Social History

Historical Museum. 1840's two storey house with tower built by John Newman, an old Etonian. Four outbuildings and garden. General articles of history of the community, Victorian furniture, a 1/2 scale model of the "Endeavour", photographs, the services memorabilia, children's toys, special displays, lace, tools of trades, carpentry teacher aids, laundry, wireless. In large pavilion 2 fire engines, Holden cars, interactive workshop, joinery, machinery, interactive Woodville station railway signal equipment. In upstairs of house - year 2002, special display "below decks" of HMS Investigator,...
Historic building. Development Committee and group of volunteers working to restore the house to original state.
We are a total replica of the HMS Buffalo ship, containing many items pertaining to the voyage that brought the first settlers to Australia.Maritime Objects. History of voyage of HMS Buffalo, convict ship 1836.
The museum is a National Trust property. It is located on the remains of the Bon Accord Mine site and incorporates the original mine office and workshop (c1859) The Bon Accord Mine commenced operations in 1846 and ceased in 1863. There were many years of inactivity during this period as no payable copper deposits were found. The display in the mine office includes boards with comprehensive information, photographs, mining relics, ore samples and the office pay table from the Monster (Burra Burra) Mine. There are two models featured in the museum - one of a Horsewhim, the other of "Monster...
Our museums goal is to tell the story of ordinary Australian motoring. We are a social history museum with a dynamic exhibition and events program. A scenic drive through the Adelaide hills leads to the small town of Birdwood. Our 3,500 sq metres of pavilions display a collection and interpretation that appeals to the general public as well as enthusiasts.
The National Motor Museum is a Museum of the History Trust of South Australia.The National Motor Museum has the largest collection of motor vehicles of any Museum in the Southern hemisphere. The collection is comprised of cars, trucks,...
The museum is located in a heritage building in the heart of the Adelaide central business district. All items in the collection relate to freemasonry in South Australia and the Northern Territory, covering the period from 1834 to the present day. Some items originate from interstate or overseas. A guided tour operates every Thursday at 2:00 pm.The collection contains thousands of items of memorabilia, including regalia, jewels, furniture, glassware, minute books, paintings, warrants, and documents.
The Mannum Dock Museum is located on the banks of the River Murray in the historic river port town of Mannum. The Museum incorporates the paddlesteamer P.S. Marion, the historic Randell Dry Dock and the Mannum Tourist Information Centre.

The Historic Dry Dock is listed on the National Estate and is the only dry dock of its type in the southern hemisphere. The dock, built originally as a floating dock, was installed by Capt William Randell at its present site. The Museum has plans to fully restore the dock.

A building alongside the Randell Dry Dock is currently being refurbished to hold the...
Mount Lofty Districts Historical Society Inc. holds an archival collection of the Mt Lofty districts of Crafers, Stirling, Aldgate, Bridgewater, Longwood and adjacent areas.The collection is comprised of papers, maps, books, photos plus audio and video tapes dating from the 1840s to the present.
The collection has written and historical materials of significance to the Clare regionThe collection is comprised of written, photographic and microform material
Highfield is historically significant for its association with the Van Diemen's Land Company, which was responsible for the settlement of Northwest Tasmania. Highfield was the original headquarters of the Company's operations. The buildings surviving there today were built between 1828 and the early 1840s. At present some of the buildings are being restored. The house is open for inspection and visitors can inspect the restoration works on site during daylight hours.
Main Street Burnie as it was in 1900 at the height of the towns first Economic boom is regarded in this bustling street and include an INN, Dentist's Surgery, A Home, Carpenters, Printery, General Store and Saddlery. Authentic 19th Century materials, colours and Architectural styles have been used in the reconstruction.The collection was established in 1942 and consists of photographs, charts, clothing, tools, personal effects and furnishings.
The most infamous convict station in Van Diemen's Land was built on this small rainforest island and operated from 1822 to 1833 and then again in 1846 and 1847 as a probation station. Many of the ruins can still be seen and restoration and stabilisation work has been carried out there in recent years.15 interpretive signs, 6 major ruins
Located in the town of Franklin Village, the original house museum was opened by the National Trust in 1961. Built in 1838, Franklin House is a charming Georgian residence and a good example of the period, with authentic furnishings and pictures. It includes a schoolroom which functioned from 1842 to the 1880s. An outstanding feature of the interior is the NSW cedar hardwood. It is now the State Headquarters of the National Trust in Tasmania.
The Hamilton Heritage Centre is a small, local interest museum consisting of photographs and artefacts of the area. It is located in the Old Warder's Cottage, which was part of the convict probation station at Hamilton. It consists of a two-roomed cottage with displays, church records, farm and household items and photocopy facilities.Photographs 1870's to 1950's showing rural life and vista of Hamilton. Church records for St Peter's Anglican Church and Cemetery. Records for all churches in upper Derwent Valley. Farm implements and household articles.
Pearn's Steam Museum is a volunteer group dedicated to the restoration and preservation of early agricultural heritage.The collection includes Foden, Birdsall, Fowler, Buffalo Pitts, Avelinga, Porter and Eclipse steam traction engines. Railway memorabilia, stationary engines, associated farm and household tools, implements, tractors, fairground organ, miniature train travel on a 500m loop of the complex.
Port Arthur Historic Site is the pre-eminent symbol and most outstanding example of Australia's convict system.

Port Arthur exerted great cultural influence within Tasmania and throughout Australia as the focal point of a large-scale penal and industrial enterprise which encompassed the entire Tasman Peninsula and Southern Tasmania.

In its peak Port Arthur was the second largest penal system settlement in Australia and was often referred to as 'hell on earth'.

Today, PAHS encompasses over 40 hectares and features more than 30 restored buildings, ruins and period furnished homes from the convict...
This regional public art museum is housed in a converted historic church in the heart of Devonport. It has a predominantly 20th century collection of fine and decorative art and craft, with an emphasis on work by Tasmanian artists and crafts people. Exhibitions are enhanced by public programs including workshops, artists' slide talks, lectures and holiday art activities.arts collections 1,150 items; historical collections 328 items; 50,000-80,000 photographic negatives
The Museum was established in a former lighthouse keeper's cottage in 1980. All aspects of the Island's history are represented in the displays of the King Island Museum. Relics from the large number of shipwrecks around the coastline of the Island are also featured.estimated 2,000 objects and 1,500 photographs
This collection is currently being developed by a committee of volunteers who have been collecting any items related to the operations of the fire service and fire protection both of an historical and modern nature. Currently the museum is a collection only. Its aim is to preserve fire service equipment and memorabilia. Negotiations with the parent body (Tasmanian Fire Services) for public displays facilities are on going.Approximately 1500 items including 10 fire service vehicles
Runnymede an 1840's sandstone Regency villa surrounded by elegant lawns and gardens, focuses on aspects of Southern Tasmania's history. Today, as a house museum, it makes a strong statement about domestic life in the colony in the 1860's. It depicts the home environment of successful business and professional people, rather than that of the very rich. Through the three families who lived there over 120 years, Runnymede has close links with widely separate aspects of the colony's history. First, Scottish-born lawyer Robert Pitcairn, who played a part in the demise of convict transportation,...