Historic Site

The Royal Bull’s Head Inn was built in 1847. The present building is the extension built in 1859. The timber and brick nog construction is unusual in Queensland. The museum is decorated according to evidence of finishes from the 1870’s. This includes hand made wallpaper fixed to calico. The rooms are furnished to represent the better visitors’ accommodation downstairs and the working men’s rooms upstairs. Two rooms survive in original condition.approximately 800 items
The temple was built in 1903 to traditional Chinese design, complete with imported Chinese carvings and intricate decorations. Adjoining the temple is a meeting hall, kitchen and store.Major building, artefact and site conservation was completed in 2002 following receipt of a $1.3 million Government grant. This also enabled the development of the old Atherton Post Office, which was relocated to the site as an interpretative facility.88 items plus 10,000 archaeological artefacts
We are a small group attempting to preserve the original site of white settlement in the area and the surrounding history. In addition, we are promoting local cultural activities on the site. Our most famous building is made from local stone and is possibly the first building built to metric dimensions in Australia.
The heritage listed Woolscour, that is once again operated by steam, has been left intact as a living document, it is the lat one of this type in Australia. There is a 20 stand shearing shed attached to the wool washing complex and an open flowing bore nearby. Outbuildings include a cookhouse, shearers quarters and managers residence. It has been left mainly intact. Current conservation work was completed in early 2002, with steam being reintroduced to the site.The collection consists mainly of historic machinery and buildings, large boilers, steam engines, wool washing troughs, large steam...
The Building is of prime importance, a lone survivor in a commercial town. Visitors, national and international can discover the classic wild west adventure saga of our history. Know where they have been - not just what they have seen.Community records, huge photo collection, a new display 1.50m "Battle of the Coral Sea" depicting events and location of US and Australian forces in the area. A pictorial history of Douglas Shire" written by Curator (new) "Reflecting on the past".
The museum is situated in the restored Deputy Superintedents Quarters. The displays depict the lives and personal experiences of both prison staff and their families as well as the prisoners. Copies of original photos from the prison era along with a range of artefacts and written interpretive panels are featured.Most of the artefacts collected relate to the prison era of St Helena 1867-1932 with some post-prison agricultural items also included. The prison was noted for its self sufficiency, evident in the collection range - from library books, sewing machines, leather shoes to machinery...
The historic houses complex displays on one site three typical North Queensland houses. These are a simple miner's cottage c.1884, a comfortable villa residence c.1888 and a farmhouse c.1921. The houses are furnished in styles appropriate to each house with an emphasis on items made in North Queensland.Each houses is furnished in styles appropriate to it and with an emphasis on items made in North Queensland.
The Cooktown Powder Magazine was built in 1873-76 to store gunpowder destined for use on the Palmer goldfields. It stands at the far end of what was once the busy port of Cooktown well away from habitation. It has been in a ruinous state for many years but is now protected by a new roof and cyclone bracing.
The Museum is housed in the old power-station building, situated directly opposite the peanut silos in the town's Heritage Precinct. Other historic displays are located in Shire's earliest Council chambers and in Carroll's Cottage (the first building constructed in Kingaroy).The Museum's collection includes machinery used in local agriculture and the district's peanut industry. There is also a collection of tools used in trades such as carpentry, blacksmithing, dairying and the timber industry, as well as household items. The Museum also holds photos and a limited local archival records.
The North Queensland Military Museum is housed in a casemate and magazine built in 1890. The museum is run by the Kissing Point Military Foundation Volunteers. The Museum has three sections: The World War 1 Room; The World War 11 Room and the Magazine Picture Gallery.The North Queensland Military Museum's collection focuses on the period from 1890 to 1946. The collection contains WW1 and WW11 items and a list of all Queensland enlistees. The major focus is on the Kennedy Regiment - 31st Battalion (local). The Museum also has a reference library available to the public.
Since their arrival in Brisbane on 10th May 1861, the Sisters of Mercy Brisbane Congregation have established a variety of significant health, education, and social welfare programs throughout the state - from Townsville in the north, to Roma in the west, and south to Stanthorpe on the border - and missions in Papua New Guinea and other overseas locations.

The Mercy Heritage Centre is dedicated to preserving the work of the Mercy Sisters, and their well-provenanced history, and maintains collections of relevant artefacts. We also serve as a contact for the Congregational Archives, Mater...
The Museum is set in one of the State's pioneering outback stations, and presents displays of folk and local history. Exhibits include horse drawn vehicles, original harness room with harness; general store pre 1900, teachers quarters, blacksmiths shop, coach house lookout, drying yard 1860, and inspection of fossil cliffs by arrangement.
Fort Glanville is the most complete example of a 19th century coastal artillery fort in Australia, retaining its original guns and comprising gun emplacements, magazines, guard room, barracks, gunners mess, officer's quarters and more. Manned by volunteer members of the Fort Glanville Historical Association who provide a unique living history interpretive display of military drill, including cannon and carbine firing. Cannons include; 2 x 10", 2 x 64lbs, 1 x 21b, 1 x 161b.3 active cannons, approx. 7 inactive, display cannons - active original carbines - 10-12 beds - various articles in...
We are situated on the main street in the Old Telegraph station c.1860. Focusing the history of the building and towns history. McKinlays artefacts (explorer)Small archival records, small collection of photographs, telegraphic memorabilia, household items. Gawler's early industrial era. General items of the towns businesses.
A folk museum of memorabilia and photographs mainly of the years 1850-1950. Repository for museum items for perusal of future generationsApproximately 2,000 items, numerous photographs
The Museum is housed in the old police station built 1858 and the court room built 1867, opened in 1974. Main display in the court room is of the settlement and growth of the town from 1840 to circa 1940. Remaining rooms which house historical displays are the sitting room, kitchen, bedroom, nursery, and laundry. Outside are the original cells, stables and static displays of old farm machinery, horse drawn vehicles and 1880s shearing plant.Approximately 5,000 items, 2,000 photographs of local significance. Cottage crafts, craft, decorative arts, furniture, glass, paper, domestic items and...
The museum was established under the auspices of the Australia Remembers 1945-1995 Program. The inaugural display is in sympathy with this Program and commemorates the gallantry in World War II of seven South Australians: a nursing sister and two representatives from each of the armed services. Large maps indicate where their respective awards were earned, complemented by the individual citations and short biographies of the recipients, and augmented by displays of pertinent militaria. Housed in historic, 1850s building where Army and Police Force were originally raised in South Australia....
South Australia's Museum of immigration and settlement history has developed quick a cult following interstate and overseas for providing some of the most innovative exhibitions on the museum scene. Housed in the restored buildings of what was Adelaide's Destitute Asylum, the Migration Museum takes you on a journey through time showing you the rich cultural diversity of South Australia. The Museum encourages and enjoys community participation at all levels of activity including the use of forum Commonwealth Bank Community Access gallery where communities mount their own displays.
Adelaide Gaol was decommissioned in February 1988. Visitors are taken on a conducted tour during which they see conditions for prisoners, the places of execution and exhibitions of artefacts relating to prisons and prison life in South Australia during 147 years.2,000 items, plus buildings.
Mary Mackillop, a woman ahead of her time - her work & motivation. Early education in Australia Father JT Woods - Priest. Scientist - His interesting and significant scientific work in the region. The Schoolhouse - Historic building of 1867. The Interactive centre was built in 1998 - Interesting Architectural design.Mainly text panels with supporting artefacts and early history of Penola and the region of South Australia.