays of both world war...
Commenced in 1866, this building has been devoted to supporting deaf children continuously except when evacuated during WWII, until the present time. The heritage building is still being used for its original purpose. It is one of the few remaining historical buildings still standing, of significance to the deaf community.Photos, books, documents, hearing aids, original register of students, continuous minutes from 1862 to present day, heritage building significant to deaf community.
Original buildings (lifeboat house 1862 and rocket house 1886), house an exceptional collection of maritime rescue equipment from the 19th and early 20th centuries. The collection includes a restored sea-going lifeboat, which was built at the Williamstown marine yard in 1857.Approximately 150 items and 30 photographs. Collection relates to Port Fairy (Belfast) Lifeboat Station - a fine collection of 19th Century and early 20th Century maritime rescue equipment, including a restored and seaworthy 1857 lifeboat.
The authentic site and buildings of this inland port which feature an historic red gum wharf. The collection includes a fleet of barges, original river paddle-steamers, railway carriages, locomotives and a selection of allied steam machinery. A museum shed houses a variety of maritime artefacts. Cruises are available on three working steamers.Approximately 3 working historic steamers plus a museum shed with artefacts
This historic hotel/boarding house (built 1876) houses a collection of furniture, crockery, glassware, gowns, and napery, library, war memoranda, saddlery, pictures, photographs, family histories, carriages, farm machinery, tools etc. The first National Bank built in nearby Longwood (1886) has been resited in the grounds of the museum.Approximately 14 rooms of exhibits, annexe, machinery shed and National Bank, Eliza Furlonge Cottage
Housed in the Old School Building (c1870), the El Dorado Museum includes a collection of domestic items, mining relics, memorabilia, farming machinery and tools of trade. Photographs show the development of mining in the area. Members of the Trust are available to meet and provide information to tour buses and school groups at the Gold Dredge.Estimate 3 school rooms and several thousand items, plus large shed of carriages and farming machinery, including a blacksmith shop
Built in 1858 of local honey coloured granite, the Beechworth Courthouse was converted to a museum in 1991. The original furniture and fittings are complemented by information on the history of the courthouse and displays on the police, judiciary and bushrangers.Approximately 200 items
Percy Aldridge Grainger was an internationally renowned Australian concert pianist and composer. The evidence of his creative life: his archive, personal library and many of his possessions, are preserved in this unique and autobiographical museum at the University of Melbourne.The Grainger Collection is an internationally significant Australian archive and object based collection. It includes: 50,000 items of correspondence, 15,000 photographs, published and original manuscripts, music and archives relating to other Australian composer, musical instrument collection, Fine art collection and...
Occupying a spectacular position overlooking Port Phillip Bay, the Fort was one of Victoria's first colonial defence initiatives. Features include its fortified walls and tower, gun emplacements, powder magazines and uniforms, weapons and illustrative material on the history of Victoria's coastal defence.
The museum illustrates the history of Australian banking and financial services. It displays banking equipment, manuscripts and illustrations from the ANZ bank's substantial archive.Approximately 3,000 items.
More than 3000 Australian and international items relating to fire have been collected and are housed in the original headquarters of the Metropolitan Fire Brigade. The Queen Anne style building was completed in 1893.3000 items
This collection incorporates the Melbourne Open Air Sculpture Museum. It has approximately 4000 historical and contemporary objects including architectural plans, photographs, civic and ceremonial objects, sister city gifts, commemorative objects, and a visual art collection. It is used for research and for long and short term exhibitions. The Open Air Sculpture Museum is a collection of heritage and contemporary monuments and sculptures in public spaces.4000 items
Friends of J Ward Inc is a volunteer group dedicated to preserving the structure and history of J Ward Ararat. J Ward was for over 100 years the place of incarceration of Victoria's Criminally Insane. Built as a prison during the gold rush of 1857-61; was soon redundant and taken over by the lunacy dept. Now considered draconian to house even the Criminally Insane, J Ward is a museum to a bygone era.The Museum at J Ward includes some of the horrifying p of yesteryear and some used not so long ago. The single most important item preserved is J Ward itself. See life as it was in the institution...
'Dromkeen' a graceful nineteenth century homestead, houses a unique collection of original artwork, manuscripts and other pre-publication material from Australian children's books. Artwork from early Australian to contemporary and indigenous works can be viewed in the gallery rooms. Browse in the extensive bookshop specialising in quality children's literature and enjoy a picnic in the gardens where you'll find bronze sculptures of book characters. General admission and education programs are available each day from Tuesday to Friday (excluding public holidays). On 'Sundays at Dromkeen'...
Ellis Cottage, erected 1865, is made of local uncut stone. The cottage is a typical farmers residence of the 1870's. The stone construction is unique in this district as most construction is weatherboard.2 000 Historic photographs, and artefacts.
Overlooking Corio Bay, the Geelong Maritime Museum is located in the stable of Osborne House which was built in 1857. The museum has displays looking at the colourful history of Osbourne House which was the site of the first Australian Naval College in 1913 and the first submarine base in 1921. The museum also focuses on the history of Corio Bay as a port.Naval: from Nelson and Trafalgar to WW11; Maritime: merchant navy, our Corio Bay, sail instruments; Library: charts, maps, maritime and naval reference
The Old Melbourne Gaol is a vivid and stark reminder of the 19th Century prison life. Only one cell block remains of the original complex, built approximately 150 years ago. The gaol opened in 1845 and closed in 1929, and was the site of 135 executions, including the infamous Ned Kelly. Since closing in 1929 the Gaol has been used as a police storage facility and military detention centre during WWII.Three particular features of our collection are an original suit of Kelly Gang armour, Ned Kelly's death mask and Ned Kelly's pistol. The gaol also house a large number of artefacts. Of...