The Museum holds a collection of artefacts from the Old World, from the Bronze Age to the Middle Ages. These include decorative pottery and terracotta, glassware, coins, bronze work, stone carving, oil lamps and writing materials from ancient Greece, the Roman Empire and the Near East; a large scale model of the ancient city of Athens; and a collection of cast replicas of classical statues.Estimated 800 artefacts, plus approximately 1,500 coins
A magnificent Northern French Romanesque building. Built in 1866 as the Baptist Church with two floors. This is complimented by an extensive undercover display area for the agricultural, industrial and transport history of Kapunda. Bagot's Fortune is managed by the Kapunda Historical Society Inc. See separate Guide listing for their other venue, the Kapunda Museum.Extensive collection of the social, commercial, industrial and agricultural history of Kapunda.
The museum is located in a heritage building in the heart of the Adelaide central business district. All items in the collection relate to freemasonry in South Australia and the Northern Territory, covering the period from 1834 to the present day. Some items originate from interstate or overseas. A guided tour operates every Thursday at 2:00 pm.The collection contains thousands of items of memorabilia, including regalia, jewels, furniture, glassware, minute books, paintings, warrants, and documents.
Based in the Adelaide Central School of Art, Adelaide Central Gallery began in 1987 as an artist-run exhibition space. Its programme includes the work of well known and emerging artists in all media from both Adelaide and interstate. The exhibitions are managed by a gallery director. Exhibiting painters, sculptors, printmakers, craftspeople and photographers give informal lectures in the gallery on a regular basis. These sessions provide unique insights, especially for students, into the development of an artist's life and work.
Oldest 2 story commercial premises, Built 1875. Underground Bakehouse. Old grocery Shop, Victoriana displays, music room, kitchen, bedroom. Dressmaking establishment, photo gallery, laundry/bathroom. Ironmongery room. Currently establishing large display of items from horse drawn era, in custom built shed, everything is represented of local history, books, histories, photo's and artefacts, outside display of farming equipment, tractors, wagons ect.Local archives and photos, farming machinery from the past, furniture, china, glass, musical instruments, household items each area has a...
A collection of contemporary Australian art dispersed throughout the University buildings. There is no Gallery area exclusively for the collection.Art paintings, art photographs, contemporary art, decorative arts, drawings and prints, glass, pottery and ceramic, sculpture, textiles and weaving. Approximately 1800 objects
A photographic museum commemorating the life and work of prominent Hobart photographer John Watt Beattie. It contains black and white photographs of Tasmania between 1890 and 1930.3,000 photographs and corresponding negatives
This regional public art museum is housed in a converted historic church in the heart of Devonport. It has a predominantly 20th century collection of fine and decorative art and craft, with an emphasis on work by Tasmanian artists and crafts people. Exhibitions are enhanced by public programs including workshops, artists' slide talks, lectures and holiday art activities.arts collections 1,150 items; historical collections 328 items; 50,000-80,000 photographic negatives
Operated by the Glenorchy City Council, the Centre provides a large exhibition space. It also offers workshop facilities for community groups and artists.
The Allport Library and Museum of Fine Arts is one of the State Library of Tasmania's heritage collections. It contains a collection of 18th and 19th century furniture, colonial paintings, silver and objets d'art, fine china and rare and antique books. The collection was left to the people of Tasmania by the late Henry Allport, a Hobart solicitor, and is housed on the ground floor of the State Library of Tasmania.7,000 books and manuscripts, 3,000 artworks, 2,000 photographs, approx 1,000 objects
Created by Mr. Eric Thomas. The main feature of the Gallery Museum is its Photographic collection dating from 1890's. It shows people and places on the west coast of Tasmania, with an extensive display on the mount Lyell diaster, which claimed 42 lives. Other displays include old lamps, silver china, coins, tools and hospital artefacts. Household items and clothing, right down to grandma's undies. There are 22 rooms to roam through with more to open in the future. Enjoy a cup of tea or coffee (small donation) while watching video's on the west coast.Over 900 photographs plus artefacts. A 1912...
Tasmania's state museum and art gallery established in the 1840s as the museum of the Royal Society of Tasmania. The buildings and site are of historical significance and include the first purpose built museum building dated 1863, the Commissariat Store 1808, the Cottage c1810 converted 1828, the Bond Store and Court Yard and Gateway 1823, the Queen's warehouse 1874, Art Gallery 1901, Custom House 1901 and extension of 1966 and 1986. The collections include Natural Sciences (Zoology, Botany, Geology), Applied Science, Humanities (Art, Decorative Arts, Costume, Social History, Indigenous...
The National Trust properties are an integral part of Tasmania's unique heritage. They are maintained by the National Trust for your inspection and enjoyment. Take the time to visit these Properties and experience Tasmania's historic past first hand. See separate Guide entries for each property: Battery Point Walks, Clarendon, Entally House, Franklin House, Home Hill, Old Umbrella Shop, Penitentiary Chapel and Criminal Courts, Runnymede House, White House.House museums of the 1800's furnished in the period colonial and English furniture.
Housed in the Mechanics' Institute building, Sorrento, a limestone building classified by the National Trust. The Museum contains artefacts, Aboriginal relics, photographs and documents, models, nineteenth century fashions and household equipment, examples of early technology, shipwreck relics and memorabilia from pioneering families and the great George Coppin. The museum has received accreditation from Museums Australia.Approximately 4000 items some 2000 of which are photographs. The collection covers the history of the Parish of Nepean, Shire of Mornington Peninsula, ie. Rye, Sorrento and...
Our Museum consists of a house and various out buildings located on two town blocks in Port Welshpool. The collection is spread over the whole area. Our strong point is the early fishing industry in Corner Inlet, including a daily diary kept by the Smith family from 1887-1958. Housed in Welshpool's first residence (1881), the Museum contains a local history collection that includes natural history objects, fishing and maritime artefacts. Original display cases house a magnificent shell collection that dates from the 1800s.Our collection is the contents of the house which is now the museum,...
Mulberry Hill was the home of the late Sir Daryl Lindsay, artist and art administrator, and his wife Joan Lindsay, author. The serenity once enjoyed by the original residents is still evident today in the ambience of the home, which features the work of more than a dozen well known Australian artists.3000 items. Significant collection of paintings, drawings and prints by 20th century Australian artisits including Arthur Boyd, John Perceval, George Bell, The Lindsay family, Rick Amor and others. Geogian furniture and decorative arts.

The Museum's Aboriginal name translates as "home of yesterday". It is housed in a bluestone and brick building built in 1874. Displays, including many photographs, dressed models, clothing and farm machinery, reflect the gold mining rush of 1856. The Mooney and Charles Best collections of Aboriginal artefacts are also featured, the Mooney collection being on loan from the City of Ararat.Approximately 4000 items, plus 1000 photographs

The Clunes Museum is an historic building (1860) in the main street of Clunes which houses a collection of memorabilia from Victoria's first gold town. Displays include agricultural, gold, coins and cultural themes. Reception has a shop where local crafts, souvenirs and local history books are on sale. A research section offers a wide range of records dating back to the early 1860's. The Clunes Museum is run by volunteers. The Clunes Museum is accredited by MAP.The major strengths of the collection of 2,500 objects are photographs and items pertaining to gold mining, agriculture, industry,...
The Latrobe Regional Gallery is Eastern Victoria's premier art gallery. Following an extensive refurbishment, the gallery reopened to the public in June 2003. Seven gallery spaces and a sculpture courtyard showcase the gallery's collection, curated exhibitions and touring exhibitions.Broadly based on Contemporary Australian art post 1971 to the present. There are some historical works related to the Gippsland region and an Asian art collection. Media categories include, ceramics, glass, painting, sculpture and works on paper.
A collector's paradise, the Museum presents over 200 collections in thirty rooms. Set amidst five acres of International Gardens (the Savill Gardens), its special attractions include the fourteenth portable gaol built in Victoria and the state's smallest church.Estimate over 1 million items