Victoria

Victoria

Bendigo Gasworks

The Bendigo Gasworks were constructed during 1859-1860 under the direction of engineer Alexander K Smith, and remained in operation until 1973. The site is an internationally significant example of an entire provincial gasworks.

Portland 1889 Battery

The Battery was built to defend Victoria against a feared Russian invasion in 1889. A small collection of photographs and memorabilia are on display, while the underground Magazine and Lamp Passage are accessible by ladder.

Sages Cottage

This shingle and slab hut, situated on thirty-three acres, was occupied by the Sage family from 1853 to 1962. The farm is a working illustration of pastoral life. The cottage is used as a restaurant.

Steiglitz Court House

Steiglitz Court House is partially restored with internal furnishings. It features displays on the early gold mining history and pastoral history of the region, including interpretive and historic photos.

Bendigo Art Gallery

One of Australia's oldest and largest, this regional Gallery houses a rich collection of nineteenth century European and Australian paintings and decorative arts, plus an important collection of twentieth century Australian art.Approximately 3000 items on display in a gallery area of 2754 square

Warrnambool Art Gallery

Warrnambool Art Gallery was established in 1886 and has actively been acquiring artwork ever since. In 1986, a purpose built building opened on the civic green, Warrnambool.

Bellarine Historical Society Museum

The former Drysdale Court House (1880) presently houses a local history collection, index of family histories of the peninsula, pioneer index, index of arrivals by ship at Port Henry, court house furnishings, shire honour boards and plaques, cemetery records, early school rolls and agricultural e

Monash Gallery of Art

A Harry Seidler designed contemporary art gallery which houses a diverse and constantly changing program of exhibitions of Australian and international art, craft and design.

Inglewood District Historical Society Incorporated

The Courthouse was built in 1886 and used until 1956. The building remained at the request of the people with its furnishings intact. It is situated in a historic community precinct established in 1859.

Mulberry Hill

Mulberry Hill was the home of the late Sir Daryl Lindsay, artist and art administrator, and his wife Joan Lindsay, author.

Grapevine Museum

The museum takes its name from its world famous grapevine as noted in The Guinness Book of Records. The grapevine, which was planted in 1866 still bears fruit. The museum's exhibits include an antique furniture display, invalid feeding mugs and over 50 jug "samples".

Stawell Historical Society Inc

Early Stawell newspapers, photographs and records make up this collection which is available for research. (Appointments are advised).

Chiltern Motor Museum

This collection of automobilia includes over 70 hand operated petrol pumps, signs, bottles and racks, auto cycles, oil engines, tins, etc. The vehicles include a 1913 Metz car and a 1928 Chev truck.

Avoca and District Historical Society Inc

This family and local history Resource Centre has an extensive indexed collection relating to local people, places, events and topics along with family history files, birth and marriage certificates and photographs.Over 80,000 index cards listing information on local identities, businesses, towns

North Western Agricultural Museum

The collection consists of machinery pertaining to the wheat industry between the late 1880s and 1955. A rally, featuring working exhibits, is an annual Easter event.Approximately 2000 items

Central Deborah Gold Mine

This mine ceased productive operations in 1954, but has now been restored to an operational level and developed as a living museum. Interactive displays include related machinery and miners' facilities.

Heytesbury District Historical Society Inc

Our collection is partly ship wreck information and partly local history. Also locally made crafts fro sale.100's of written articles, photos, old kitchen ware, albums of local interest.

Warrandyte Historical Society

Louis Michel was the first person to discover gold in Australia. He did so in Anderson Creek, Warrandyte. Many famous artists have lived and worked here, many noted potters and craftsmen have lived and died here. The area has survived severe droughts, floods and raging fires.

Pages