Victoria

Victoria

Fisherman's Cottage

The Cottage is furnished in the early 1900s style and contains many maps and photographs. Farm machinery and fishing gear are housed in the implement shed that sits in the Cottage's yard.

Ballan Shire Historical Society

The Society's collection is housed in the Ballan Court House. Built in 1873 and closed in 1983, the Court House was re-opened in 1990 as a local history record and resource centre.

Ambleside Park

Some rooms in the homestead and the outbuildings contain period furnishings, fittings or equipment. There are also displays of photographs and artefacts (including agricultural equipment) relating to the history of Knox.

Creswick Historical Museum

A treasure trove of information on local and district families and social life. mining records and memorabilia of gold rush and deep lead mining. Art works provide a significant insight into the cultural heritage of the area.

Heritage Hill Museum & Historic Gardens

Heritage Hill is a unique historic precinct located in the heart of Dandenong featuring three century old buildings and 2 acres of beautifully landscaped gardens. St James Anglican Church (1864); Laurel Lodge (1869); and Benga Oral History Centre and Garden (1936).

Inglewood District Historical Society Incorporated

The Courthouse was built in 1886 and used until 1956. The building remained at the request of the people with its furnishings intact. It is situated in a historic community precinct established in 1859.

Chiltern Motor Museum

This collection of automobilia includes over 70 hand operated petrol pumps, signs, bottles and racks, auto cycles, oil engines, tins, etc. The vehicles include a 1913 Metz car and a 1928 Chev truck.

McCrae Homestead and Museum

The Homestead has been carefully restored and furnished in keeping with the period 1844-1851. It particularly reflects the enterprise and resourcefulness of Georgiana McCrae, diarist, artist, and musician, who raised eight children in the adverse conditions of pioneering life.

Gardens Cottage

Situated in the Botanical Gardens, this two storey bluestone cottage was the home of the Portland Botanical Gardens' curator. It features a bedroom, nursery, kitchen, parlour and annexe.

East Gippsland Historical Society Inc.

The former Bairnsdale College (1891) contains a display on farming machinery, a bark roof log cabin, a country community hall/school and historic domestic items. Photographic and archival material relating to the history of East Gippsland is stored at the Resource Centre.

Grapevine Museum

The museum takes its name from its world famous grapevine as noted in The Guinness Book of Records. The grapevine, which was planted in 1866 still bears fruit. The museum's exhibits include an antique furniture display, invalid feeding mugs and over 50 jug "samples".

McClelland Gallery and Sculpture Park

This Gallery is housed in a purpose built structure, and is set in 4.5 hectares of cultivated bushland which is being developed as an Australian Sculpture Park.

Bendigo Art Gallery

One of Australia's oldest and largest, this regional Gallery houses a rich collection of nineteenth century European and Australian paintings and decorative arts, plus an important collection of twentieth century Australian art.Approximately 3000 items on display in a gallery area of 2754 square

Ringwood Historical Research Group Miners Cottage

The small, four room miner's cottage is a replica of one destroyed by fire in 1991. It contains basic furnishing from the era of the original cottage. The Research Group also maintains an archive collection relating to the development of Ringwood.

Oakleigh and District Museum

The Society is based in a room within the classified former Mechanics Institute and its holdings include local records.

Broadmeadows Historical Society Collection

This purpose-built building was opened in 1991 and includes a Viewing Room, Archives Room and a Committee Room. The collection includes documents, photographs, slides and a map cabinet.Approximately 51 coloured photos and 360 black and white photographs plus 10 videos and 10 radio cassettes

Chiltern Athenaeum

Chiltern and District Museum is an historic building built in 1866 which includes district records; shire, cemetery, town and district and library of books dating to 17th Century.6,000+ items.

Pages