Western Australia

Western Australia

Australian Prospectors and Mining Hall of Fame Ltd.

This museum provides an overview of mining in Australia. It includes displays on prospectors, mineral discovery and the government's role in mining. On the heritage site visitors can tour the 1893 underground mine, watch a gold pour demonstration or try their luck at panning for gold.

Monsignor Hawes Priest House Museum

The Monsignor Hawes Priest House Museum is run by a small group of parish volunteers.

Wynella

This is a privately owned 1913 home, clad in jarrah rusticated cladding, lined in jarrah and stamped metal, with surrounding bull nosed verandas, separate kitchen and maid's room and ablution building and workshop. All furnished at 1920 and lived in as in 1920.

Albany Convict Gaol Museum

A 30 room complex of men's cell blocks and some warder's quarters built in 1852 for imperial convicts shipped to WA as artisans and skilled labourers. Women's cells, the great hall and more warder's quarters were constructed of brick in 1872-75.

Geraldton Regional Art Gallery

Built originally as the Town Hall in 1905, the Federation Academic Classical architectural style of the Geraldton Regional Art Gallery is reflective of civic buildings built throughout Western Australia in the post gold rush days.

Gloucester Lodge Museum

The museum is administered by the City of Wanneroo and has displays of local interest; Natural History of the area, Aboriginal culture and European settlements. The collection is housed in the Gloucester Lodge, a heritage listed building.

Western Australian Museum, Perth

Established in 1891, the Perth Museum concentrated on geological, biological and anthropological research and exhibitions for its first 80 years, with the addition of post-settlement history in the 1970s.

Walkaway Station Museum

Walkaway Station Museum, was originally Walkaway Railway Station, it was built in 1887 (architect was Poole). The building is a two storeyed section, containing Station Master's residence and office - A second building was built for a post master. In 1921 the Railway Dept.

Whiteman Park

Whiteman Park is a large conservation and leisure reserve that also provides a home and operating contect for 5 independent community museum organisations: Motor Museum of WA; Tractor Museum of WA; Bus Preservation Society of WA; Perth Electric Tramway Society; and the WA Light Railway Preservat

Vancouver Arts Centre

Community Arts Centre in a historical building. Two gallery spaces. Permanent home to weavers, potters and wood turners. Six artists spaces permanently used. Other spaces shared by 19 community groups.

Broomehill Historical Society

A small brick building built in 1898, originally a hall then converted to a church, houses a miscellany of items of historic interest, particularly associated with Broomehill and its residents. Displays of copy prints of photographs of people, places, and events are featured.

Morawa Old Police Station Museum

Local shire history from the period of the shire's establishment. Previous to that the general pastoral history of the area is collected including a comprehensive base history. The emphasis is agricultural and social and includes the four other small towns which existed in the area.

Wagin Historical Village Museum

Displays of artefacts, buildings and machinery depicting the early history of Wagin from 1840. We have 25 original and replica buildings, artefacts plus an extensive machinery display. Winner of the Heartlands Tourism Award for 2003 and 2003 and finalist in Community of the Year 2003.

W A Scout Museum

The collection includes scout uniforms from 1914 to the present day; trophies; shields; memorial plaques; chinaware; wood carving; pennants; flags; campfire shirts and blankets; scarves; and badges which depict the history of leader training, awards, and the youth training program in Western Aust

Fremantle Prison

Fremantle Prison is one of Western Australia's premier cultural heritage sites situated on 6 hectares. It was built by convict labour in the 1850s and decommissioned as an operating gaol in 1991. It was the last convict prison built in Australia and remains the most intact.

Pages